Price changes for 08xx numbers!

Guest tsutton

Guest tsutton

Just received this text message on my phone:

From 28 July, we're increasing the charges for calling some numbers beginning with 08. For full details please visit our website at t-mobile.co.uk/08

The site redirects you to http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/services/uk/08/

And... my my, the price increase for some packages is a bit heavy!

Few examples...

Flext - was 10p, now 20p

Freetime - was 10p, now 40p off peak, 5p on peak

Full list at the site above.

I think the price increase is a bit crazy. This includes the 0845 number!

Make sure you visit http://www.saynoto0870.com and get the alternative number, so it can be included with your plans to save costs.

Guest Dark Horse

And the great 08 rip-off continues unabated. Have been using saynoto0870 for years now, it's damn good and means you hardly ever have to call an 08 number. I urge people to get their own 08 number (often for free), give this to every greedy corporate back stabbing monkey you can find, sign up to be contacted by telephone for all marketing calls including those by obscure third parties located in the Outer Hebrides and then stick a 10 min answer machine message on for good measure to earn a healthy slice of the revenue generated (of course, friends, family, potential hot dates, etc. can have your real number :D).

Had a brief chat about 08 numbers in this thread.

Regards,

Dark Horse

A similar thing happened with O2 not too long ago, albeit it wasn't quite as insulting as this. T-Mobile have apparently raised prices so us poor, dumb, sheeple can better understand their complex pricing schemes. I spit in their general direction!

Anyway, when this occured with O2 I contacted them and demanded that my contract be cancelled due to their arbitrary changes; following a successful termination I sold my PDA phone, moved to T-Mobile and got a shiny new one.

Now:

a) The 3g iPhone and Touch Diamond are on the horizon

and

:D T-Mobile are pulling the same stunt

so that clearly:

c) I can escape from my T-Mobile contract by whinging and bending fingers

and

d) God must love me

I have as much loyalty to and respect for mobile service providers as the next customer (zero) so I'm jumping on this opportunity.

Sounds like I really need to finish my saynoto0870 client concept :D

P

It shouldn't be our responsibility to circumvent extortionate 08 number pricing schemes, O2 recommended Saynoto0870 to me when I was asking them to cancel the contract but I had to stand on my principles (read: desire for a new phone).

Guest Kimbie
A similar thing happened with O2 not too long ago, albeit it wasn't quite as insulting as this. T-Mobile have apparently raised prices so us poor, dumb, sheeple can better understand their complex pricing schemes. I spit in their general direction!

Anyway, when this occured with O2 I contacted them and demanded that my contract be cancelled due to their arbitrary changes; following a successful termination I sold my PDA phone, moved to T-Mobile and got a shiny new one.

Now:

a) The 3g iPhone and Touch Diamond are on the horizon

and

:D T-Mobile are pulling the same stunt

so that clearly:

c) I can escape from my T-Mobile contract by whinging and bending fingers

and

d) God must love me

I have as much loyalty to and respect for mobile service providers as the next customer (zero) so I'm jumping on this opportunity.

I thought when o2 did this they didn't give 30 days notice of the change?

I would certainly be interested in getting out of my t-mob contract due to it dont work in my office :(

Let us know how you get on can you

Thanks

Kimbie

I thought when o2 did this they didn't give 30 days notice of the change?

I would certainly be interested in getting out of my t-mob contract due to it dont work in my office :D

Let us know how you get on can you

Thanks

Kimbie

Well it looks like they're not budging, instead offering to cancel the contract subject to a normal termination fee which is my monthly rate multiplied by the number of months remaining on my contract less 4%.

I shall have to investigate further.

Guest pd.ryder

Got mine too. I always try to avoid using the moby for 08xx numbers, they get bumped to the landline - preferably from work :D

Pops off to check out saynoto0870...

:(

Guest rawly

Well, this is a doubling from 10p to 20p on Flext. This is not really good enough, especially for 0870, and even more so 0845 (Lo-Call). Seems to me we are all being made to suffer to fund the 0871 (European) - this would normally cost over 8p at all times (from a landline) as opposed to 0.85p for 0870 off-peak! The end client gets 6p a call to 0871 (0870 was only 2p).

Anyway, I have complaned to T-Mobile. I notice o2 still include all these in their Price Plans. They only charge extra for 0871 - which are more expensive anyway.

I also phoned OFCOM, as the T-Mobile site www.t-mobile-co.uk/08 says "following the latest Ofcom guidelines". Apparently, OFCOM already have complaints registered and they said T-Mobile is being "misleading", as they have not issued any such guidlines regarding these 08 numbers - so there are two separate complaints lodged, one about the misleading information, and one about the 08 rates doubling.

OFCOM said, you would have a case for termination of the contract without any penalties, if you can show that this change will increase your bills.

Not heard back from t-mobile yet.

I notice o2 still include all these in their Price Plans. They only charge extra for 0871 - which are more expensive anyway.

o2 do NOT include 0870 calls in any price plan...

I am still waiting for a second email response from T-mobile, in light of this new information I have also sent another message via the online contact form with the same content as my reply.

Based on my experience when attempting to deal with this sort of thing from O2 is that email is the best option to avoid being cut deals or sold onto something else.

Guest rawly
I am still waiting for a second email response from T-mobile, in light of this new information I have also sent another message via the online contact form with the same content as my reply.

Based on my experience when attempting to deal with this sort of thing from O2 is that email is the best option to avoid being cut deals or sold onto something else.

Indeed. Been 2 days now since I sent a "Complain" response form. T-Mobile usually respond within 8 hours. I should know, I'm used to complaining!

I wouldn't mind so much, but I have lots of unused minutes left on my Flext plan each month. Why can't they charge you Double Minutes or Triple Minutes, instead of charging you separately?

I've uncovered quite a controversey over the 0870 numbers. OFCOM had recommended the Telco's dropping the commission charge on these numbers and making them the same price as a Geographic Number, and also making them part of standard price plans. The Competition Commission intervened at the last minute (May '08) and stopped the consultation.

So, the Telco's are dragging their feet, and I get the impression they have "conspired" to raise prices to annoy OFCOM's efforts to regulate the 08 number market to protect us consumers. It's very involved if you look at the FORUM site at www.saynoto0870.co.uk

To confuse matters further the Mobile operators are in dispute with BT over the whoesale prices being charged. It is a real quagmire at the moment, and we seem to be the Piggies in the Middle.

Edited by rawly

Guest Confucious
I wouldn't mind so much, but I have lots of unused minutes left on my Flext plan each month. Why can't they charge you Double Minutes or Triple Minutes, instead of charging you separately?

Because they have to pay for 08 nos. the minutes you get from them are effectively free to them.

Guest rawly
Because they have to pay for 08 nos. the minutes you get from them are effectively free to them.

True to an extent. In order of carriage costs there's quite a difference between 0800>0870>0871 in that order. The client gets 2p a Minute for 0870 and 6p a Minute for 0871. Skype manage to do FREE for 0800, 10p for 0870 and 35p for 0871.

T-Mobile charging a flat 20p for ALL, means certain people are subsidising other people's calls. In my case of 0870 numbers, I'm not aware the wholesale market has increased it's prices by 100% on these calls to prompt T-Mobile to raise its costs from 10p to 20p.

Edited by rawly

Guest Confucious

I'm not sure if mobile ops have to pay BT for 0800 Nos?

And I'm not saying that I agree with it, just trying to explain why they don't come out of free mins - the amount they charge does seem excessive.

I hate 08 Nos with a passion!

I'm not sure if mobile ops have to pay BT for 0800 Nos?

I wouldn't have thought they do have to pay bt for 0800 numbers... Its just another way of making money!

Ok, still slightly on this topic...

The new phone numbers that are starting to appear like Virgin Radio's 03301231215 and some voip numbers that start 0560. Anyone know if they are included within free minutes? Virgin claim their number is charged at "National Rate" but nobody seems to know about 0560 numbers...

I am still waiting for a further response from T-Mobile.

They sent me a link to their "What it costs" document which I kindly pointed out does not contain any reference whatsoever to call charges being subject to change during the terms of my contract.

It would appear, from what I've read elsewhere, that customer services must elevate this problem to higher levels where a decision is being made about what to do with the customers who aren't just sitting back and taking this nonsense. Of course they could just be completely ignoring my emails; perhaps I'll have to get on the horn and risk being sweet talked into crap I don't want.

Does anyone have a link to the full T-Mobile PDF terms and conditions?