Paul's complete guide to installing OSX Leopard on your MSI Wind / Advent 4211

Guest PaulOBrien

Hey every one,

i went shopping today tried to get a dell wifi card and ended up bying a USB wifi dongle from hama. It cost me 20 Euros and installation was farly easy even for me as first time user. The stick works great

Guest Paul (MVP)
Hi Paul,

Can you clarify for me how the vga works on this? If I understand you right, one can plug an external monitor into the osx advent and use it with just the external monitor at full resolution (is there a limit to how big a monitor it can drive?); mirrored mode not working means, I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that you can't have the same thing displayed on the wind's monitor as the external monitor, but does that mean one can have both on at the same time thereby extending the display? Can one use it for powerpoint presentations where one screen shows the notes (on the laptop) and the other the slides? That would be very useful.

Lastly, would you say that currently this looks like the most compatible netbook for putting os x on?

Many thanks for sharing your knowledge with us all.

Regards,

Ian

Correct, and yes, I think this is still the best choice.

As you say, you can display whatever you want individually on the two different screens.

P

Hello,

Firstly thank you to Paul for this excellent guide. I managed to install right up to 10.5.5 last night. However I am having a few problems, I have read through all the pages several times and can't see a reason / fix ?

I have only managed to get the ethernet cable workign once, all the time now it says the cable is unplugged. (I've not installed WIFI yet).

Also it doesnt appear to always save my general preferences (hidden icons in menu bar, keyboard, screensaver timeout etc...).

I did try re-installing all the kexts again last night but I ended up hanging on the apple logo and had to start from scratch again !

Has anyone seen this ? know of a reason ?

Thanks in advance.

Mark.

Hello,

it's the german newbie again.

I have a problem reaching the @ key. Normaly on my german layout I

reach it by hitting strg +alt and Q.

But now no @ appears someone know how to make it work ?

thanks in advance!!

Hello,

it's the german newbie again.

I have a problem reaching the @ key. Normaly on my german layout I

reach it by hitting strg +alt and Q.

But now no @ appears someone know how to make it work ?

thanks in advance!!

well I got it stupid me.

just the window key and L does the trick. Did find the virtuel keybord now.

thanks anyway.

Guest rhober1970

Hi Paul, good job.

But I have a dude... I have get the Dell 1490 you used, but I cannot find the drivers for use it perfectly in Xp, so I have decided not to change the wifi card by now until I can get these drivers... Have you them?, where can I get them?...

and... Where is conected the black wire... left or right?... because the first time that I installed it, the advent doesn't boot and I had to replace it for the original.

Thanks

Hello everyone,

As of yesterday, I am a proud Advent 4211 owner. Enjoying it so far, very much, except for one issue...

I've run through the instructions for Mac OS X installation (thanks Paul!) very carefully and find that once I install the 10.5.5 update (per the instructions to remove the troublesome kext), my resolution gets reset to 800x600.

If I then try to re-load the graphic kext, my machine just hangs on boot. Have re-built it three times now already!

If I try the previously suggested 'resolution changing application', it does not add in the 1024x600 resolution.

Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks in advance for your time and assistance,

pSimon

Guest Colonel Panic
I've run through the instructions for Mac OS X installation (thanks Paul!) very carefully and find that once I install the 10.5.5 update (per the instructions to remove the troublesome kext), my resolution gets reset to 800x600.

I now have exactly the same issue, but I don't think that it's related to the 10.5.5 update. Personally I think that it's connected to something that happens as a result of a second restart after running kexthelper. (I also have the losing ethernet after sleep issue as well.)

Paul's instructions were followed to the letter up to step 47 (Fixing keyboard map); in my case, I had to do a restart after adding the Advent keyboard map in order to get the control panel to recognise this new keyboard map, and the resolution problem occurred on the next restart. (I'm still running 10.5.4.)

Apart from these two issues I'm very pleased with the results so far, and Leopard on the Advent is subjectively quicker to use than 10.4 (Tiger) on a 1.8GHz iMac G5, even with only 1GB RAM.

Guest Colonel Panic
When the reset reset, I just reinstalled the graphics KEXTs using KEXThelper and everything was fine.

Update...I've not done anything like that so far, but have since installed SwitchResX followed by a restart, and the problem seems to have vanished for the time being (fingers crossed) even though I haven't actually tried using SwitchResX yet. This is probably just a coincidence, but at least I can try something like that if it happens again.

Enjoying my new MacBook Nanovent ;)

When the reset reset, I just reinstalled the graphics KEXTs using KEXThelper and everything was fine.

Hello again and thanks for the replies so far,

When you say you reinstalled the graphics KEXTs, I guess that implies more than one - which do you need to re-install?

Also, I find that Time Machine does not work for me - it seems to hang. Same thing with iWork - they seem to load, however it looks like something screen-y is stopping them displaying properly.

I updated to the 1.08 BIOS, but no better.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks again,

pSimon

Guest tssalgado

the HCL 10.5.2 in wiki is not updated...i can't even see the dell 1490 mini PCI wifi in the list...does anyone know other compatible mini PCI wireless network cards?

tia!

1. Dell 1490 mini PCI express

Guest Colonel Panic

I'm still having intermittent problems with the graphics resolution reverting to 800x600 after booting, and running kexthelper again (basically repeating installation step 45 again with most of the files) fixed a Quartz Extreme problem but didn't solve the resolution issue.

One valuable tip for users of OSX when dealing with relatively low resolution displays which I haven't seen mentioned here yet (and doesn't seem to be that well known) is that left-clicking on the maximise button of a window (it's the green rightmost button out of three that displays a + sign when highlighted) whilst holding down the command key ('Alt' on an unmodded Advent 4211/MSI Wind keyboard) may cause the window to be resized so that it neatly fits the usable area of the display. This can solve problems encountered when using applications with windows that are larger than the display area such as GarageBand or Toast Titanium.

Plus if anyone wants an external 5.25" drive enclosure (with USB connection) for an IDE DVD/CD or hard drive, then Advent 4211 owners in particular should take a look at the case made by Octigen. It may have a fairly noisy fan and is mains powered with a transformer brick (at least you can switch the drive off when you're not using it), but cosmetically it is a perfect match for the Advent with its silver aluminium case, black plastic end panels and a power light which has the same shade of blue as the Advent's power light.

hey there,

i finally was uble to update my msi wind 100 to Mac os 10.5.5 All works fine.

But i noticed one think.

I was going to try the spaces funktion and was not able that any of the programs really shows up in one of the space windows.

I managed to add the program (with the plus) and assigned a program to lets say space one. But when i hit F8 to

show the space nothing is in there.

Can anybody confirm, that spaces is working on a wind 100 under 10.5.5

thanks.

Guest elalitte
the HCL 10.5.2 in wiki is not updated...i can't even see the dell 1490 mini PCI wifi in the list...does anyone know other compatible mini PCI wireless network cards?

1. Dell 1490 mini PCI express

2. Dell 1390

3. Dell 1510 802.11n

Guest rhober1970
Hi Paul, good job.

But I have a dude... I have get the Dell 1490 you used, but I cannot find the drivers for use it perfectly in Xp, so I have decided not to change the wifi card by now until I can get these drivers... Have you them?, where can I get them?...

and... Where is conected the black wire... left or right?... because the first time that I installed it, the advent doesn't boot and I had to replace it for the original.

Thanks

PLeaaasssssseeeeeee... anybody knows????

rhober1970,

Your card could be fried...I had the same problem. Did you cut/trim the standoff?

I have Windows drivers for that card. Give me your email address and I'll send to you.

Hello,

Could somebody shed some light on an issue I am having please !?!

Installed Leopard and Ubuntu all fine last week, installed Dell WIFI card and all setup and working.

Last night I was in Ubuntu and the wifi just cut off, decided to load up leopard and it is now back to saying there is no wifi card installed ?

I have tried fn and F11 to turn wifi on/off but no luck ?

Could something have happened to that card ?

Guest elalitte
Could something have happened to that card ?

Yes, just read the previous post. Maybe you didn't pull out the standoff that can cause an electrical problem.

What kind of network card is it ?

Yes, just read the previous post. Maybe you didn't pull out the standoff that can cause an electrical problem.

What kind of network card is it ?

It's the one that Paul mentions in the first post.

God I am going to sound like a right idiot now - what's the standoff ? and how / why do I go about pulling it off ?

Oh I fogot to add that since the wifi stopped working, every now and again I turn it on, but I just get a black screen. The power light is on, and I can hear the hard drive spinning etc...

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mark.

EDIT : just re-read through the thread and now know what the standoff it. I'll open up the advent tonight to see if that helps...

Edited by xbrillx

Good Day! This is an incredible guide, I just upgraded my MSI wind and i am now running at OSX ;) i do have one problem though... my ethernet cable is not working... :D i followed the complete steps you mentioned, but it just wont detect my ethernet cable.. help??

*EDIT: got it to work when I restarted my Macbook WIND (hehe!) with the ethernet cable attached! Coolness :wacko: doing more research as to where I could get a wifi card :(

Edited by k20aes