Diamond on Orange - testing

Guest Skilty

Guest Skilty

Just thought I'd share this info, i'm sure other's will have contacted Orange/other networks to see when the Diamond will be released but here's what I was told today from Orange upgrades....

"we have been testing the device for the last 2-3 weeks, although I can't give you an exact date on when the testing will be finished, I can text you as soon as it is"

Now.... i've been on Orange long enough to know that I'll probably not recieve the text from them (not the greatest at customer support eh?) but I thought it was interesting that they've been testing it for a while and it sounds like the release is imminent

Anyone else tried Orange (or other networks) and been given release dates??

Guest WearTheFoxHat

Meh ... Orange haven't been testing the device ... they have had their code monkeys ripping it's guts out, and sticking on the tacky orange themes. Then getting that packaged up and sent to the manufacturer.

Guest jimbouk

Yeah, I was impressed with he Orange Music integration on the one I saw.

O always "test" new WM devices for about four weeks before launch. I am expecting the earliest handsets to ceep out next week...

Guest spacerace

I was in the local Orange shop here on Monday. Asked about the dummy handset so I could get a feel for the size of it (very nice and small to hold - definitely sold me on it) and he said they'd had the dummy unit for about a week (I was the first to ask to see it) and that they generally get the dummy units about 2 weeks before release, so I'm hoping for a release next week! Of course this is nothing more than a guess.

They added me to a notification list and promised to call when it was available. Again, I won't hold my breath for that call!

Guest spacerace

Incidentally, here is a review of the Orange branded Diamond (in German unfortunately) but the version they have seems to be bundled with TomTom6 which would be very nice if Orange UK did too....

Guest Paul (MVP)

Hmmm, TT6 as opposed to TT7 on the O2 Germany version?

TT6 is fairly crippled nowadays as it can't use the new V7 maps!

P

Guest LeiChat
Incidentally, here is a review of the Orange branded Diamond (in German unfortunately)
Hmmm.

Wish you hadn't linked to that as the first two videos alongside the iphone are a little dissapointing...

Is it really that slow? Seems almost unresponsive when compared to the iphone. :D

Guest wardy
Hmmm.

Wish you hadn't linked to that as the first two videos alongside the iphone are a little dissapointing...

Is it really that slow? Seems almost unresponsive when compared to the iphone. :D

To be fair he is not exactly giving the phone much of a chance . Its an after thought slide after the iphone. Mine is fast through the menus and accurate.

Guest LeiChat

Popped into Watford Orange shop today and the sales guy kindly brought out the dummy for us to have a look at.

They're expecting stock in a couple of weeks, no prices yet.

I also asked if he knew if Orange would be bundling any GPS software, he thought it unlikely.

Guest spacerace

Spoke to Orange Premier CS today - they had a document sent round to them this morning that has the Diamond as being available 30th June (next Monday)

I confirmed that would be from Orange CS and In Store on that day.

Guest Skilty
Spoke to Orange Premier CS today - they had a document sent round to them this morning that has the Diamond as being available 30th June (next Monday)

I confirmed that would be from Orange CS and In Store on that day.

Cool.... did they give you any idea on Price with a contract??

Guest deadphill

With these data rich phones and the lack of any decent price plans for data on orange, why are people still using orange?

Not being sarcastic, Im genuinely interested!

Phill

Guest spacerace
Cool.... did they give you any idea on Price with a contract??

Well all they told me was that they were pretty sure it would be free to tier 5 customers - think that's either of the Panther plans, and the older Premier plans. They wanted to move me to Panther and confirmed I would still have the same upgrade eligibility anyway. Didn't mention if that would be 18months but it usually is.

I did find at last upgrade however that Orange CS really didn't want to give me 12 months and pushed the handset price up for it, however I went and did the upgrade in a store and got 12months with free handset no problem, so will be trying that again!

Guest jimbouk
With these data rich phones and the lack of any decent price plans for data on orange, why are people still using orange?

Not being sarcastic, Im genuinely interested!

Phill

They don't make it easy but I am currently out of contract and as they couldn't renew my orange world unlimited bunlde, they have given me their Orange Business Services 250mb bundle for free until I decide whether to go for the Diamond or leave for an Iphone 2.

Guest deadphill

With Vodafone reportedly selling the touch on PAYG for £230 and an unlock tool already posted over at xda devs (apparently) I would go for the Iphone 2 and go and buy that from Vodafone. Get the best of both worlds!

Guest Sean Saunders

Ive just spoken to someone high up in orange that a friend of mine knows... apparently they have only had the devices delivered to their central hub yesterday, so there is still testing and development to do on the devices.

The guy i spoke to seems to think late July for launch, and it will be chargable on all tariffs for the first 3 months.

"dont shoot the messenger" thats what i was told anyway.... I WANT ONE BADLY DAMNIT ORANGE!

Guest spacerace
Ive just spoken to someone high up in orange that a friend of mine knows... apparently they have only had the devices delivered to their central hub yesterday, so there is still testing and development to do on the devices.

The guy i spoke to seems to think late July for launch, and it will be chargable on all tariffs for the first 3 months.

"dont shoot the messenger" thats what i was told anyway.... I WANT ONE BADLY DAMNIT ORANGE!

well the day it gets released to customers always varies depending upon who you speak to, but the comment that it's only just arrived for testing directly contradicts with what I was told at the start of this week - that it was already IN testing. sadly I'd back your 'source' more than I would a CS rep but I hope your info is wrong!

Guest jimbouk

I was today told the terms and conditions for the new 500mb "unlimited" plan are now on their system ready for 1st July launch and that the handset will be available next week.

I am rethinking going to 02 for an iphone2 - if O give me two diamonds and 500mb data each included in the tariff...

Guest steve_smith
well it definitely wasn't released today. Orange CS suddenly have 'no date' on the system! hoping this week sometime.

Make of it what you will, but I just "spoke" to someone via the "Click2Chat" thing on the Orange website, and asked when the HTC Diamond would be available, and was told from midnight tonight!

Probably bogus information, but will be interesting to see. If the rumours I heard about Racoon 35 coming with 500Mb a month of data allowance are true, this will be all the reason I need to leave T-Mobile and go back to Orange I think :D However, the person on the web chat couldn't confirm that. Only that Panther would come with 250Mb a month...