My God, this forum is as bad as the MPx220...

Guest Alkeli

Guest Alkeli

This forum is terrible, and just as bad as all the other MPx220 forums out there. DEAD. Nobody posts, you might get a post or a reply every couple of months, or longer! My last reply was May 27th and that was the last thing posted other than this post now...

I think it's just because the phone itself just sucks... I've had nothing but problems with it;

The poorly designed connector breaks very easily so not only will it not connect to the computer via USB anymore, but eventually it stop being able to charge altogether. Most replies to this problem are "get a desktop charger". Yeah ok, so I want to remove my battery everyday so I can charge it and the phone can't be used while I'm charging the battery. Lame! I even repaired it, resoldered the connection and used epoxy to strengthen the connection. Still started acting up again not even a month after the repair.

Reliability: Installing ANYTHING, even new homescreens makes the phone more and more unstable the more you install. Even before installing anything, the phone freezes on you, has tons of glitches, doesn't work how it's supposed to... Once you start installing things, it gets progressively worse.

Call quality: the MPx220 has NONE at all. Sure I got full bars almost all the time but the earpiece was not loud at all. If I was walking down a busy street or in a mall with people around, I could barely hear the person on the other end. Speakerphone was even worse, using that is only good if you're in a quiet room and the phone is near you. And I constantly had people on the other end telling me to speak up and they could barely hear me through the crappy microphone of the 220. Sure, using bluetooth was a little better but I'm not gonna use it ALL the time just so I can have a clear conversation! I even had other call me from my cell so I could hear for myself, and it was horrible, you pretty much have to speak with a raised voice for people to hear you.

Ringer: Terrible, way too quiet. I ended up making my own mp3 ringtones and edited them to be louder so I could hear them until they were almost distorted and sounded terrible.

Battery: Terrible lifespan, had to recharge everyday with average daily use or it wouldn't make it to the end of day 2. If I was in an area with poor and intermittent reception, it wouldn't last a day because of all the searching it did.

Construction: Not bad, nice buttons and big screen but that's about the only thing good about it. The screen was starting to scramble on me now and then and I had to wiggle it so it would clear up. Clearly the ribbon cable inside is of poor quality.

So in the end, I went out and got a Motorola KRZR K1M and I've never been happier. I don't even care that it doesn't have windows mobile on it because I can still play mp3's, videos and games. Call clarity is excellent and conversations can be heard even when I'm in a loud bar. Speakerphone is very loud and clear, so is the ringer. I only have to charge it every 3-5 days with the same amount of usage that I used on the 220. It's much smaller and still a good looking and solid phone.

Bluetooth works flawlessly and the charging system is great because it uses a mini-USB connection which is nice and solid feeling. Also connects great to my laptop and I'm able to easily add music, videos and ringtones through either the USB cable, or by removing my 4gb memory card from the phone and plugging it into my computer. I haven't had to turn of the phone for any reason, it's very reliable, fast to react to commands and keypresses and I've never had a dropped call.

All in all, I'm glad I did the switch. My MPx220 is now long gone, I threw it in the trash after wiping it and smashing it to bits and I don't miss it at all. Good riddance.

Guest Alkeli

Having a laugh? I love the KRZR... between all my friends, there's a wide variety of phones that I played around with when I decided on the KRZR. Sure there's lots of other smartphones out there but the 220 really killed smartphones for me. Now I'm more than happy to have an awesome phone that works like a cell phone is supposed to, it's clear, fast, reliable, last a long time and never drops calls. I'm not looking back on my decision at all.

Guest Mysterious Stranger

The MPx220 is a 4year old design and never really took off ( in the UK at least) as it was never picked up by an operator unlike the mpx200.

Maybe update to a wm5 / wm6 phone? There's lots of activity around those. Most people who use these forums etc only have the mpx220 as a legacy device - myself included - and pretty much every question has already been answered if you use the search.

M.S

Guest awarner (MVP)

The MPX220 never made it off the starting blocks here in Europe as such. Because the device came out in the early days it missed key areas so never had the following the MPX200 had.

Also don't forget the MPx220 is very old now in the Smartphone world that fewer people will now look in on this section.

The MPX200 on comparison was a cracking device despite it's keyboard issue and lack of reception in weak areas.

Guest not_sure

I had a micro tac back in the day when motorola was the number one player. But now they are history: their UIs are cumbersome, there models well lets say that everything still revolves around the V3 and the market share has dwindled. Nuttin new in fact Motorola have posted some terrible figures.

Dont get me wrong I respect your opinion :D . I just thought it ironic that you started the post with something true but then mentioned you had a, shhhhhh well lets just keep that bit a sercet :( .

I have to eat my words about agreeing with you on the response times on here. Weve had the no 2 MVP on here.

Awarner you have eyes everywhere!!!

<h3 style="font-size: 20px;">

</h3>

Guest Alkeli

Yeah, well all in all, I'm just sorry I picked the 220 for a phone. I googled it and it seemed ok but I should have dug deeper I guess before buying it.

I had a Microtac too! A 650e, it was awesome (at the time) :D , then the startac came out and I wanted one of those instead, but never got one. I think I still have my old microtac somewhere actually, and it still works fine it's just not activated... I'm gonna look for it heheh

• 1 month later...
Guest cdaugh

Upgrade the firmware and you would have resolved many of your complaints. I have found the MPX220 to be reliable with very few glitches, etc. The call quality (with upgraded firmware) is very good. Battery life is average. I did upgrade to a new phone because I needed a keyboard and wanted a better camera. I also wanted the improved Exchange functionality in the newer Windows versions. I now use the MPX220 as a backup and it still works great when needed.

Guest Confucious

The Mpx220 was never a 'good' phone and it's now 4 years old. Motorolas have awful menus and are not very popular now (at least in the UK) just searched the krzr k1m and it got 7.3 out of 10 on cnet by the reviewer, but only 5.7 by actual users. I've no doubt you'll be complaining about it in a couple of years but if you're happy with it now that's the main thing :D