Paul's complete guide to installing OSX Leopard on your MSI Wind / Advent 4211

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest henbravo

Hey

I have an issue after step 28

during the setup wizard at "Do you already own a Mac?" the screen freezes and takes me to the beginning of the setup screen with the whole Country that I live in.

I have not replaced the wifi card on my MSI U100-439US

any suggestions?

Guest Bitmaven

First off, thanks so much for compiling such a lovely bit of info in one place.

Despite hunting around on the Net for the better part of an evening, I'and reading through these forums, I've been unable to find the answer to a particular problem I'm having:

I'm trying to get a bootable flash drive working with the MSIWindOSX86.iso distro running. So far, I've managed to get everybody copied on to an acceptable flash drive, but I'm running into a huge quandry when it comes to making that drive bootable.

After searching the net, i've come to the conclusion that the main problem is that OSXTools86, which is necessary in the "make bootable" equation is only available for 10.5 (Leopard). Although I've seen various tools for how to get this working on a windows box, I've seen nothing on how to make the flash drive bootable when you're running OSX 10.4 (Tiger). Or rather, I've seen no tools that will work to make it bootable for 10.5 (there are utilities, such as Pacifist that will do this very thing if you're just trying to install 10.4 on a flash drive). Therefore, I'm appealing to the lazyweb -- has anyone figured out a solution around this problem?

So far, I've tried the logical -- making a bootable partition via diskutility and then copying over the MSIWind disk image, but that mostly just leaves me with a blank screen. Does anyone know if you can make the flash drive bootable by just running the windows boot manager software on a flashdrive?

Is there something massive that I'm missing here? Is it physically impossible? Inquiring minds would love to know!

Thanks muchly!

Guest joelw135
First off, thanks so much for compiling such a lovely bit of info in one place.

Despite hunting around on the Net for the better part of an evening, I'and reading through these forums, I've been unable to find the answer to a particular problem I'm having:

I'm trying to get a bootable flash drive working with the MSIWindOSX86.iso distro running. So far, I've managed to get everybody copied on to an acceptable flash drive, but I'm running into a huge quandry when it comes to making that drive bootable.

After searching the net, i've come to the conclusion that the main problem is that OSXTools86, which is necessary in the "make bootable" equation is only available for 10.5 (Leopard). Although I've seen various tools for how to get this working on a windows box, I've seen nothing on how to make the flash drive bootable when you're running OSX 10.4 (Tiger). Or rather, I've seen no tools that will work to make it bootable for 10.5 (there are utilities, such as Pacifist that will do this very thing if you're just trying to install 10.4 on a flash drive). Therefore, I'm appealing to the lazyweb -- has anyone figured out a solution around this problem?

So far, I've tried the logical -- making a bootable partition via diskutility and then copying over the MSIWind disk image, but that mostly just leaves me with a blank screen. Does anyone know if you can make the flash drive bootable by just running the windows boot manager software on a flashdrive?

Is there something massive that I'm missing here? Is it physically impossible? Inquiring minds would love to know!

Thanks muchly!

Hi, I am new and am planning on getting the MSI Wind and have been going from post to post and forum to forum trying to get the info needed for the installation of OSX. The more I look the more confused I get. Is there a one place all in one location to get the info and the downloads necessary? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Like the others posting, thanks to Paul for the great instructions and video. I had no problem getting the Wind up and running very stably with OSX 10.5.4.

Subsequent to the post, 10.5.5 and 10.5.6 have been released. In completing the instructions Paul provided, I ran the update and installed 10.5.6 and everything else to bring me up to date. Could no longer boot after that. Started over and re-did everything to install up to 10.5.4. Reluctant to try any of the updates because I prefer not to do the install again.

Also went out and go the Realtek Wifi driver, though when checking System Profiler there are not any PCIE devices listed, though I can turn on/off the wifi card via the keyboard.

Any input on upgrades and things to drive on the Wifi driver.

Thanks again for your help.

what up paul :D

first off, excelent job with the guide!!! thanks much for your time and effort into making this possible.

secondly, i have an issue booting now after i installed SwitchResX, which another member posted claiming it would fix the 1024x600 display resolution problem. iam 100% sure i didnt put in correct values for horizontal and vertical sync and now this is why im starring at a pretty blue screen <_< . i know i should have looked up those value but i gave it a stab with the following:

vert: 40-60

hor: 40-60

res: 1024x600

refresh: 60

since this has been done i have been unable to safe boot, nor use darwin to boot with a command such as "-v graphics mode = 800x600x60, nor am i even able to boot from kalway install cd. this is what is displayed when trying to boot kalway disc:

Loading Darwin/x86

Loading kernel mach_kernal

Loading HFS+ file: [mach_kernel] from 422d690.

EBIOS read error: Controller or device error

Block 6057824 Sectors 64

Block 6057824 Sectors 64

Block 6057824 Sectors 64

and seems to be continual trying...... :)

any suggestions at all would be much appreciated!! keep in mind i did accomplish a clean install of osx and seem to work fine untill i installed SwitchResX and i did also try SwitchResX FAQ and not much help there. cheers

Tecra

Guest joelw135

If I plan to use the MSIOSX86 from Pirates Bay do I need Pauls utility files.? Or do I just need the driver for the WiFi card? And if using the MSIOSX86 can I upgrade to the latest OSX? As You see I am a novice and want to go the easest way.

If I plan to use the MSIOSX86 from Pirates Bay do I need Pauls utility files.? Or do I just need the driver for the WiFi card? And if using the MSIOSX86 can I upgrade to the latest OSX? As You see I am a novice and want to go the easest way.

what up joelw135

the easiest way is to follow the guide from Paul, i would expect this to be the easiest route as it has been tried and true! cheers

what up paul :)

first off, excelent job with the guide!!! thanks much for your time and effort into making this possible.

secondly, i have an issue booting now after i installed SwitchResX, which another member posted claiming it would fix the 1024x600 display resolution problem. iam 100% sure i didnt put in correct values for horizontal and vertical sync and now this is why im starring at a pretty blue screen <_< . i know i should have looked up those value but i gave it a stab with the following:

vert: 40-60

hor: 40-60

res: 1024x600

refresh: 60

since this has been done i have been unable to safe boot, nor use darwin to boot with a command such as "-v graphics mode = 800x600x60, nor am i even able to boot from kalway install cd. this is what is displayed when trying to boot kalway disc:

Loading Darwin/x86

Loading kernel mach_kernal

Block 6057824 Sectors 64

Block 6057824 Sectors 64

Block 6057824 Sectors 64

and seems to be continual trying...... :)

any suggestions at all would be much appreciated!! keep in mind i did accomplish a clean install of osx and seem to work fine untill i installed SwitchResX and i did also try SwitchResX FAQ and not much help there. cheers

Tecra

..........GULP

i hella just deleted all partitions and smooth sailing w/ a clean XP SP3 install to get back to mfg specs. <_< BORING

anyway, was hoping to understand Darwin/x86 bootloader more and trying to determine if I should install slackware linux first (with or without LILO?) OR OR OR kalway osx leopard with Darwin/x86? which comes first, slackware or osx? :D anyone have any answers out there?

Guest joelw135
what up joelw135

the easiest way is to follow the guide from Paul, i would expect this to be the easiest route as it has been tried and true! cheers

All I am trying to ask is if I use the new MSIWINDOSX86 on Pirates bay do I still need what Paul lists A DVD containing Kalyway 10.5.2 install (you can find this on the usual 'torrent sites')

- The Kalyway 10.5.3 upgrader (as above) on a USB stick or CD/DVD. As I understand this build has all the others. That is my question.

Last update: 14/07/08 - video and images online!

What you need to install OSX on your Wind

Here's a list of what you MUST have to install OSX on your Wind...

- An external DVD drive

- A DVD containing Kalyway 10.5.2 install (you can find this on the usual 'torrent sites')

- The Kalyway 10.5.3 upgrader (as above) on a USB stick or CD/DVD

- The official 10.5.4 DELTA update from here on a USB stick or CD/DVD. Do NOT use the Combo updater.

- My Wind driver and utility pack (download here) on a USB stick or CD / DVD

And here's an item you really SHOULD have to install OSX on your Wind...

- A proper licenced copy of Leopard

Now, of course you could install without the above item, but i'm in favour of being fair to Apple. Regardless of the intricacies and enforcability (or otherwise) of the EULA, it's playing fair to buy a licence for Leopard if you plan to use it on a machine. IMHO anyway. It's up to you of course, but it makes me feel better! I look at it as 'Apple won't build me a 10" notebook so I have to do it myself' :)

I also have upgraded my RAM to 2GB... very cheap indeed at Play.com!

Disclaimer

Of course, installing OSX on your Wind is gonna wipe whatever is on there already. I'm sure you know that already ;) Also, if anything goes horribly wrong, you're following my guide at your own risk m'kay? :P

Before you start - ensure you have BIOS version of at least 1.05 installed! You can view the BIOS version by entering the BIOS setup (press 'del' at startup).

- MSI machines: download your BIOS update here

- Advent machines: download your BIOS update here

After updating your BIOS, enter BIOS setup and press F9 to 'restore best performance defaults'. This step is VITAL!

Step by Step - installing OSX on your Wind

1. Insert the Kalyway 10.5.2 disk into your external DVD drive, and plug it into your Wind

2. Start your Wind, and press F11 when prompted to choose a boot device. When the blue list pops up, select your DVD drive

3. When prompted to hit a key to boot from CD/DVD, hit a key.... you'll see a ton of text scroll up the screen - just sit tight :(

4. You'll next be presented with your language select screen. I imagine you want English, so just hit enter! It'll then sit doing 'Preparing Installation' for a while.

5. When you get the 'Welcome' screen, don't hit continue straight away! Move your point to the 'Utilities' menu, and select 'Disk Utility'.

6. When the Disk Utility application has loaded, click your main drive in the left hand pane (probably the very top entry, 'WDC WD800 or similar')

7. Click 'Partition' on the right hand pane.

8. Under 'Volume Scheme', click '1 partition'.

9. Give your disk a nice name. I chose 'Leopard'. Original, I know!

10. Click 'Apply'

11. Wait for it to do it's thing, then select 'Quit Disk Utility' from the 'Disk Utility' menu.

12. You'll now be taken back to the installer welcome page. Click 'Continue'.

13. Click 'Agree' when the legalese blurb pops up.

14. Choose a destination drive - obviously the one you just partitioned! Click 'Continue'.

15. Click 'Customize'.

16. Completely uncheck 'Language Translations'.

17. Expand 'Kernels' and select ONLY 'kernel_vanilla_92'

18. Expand 'Graphics_Drivers', expand 'Intel_GMA' and select ONLY 'GMA950'

19. Completely uncheck 'Audio_Drivers'.

20. Expand 'Networks_Drivers'. and select ONLY 'RTL1000'.

21. Completely uncheck 'Mobo_Chipsets'.

22. Completely uncheck 'Thirds_Applications'.

23. Expand 'Patches' and select 'TimeMachineFix' and 'PowerManagement_bundle'.

24. Click 'Done'

25. Click 'Install' and go and make yourself a cup of tea! :)

26. The install will now take place, if you want to speed it up, you can 'Skip' the installation DVD check.

27. re: the Time Remaining calculation, it's not really that accurate. In particular, the 'Time Remaining: About a minute' is pretty optimistic :D

28. When the 'Install Succeeded' screen appears, eject the install DVD and hit 'Restart'.

29. OS will now start up for the first time, and take you through the setup wizard.

30. When you have booted into OSX for the first time, insert the disk containing the Kalyway 10.5.3 update.

31. Run '1_Kalyway_UpdCombo10.5.3.pkg' and step through the installation process. Do NOT hit restart when prompted!

32. After the above install has completed, run '2_kalyway_10.5.3_kernel.pkg' and step through the installation process. Select the 'vallina_kernel_9.3' kernel.

33. Restart your Wind.

34. When prompted to do so, press F8 to interrupt the Darwin startup.

35. Type 'update -v' (without the quotes obviously), and press enter. Your Wind may reboot a couple of times during this update process. Don't panic!

36. When you have booted back into OSX, insert the disk containing the 10.5.4 delta update.

37. Double click the 'MacOSXUpd10.5.4.dmg' to mount the image.

38. After the image has mounted, run 'MacOSXUpd10.5.4.pkg' and step through the installation process. Restart when prompted.

39. When you have booted into OSX, insert the disk containing my Wind driver and utility pack.

40. Select the 'utilities' directory in my pack.

41. Drag 'kext helper b7' somewhere helpful. Your 'Applications' folder for example.

42. MAKING CPU SHOW U CORRECTLY IN ABOUT THIS MAC: Double click 'AboutThisMac' in the 'utilities' directory and step through the installation process.

44. ENABLING SOUND: Change to the 'sound' directory and double click 'AzaliaAudio.pkg' and step through the installation process. Do NOT hit restart when prompted!

45. GRAPHICS, BATTERY ICON, ABOUT THIS MAC FIXES / MACHINE TYPE COMPATABILITY, ETHERNET AND SLEEP ON LID CLOSED: Change to the 'kexts' directory. Run kexthelper, and drag all of the .kext files in this directory to it's window. Switch to the kexthelper window, input your password, then click 'Easy Install'.

46. Reboot!

47. Run 'System Preferences' -> 'Energy Saver' and select 'Show Details'. Select 'Options' and then 'Show battery status in menu bar'.

47. FIXING KEYBOARD MAP (UK keyboard layouts only): Change to the 'kaylayout' directory on my Wind driver and utility pack, and copy 'Advent 4211.keylayout' to '\Library\Keyboard Layouts'. Run 'System Preferences' -> 'International', and click 'Input Menu'. SCroll down the list until you see 'Advent 4211'. Click the checkbox, and you will see a flag appear in your menu bar. Click this to select the Advent layout.

48. Almost done! All you need to do now is to get a network connection (either by Ethernet or Wireless if you are using a non-standard card), and run 'Software Update' from the 'Apple' menu to get the latest software updates.

Congratulations, you have OSX on your Wind! :)

Hey there

tried this method of install on an advent 4211 however when it reboots after sucessful install it requires the dvd to be it the drive otherwise it comes up with a boot error.

What is more even when it does boot up with the dvd it stops @ the do not transfer files stage and keeps looping back to the beginning of the setup wizard.

Advice would be appreciated greatly.

Guest pglandscapes

Hi Paul,

great tutorial, great help...many thanks.

A few questions that I can't seem to find covered on the thread.

After installing the 10.5.2 and going through set up everythings cool. However, after installing both parts of 10.5.3 as per the video and tutorial, at the dawin bootloader, I press F8 as directed and type update-v. I then press enter and the update-v that I have just typed disapears leaving me with the same options, press "enter" to continue or type "-v". So I press enter to continue and I am left with the grey apple screen with the whirlly symbol constantly going round.

I say constantly but after a few minutes I thought something must be wrong as nothing was happening. Am I just meant to leave this for as long as it takes?, this part of the video tutorial isn't shown as you cut away straight to the kext install etc

Do i need to leave this for a long time? is it another on of Apples "about a minute" guess-timates? or have I missed something?

any help would be great!

Additionally, I too was having an issue with the screen resolution being only 800 x 600 with a black bar down the right hand side of the screen. Reinstalling the kexts etc does fix it, but for some reason it comes back.(note this is whilst I was still using 10.5.2). again, is there something i'm missing??

any help would be appreciated

Many thanks

:)

Guest pglandscapes

Hi Paul,

great tutorial, great help...many thanks.

A few questions that I can't seem to find covered on the thread.

After installing the 10.5.2 and going through set up everythings cool. However, after installing both parts of 10.5.3 as per the video and tutorial, at the dawin bootloader, I press F8 as directed and type update-v. I then press enter and the update-v that I have just typed disapears leaving me with the same options, press "enter" to continue or type "-v". So I press enter to continue and I am left with the grey apple screen with the whirlly symbol constantly going round.

I say constantly but after a few minutes I thought something must be wrong as nothing was happening. Am I just meant to leave this for as long as it takes?, this part of the video tutorial isn't shown as you cut away straight to the kext install etc

Do i need to leave this for a long time? is it another on of Apples "about a minute" guess-timates? or have I missed something?

any help would be great!

Additionally, I too was having an issue with the screen resolution being only 800 x 600 with a black bar down the right hand side of the screen. Reinstalling the kexts etc does fix it, but for some reason it comes back.(note this is whilst I was still using 10.5.2). again, is there something i'm missing??

any help would be appreciated

Many thanks

:)

Hey all!

Thank you for the amazing topic, I have gathered a ton of useful information. I got myself this MSI wind off Ebay. It already comes with a 6 cell battery, 2 gigs of ram, plus a 32GB SSD and a normal 80GB drive.

I am planning to slap Macosx on this little bugger, and I just have the following questions left:

1) Do I need an additional wifi card? Or can I use the realtek drivers which are on the torrents?

2) Headphone fix is applied via the link at wired. Any news for the mike? I would love to be able to use the msi for skype without a dongle. I already have a monstrous desktop PC, I want to keep this one simple.

3) I have an external DVD drive, but that thing is realy flimsy. I reckon it's been dropped or something. Considering that I have an SSD + normal hdd, is there a way to skip the "use external dvd rom" part?

4) I want to dual (hell, maybe triple) boot into xp, macosx and windows 7. Any linky for doing that?

5) I plan on using Msiwindosx.iso to install macosx. Does it work well, or should I hunt the files in the OP? bandwidth is not a problem, but the speed is :D

Thanks in advance for the replies :)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest kingfinn

Hi,

i installed Kalyway and updated like ur descriptions.

Only Problem I have is that i gotta start with the DVD.

Thinkin' it didn't install the MBR?

Installed Chameleon then.

My Partition with KAlyway called "LEOPARD" is flagged as BOOT (that'S same like aktive isn'T it?)

But now if I boot it says:

boot0: MBR

boot0: DONE

that's it ... :(

What could be wrong?

Yours,

-kingfinn

Edited by kingfinn

Guest the_grinch

One thing I noted on the install guide (and it got me first time around) was that no mention was made of the options required when initially formatting the disk. Essentially you must partition the disk using the GUID partition table rather than the default OS 9 table, this can be selected by clicking the options button in Disk Utility when creating the partition. OS X I believe will not boot on an Intel based machine without the GUID partition type.

Aside from that excellent guide as I now have my Advent running 10.5.6 will all the devices running, including being able to use headphones using the switcher script.

One question I had is that currently I'm still runnning the stock realtek wireless card, does anyone know if I install an airport compatible broadcom based card whether I will still be able to enable and disable wireless when OSX is running as I can with the current realtek drivers?

Guest kingfinn
One thing I noted on the install guide (and it got me first time around) was that no mention was made of the options required when initially formatting the disk. Essentially you must partition the disk using the GUID partition table rather than the default OS 9 table, this can be selected by clicking the options button in Disk Utility when creating the partition. OS X I believe will not boot on an Intel based machine without the GUID partition type.

THANX a lot, Guy! I dont know if this was for me but booting works for me now. Had to install int once again and make Guid Partition Table.

THX :(

So for everyone have the Problem like me:

Install once again, use Disc Utility and partitionate ur Disc with "GUID PARTITION TABLE".

Yours,

kingfinn

Edited by kingfinn

Guest kingfinn

Sorry for double-posting, but there's one thing i gotta tell:

In the Video, you (Paul) switch off the Network driver. For me this doesn't work. The Welcome Setup "reboots" when it's comming to the network installation.

Installing for the 3. Time now :( But i Have nothin' to do B)

THANX 4 the Guide, Bro!

Edit:

I have a last Question:

I have installed 10.5.4 Sucessfully now.

Can anyone tell me how to install 10.5.5/6 now?

I saw some tutorials but none for u100 wind and all very complicated.

Would be great if someone could tell me :P

Yours,

kingfinn

Edited by kingfinn

Guest bigjohnscots

Firstly thanks to Paul for the osx guide.

I should be getting my advent 4211 tomorrow and was wondering about doing the osx install before i get the alternative wifi card.Am i right in thinking that the install will be fine (except wireless) until i get the dell wifi card then after i install the dell card will leopard find the new hardware and setup the driver itself.

Glad to see the headphone problem also solved as i have a train journey to Paris soon and this little machine will be an excellent companion.

Guest joelw135
double post.

You don't have to replace the WiFi card if it is Ralink which it will say on the bottom of the unit. There are drivers for it. Yes to use the Native Apple drivers you must change the card. I have an MSI U100-432US which is running fine using the original card, but I just ordered a Dell 1510 so I could use the native drivers. You just have to make sure the bluetooth and the wifi are turned on prior to install of the operating system.

Guest bigjohnscots

Firstly thanks to Paul for the osx guide.

I should be getting my advent 4211 tomorrow and was wondering about doing the osx install before i get the alternative wifi card.Am i right in thinking that the install will be fine (except wireless) until i get the dell wifi card then after i install the dell card will leopard find the new hardware and setup the driver itself.

Glad to see the headphone problem also solved as i have a train journey to Paris soon and this little machine will be an excellent companion.

Guest the_grinch

I have a last Question:

I have installed 10.5.4 Sucessfully now.

Can anyone tell me how to install 10.5.5/6 now?

I saw some tutorials but none for u100 wind and all very complicated.

Would be great if someone could tell me :(

Yours,

kingfinn

Kingfinn try the instructions posted here to update to 10.5.6, it worked fine for me (though you will need to re-register the kexts for GFX resolution to get back to 1024x600)

http://forums.msiwind.net/mac/noob-how-upd...rent-t6543.html

Guest Sibbens

Hi all,

This is my first post at the forum and as this fact implies; I am a bit of a novice regarding hackintosh'es etc. This said, I am not too new on computers so hopefully I will be able to follow the guide and create the netbook of my dreams :(

I am the happy owner of a MSI Wind U100 and the unhappy owner of Windows XP... The guide made by Paul is very thorough and the many posts on this thread (and many hours of reading) has encouraged me to try to install OS X on my Wind. As I am new to this non-conventional use of PC's (if that expression covers it) I have a few questions that I hope you guys can answer before I throw myself into the deep water. I know that many of the subjects has been touched earlier in the thread, but I haven't found a spot on answer to the following questions.

In the guide Paul says that one should burn "Kalyway 10.5.2" onto a CD and then the "Kalyway 10.5.3 upgrader" for later use after installing OS X from the "Kalyway 10.5.2"-CD. I have on the internet seen both Kalyway 10.5.4 and 10.5.5. My question is, whether I should use these newer editions of Kalyway or if I should stick to the ones mentioned in the guide? (as you might realise, I have only little idea about the actual differences between the editions...)

My second question regards the replacement of the original WiFi card in the MSI Wind.

I know little regarding replacing hardware in a laptop why I would love be more certain regarding which WiFi card to buy. From Paul's guide the card could be a "Dell 1490 Broadcom based card". Other places in the threat I have seen mentioned that a 1390 card works as well - and that this version even might be a work-around the problem with the "stand-off" that messes with the 1490 WiFi card.

My questions is which card I should buy and if I can buy cards from other manufaturers than Dell? I am not sure what the "1390" and "1490" means nor what the "broadcom based" means?

I hope the above is understandable and that you will take a few minutes to answer my questions although they are somewhat rookie-like... I know!

I love computers and I would love to be able to create an OS X running netbook.

Kind Regards,

Sib