Paul's complete guide to installing OSX Leopard on your MSI Wind / Advent 4211

Guest PaulOBrien

I have been following this thread from the beginning (awesome job Paul), and I do not yet own a MSI Wind. The fact that the headphone out does not work is a deal braker for me, since I want to be able to watch movies on this computer, without having to use the internal speakers, which are probably not very good. The mic in is less important to me, although I would like to be able to use iChat and/or Skype.

Yesterday I ran across a web page, where the writer claimed to have found a solution for the headphone out. Here it is: http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/10/gadget-lab-hack.html

Since I do not have a MSI Wind yet, I cannot try this out, to see if it works. I am posting this in the hope that someone here (Paul maybe) would be willing to try this on his Wind, and report back here if it works.

BTW, that page is part of a so-called "Gadget Lab Hackintosh Contest" at wired.com (http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/11/macbook-nano-ne.html), dealing with several aspects of this great hack.

I do have a feeling that all of this energy given to these OS X hacks, will prompt Apple to sooner or later release their own netbook.

BTW, in another forum somewhere I found this post:

"Call it what you want; the MacBook Nano, MacBook Mini, Mini Mac - it doesn't exist! But MSI Wind U100 owners worldwide are going to great lengths to imagine that it does. Custom OS X installs coupled with clever case mods have created the imaginary MacBook Nano. Who knows when (or if) we'll ever see a netbook released by Apple, but with netbook news reaching a deafening roar its not like they can ignore this growing market segment for too long and stay competitive. At the end of the day it just goes to show the strength of Apple's brand - when was the last time you saw a MacBook modified to look like an MSI laptop?"

I couldn't agree more. B)

Guest elalitte
I have been following this thread from the beginning (awesome job Paul), and I do not yet own a MSI Wind. The fact that the headphone out does not work is a deal braker for me, since I want to be able to watch movies on this computer, without having to use the internal speakers, which are probably not very good. The mic in is less important to me, although I would like to be able to use iChat and/or Skype.

Headphone is tested and working for a while. Not the mic for now but the headphone works great.

Anyway, you can also use a USB connector to get headphone+mic work for skype or any other chat.

Guest still.sdh
I have been following this thread from the beginning

You have? B) Did you miss this was mentioned before, also confirmed by some poeple and Paul can't test that at the moment. I've already asked him. To quote him he's 'windless' right now B)

Headphone is tested and working for a while. Not the mic for now but the headphone works great.

Anyway, you can also use a USB connector to get headphone+mic work for skype or any other chat.

Did you use the method as described in the link I provided, or did you use another method?

Would you please let me know how you enabled the headphone out to make it work. Which method did you use?

You have? B) Did you miss this was mentioned before, also confirmed by some poeple and Paul can't test that at the moment. I've already asked him. To quote him he's 'windless' right now B)

Well truthfully, I stopped reading after 20 pages of posts. And I did miss the fact, that people have gotten the headphone out to work. I would like to know how they did it. Where can I find that info?

I did see that Paul is Windless right now. His statement is also on page 33, where my post showed up. However, I did assume, that sooner or later he'll get another Wind.

Or maybe he wants to try the Asus S101. I saw one in a local store yesterday, next to a Wind, and boy is this one hot looking machine. So much better and sleeker looking than the Wind. And still $1,000.00 cheaper thatn the MBA. The deal breaker for me though is that is only has a 16GB SSD. I want at least 160 GB SATA. I was told that the ASUS SSD is a propretary format, so you can't even swasp it out with a regular 2'5" notebook hard drive.

Guest elalitte
Well truthfully, I stopped reading after 20 pages of posts. And I did miss the fact, that people have gotten the headphone out to work. I would like to know how they did it. Where can I find that info?

Read post #613 and tell us if there is any trouble.

Could someone who owns a 6 cell please post a photo of the computer with a side view so I can see how far the 6 cell battery sticks out. Paul, I know you no longer have your 6 cell, but do you happen to have such a photo, that you could post?

I have seen the 3 cell model in local stores, but I couldn't find a 6 cell. I assume that the 6 cell battery is quite a bit larger and would stick out more, which would make the computer a lot thicker. I assume that the 6 cell battery is not flush with the bottom surface of the computer like the 3 cell battery is.

Read post #613 and tell us if there is any trouble.

I read the post, and don't understand much of it. The level of technical skill required seems a bit over my head. Quite a bit.

"Chmod it in 775. (if you don't know what it means, perhaps you shouldn't try all those things)" Sounds like he's talking to me.

BTW, I do not own an MSI Wind yet. I am still trying to figure out which netbook is the most appropriate for me.

I was just in the local BestBuy store, and a client had come in with his Wind to complain about his WiFi card. He said he would lose his connections all the time.

To make a long story short, he showed me a web page (I did not write down the URL), that showed that the newer models have different WiFi cards in them.

Does anyone know what I am talking about, and if these newer WiFi cards are compatible with OS X

Guest Paul (MVP)
Could someone who owns a 6 cell please post a photo of the computer with a side view so I can see how far the 6 cell battery sticks out. Paul, I know you no longer have your 6 cell, but do you happen to have such a photo, that you could post?

I have seen the 3 cell model in local stores, but I couldn't find a 6 cell. I assume that the 6 cell battery is quite a bit larger and would stick out more, which would make the computer a lot thicker. I assume that the 6 cell battery is not flush with the bottom surface of the computer like the 3 cell battery is.

It's not flush, but it's no unpleasantly large.

P

Guest ConnnnnnorL

While I'm here, Let's talk Mice B)

Just suggestions for mice that newbies may find interesting..

THIS is a really great mouse for your 4211/Wind/AnyOtherNetbook B)

It's bluetooth, so No USB stick or wires with the Wind/4211.

It's not too big, not too small, has invisble light on the bottom (no red light)

and it runs on 2 AA batteries.

It's also BEAUTIFUL B) Nicest mouse I've ever owned. It kicks Mighty Mouse's ass, and would go great wiht any Mac (Or Wind on Leopard B))

BTW, it was £10 brand new when i bought it a few weeks ago.. I have no idea why, but it has gone up to about £30.. Maybe if you keep your eye on it it will go back down :/

If you want a wired mouse, this is a great choice. It's cheap, you can get it in a variety of colours (black/grey, white/grey, white/green, pink/pink), and I love the thick scroll wheel design. I use it with my desktop. The cable is adjustable, it tucks away neatly, so you can use it from 10cm-150cm aprox.

Hope somebody finds this helpful B)

Guest Mac Hosehead

To all:

I upgraded my OSX/XP Wind 1.05 bios to 1.09. This bios has a built-in overclocking feature. There is also an alternate bios that will swap the function and control keys. All is well on the OSX side but I notice I don't get the ECO led when on batteries. I used the method on this site:

http://www.electricvagabond.com/2008/10/ms...rclock-and.html

To Zews1:

There are workarounds to the issues you are concerned about. A USB Mac-compatible headset will give you headphones and mic and will switch the audio automatically when connected. Typically, there are no drivers required. I have not heard that any of the stock WiFi cards are OSX compatible but a USB dongle is an easy solution. I bought a draft-n Planex GW-USMini2N dongle for $27 and there are cheaper ones available.

Thanks for the photo. That illustrates it well. BTW, how much computing time does the 3 cell battery provide?

Re: the headphone out. I read somewhere that simply hitting Control-H, will toggle the sound from the speakers to the headphone jack. That sound too easy. However it is easy enough to check for some of you. If it is true, that this works, that would be great.

Again I did not write down the URL where I read this. I have been reading so many forums dealing with OS X on the Wind the last few days, they are beginning to blend in my head. I am now quickly oveloading on information, and it's getting a bit confusing, since so many methods seem to contradicting each other. And they all seem to work. My head may explode soon.

Guest ConnnnnnorL

The 3-cell battery provides me about 1h30mins when I'm doing basic stuff >.< I couldn't stand it.

Another question, will monitors work after Leopard is installed with the advent 4211?

if so, will ANY monitor work? There's a 20" widescreen tft in pcworld.. i was wondering if i plugged it into the laptop with a vga cable would it work correctly?

Guest danjones
10.5.4, make sure you are NOT using the Combo update!

P

Hi Paul,

I have the exact same problem and driving myself crazy trying to find a solution - it's been over a week of failed researching before I've finally cracked and made this post...

I have definitely not used the combo update. In fact simply after installing 10.5.2 I already can't see any startup disks ??? Please help!

Thanks

Dan

Black MSI Wind 2gb, single boot (OS X only)

Now this is an interesting looking new entry. And so much better looking than the Wind.

Take a look here: http://tinyurl.com/6ntt3y

The usual specs, i.e. 1.6 GHz Intel Atom CPU with 1GB of RAM and a 160GB hard drive. Especially that 160 GB hard drive looks interesting to me. So much more interesting than the Asus S101 with it's 16 GB SSD, even though that one was also a pretty nice looking machine.

I wonder if Paul's instructions and steps would work with this machine, or if things need to be done differently. Nothing known yet about the WiFi card in this latest one by Asus.

It's not that I NEED a netbook, but at these prices, and as the designs (read external looks) of these machines is quickly improving, I now WANT a netbook.

Guest samg2008

I have an Advent 4211 running osx 10.5.2 for sale. It has the new wifi card which works perfectly and 1.5 gb of ram, and is only 2 months old. I have receipts to prove it, and all documentation and the box. If anyone is interested in buying please feel free to email me at

sam at bassmentradio.co.uk

Looking for £250, located in the Uk, local pickup can be arranged.

Thanks guys.

Sam