T-Mobile introduce HSUPA 1.4mbs Upload Speeds!

Guest Mark

Guest Mark

As of today (1st July) T mobile are introducing HSUPA (High Speed Uplink Packet Access)

This means that the upload speed is now 1.4mbs (up to) which combined with HSDPA should provide speeds of up to 7.2mbs downstream and 1.4mbs upstream.

According to the ISPreview article this will be rolled out to Greater London first with most major cities to follow by the end of the year.

The full article can be found here: http://www.ispreview.co.uk/news/EkEulAlpZAiCUBmKyk.html

Guest deanparkr

is HSUPA compatible with HSDPA phones?

For example if HSUPA was enabled on an HSDPA phone would there be any increase in upload speeds?

Is T-Mobile the first to introduce this? T-Mobile always seem the be the first to introduce new technologies! Good on them!

Guest Confucious

HSUPA is not the same as HSDPA - ie a phone that is HSDPA enabled is not automatically HSUPA enabled - you will need a phone that supports HSUPA - they are rare but as with HSDPA will become more common.

or so I believe....

Guest FlangeArtist
As of today (1st July) T mobile are introducing HSUPA (High Speed Uplink Packet Access)

This means that the upload speed is now 1.4mbs (up to) which combined with HSDPA should provide speeds of up to 7.2mbs downstream and 1.4mbs upstream.

According to the ISPreview article this will be rolled out to Greater London first with most major cities to follow by the end of the year.

The full article can be found here: http://www.ispreview.co.uk/news/EkEulAlpZAiCUBmKyk.html

Anyone got connected to HSUPA yet? Is there a setting you have to enable on your HTC Touch Diamond (which supports HSUPA), or do you need to get T-Mobile to do something, or is there something else that you need to do?

Guest deadphill

If this is the case then I think this is going to become my new isp! That upload rate is 3x faster than virgin cable!

Guest FlangeArtist
No idea! :D

P

Hmmm. Perhaps we should start a pole, to see if anyone has got a HSUPA connection or not (by checking 'connectivity', mine says "T-Mobile Internet (HSDPA)".

Also, what's the point of launching it, if no-one knows how or if they are using it?

Guest Paul (MVP)
Hmmm. Perhaps we should start a pole, to see if anyone has got a HSUPA connection or not (by checking 'connectivity', mine says "T-Mobile Internet (HSDPA)".

Also, what's the point of launching it, if no-one knows how or if they are using it?

How do you start a pole? :D

Incidentally, on the Diamond, I think HSUPA is disabled by default!

P

Guest FlangeArtist

Found it myself. In registry go to:

HKLM\Software\HTC\AdvancedNetwork and change the key "SupportHSUPA" from 0 to 1.

Then go to Settings > Connections > Advanced network. You will see that this has changed from a simple tick box, to a full drop down. In the drop down, set to "Enable HSDPA/HSUPA".

Havent actually connected to any HSUPA yet here in Birmingham UK, but here is hoping that others will! Let me know!

Guest FlangeArtist
I told you half the fun i finding out for yourself :D

Good find!

Trying to do a before and after test using Mobile Speed Test (DSLReports) to see if there is any difference, but am having trouble with their site...typical :-)

Guest tsutton

I'm assuming "Advanced network" in Settings -> Connection is something new for the Diamond? My phone is WM6.1 and I do not have it.

Guest FlangeArtist
I'm assuming "Advanced network" in Settings -> Connection is something new for the Diamond? My phone is WM6.1 and I do not have it.

I believe so. I don't remember it on my Kaiser (TyTN II).

Guest FlangeArtist
It's not on the Athena running WM6.1 nor is the registry setting - looks like it is Diamond specific.

I would think that at the moment as the Diamond is the only phone with HSUPA capabilities, that it probably is specific to this device.

Guest tsutton
I would think that at the moment as the Diamond is the only phone with HSUPA capabilities, that it probably is specific to this device.

The spec sheet for MDA Vario III states HSUPA is supported for this phone... so not sure why it doesn't exists in the registry.

Guest Confucious

Not sure where you got those specs Tony but AFAIK the Kaiser doesn't have HSUPA so probably an error in the specs for the Vario III

Guest Mark

I can't get an answer from o2 but their website states upload speeds of upto 2mb...

Just got my diamond but I very rarely get 3g coverage anyway to try it...

Guest Mark

Nor did I but their business usb dongle and pcmcia cards both describe "Up to 2mb Upload and 7.2mb Download"

When I phoned them I got passed around everywhere as nobody really knew. I was promised a call back and never got one...

Guest tsutton

Been digging around again, and it seems that some sites lists HSUPA, other "recent" (i.e. before announcing MDA Vario III to public) reports are saying it doesn't support HSUPA.

I would imagine it has been dropped when they released it. :D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest humph12345

Vodafone have had it enabled since most of there sites where upgraded to HSDPA a couple of years ago.

No one has been able to use it, but it allowed companies to test new devices.

As with HSDPA, all site s are not the same, you may get the HSDPA or HSUPA indicated but it all depends on the capacity of the site and how busy it is.

Having upgraded sites recently, T-Mobile are having to go back and put in more capacity because these sites are going into data congestion already.

What really increases data is something that isn't visible to the user and that IMA grouping, this greatly increases data capacity.

T-Mobile risk becoming a victim of their own sucsess. Better data rates attract more customers, who use more data and lead to a poorer network.