Paul's complete guide to installing OSX Leopard on your MSI Wind / Advent 4211

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest ArchiMark

Great thread, Paul!

Really tempting to get a Wind to put OSX on....

One question I have is whether or not it would be feasible to run Parallels Desktop (or VMWare) on the Wind so that you run Windows and Mac OSX at the same time???

I do this on my MacBook now....which is a great option to have...but would love to have OSX on a smaller device....

:D

Guest dtizzle

Great thread. The wind/advent is a great looking machine.

two questions: 1. Audio drivers... has there been any advances on that front? As a stop gap solution, has anyone tried something like c-media electronics' USB Audio key with a mac?

2. I currently use an aging iBook g4 and I am not impressed with the current lineup of the Apple laptops. Transferring my data efficiently to a new system is critical to me... Has anyone read of a report/completed a Migration Assistant transfer of settings/data from mac to a hackintosh?

Thanks, and again, great work.

Guest s1mm0nz

Was going great until I came to the stage to install the Kexts.

They installed fine and now it hangs when booting. Stops at the apple logog screen with the circle thingy.

Boots into safe mode fine.

HELP!

Edited by s1mm0nz

Guest Ian Williams
Was going great until I came to the stage to install the Kexts.

They installed fine and now it hangs when booting. Stops at the apple logog screen with the circle thingy.

Boots into safe mode fine.

HELP!

That's exactly where I am as well, .....reboot after installing the kexts & Apple 10.5.4 & it locks up when you reboot.

So I'm thinking it could be the 10.5.4 update rather than the kexts.

EDIT/UPDATE - It will start in safemode. So I booted & repaired permissions. ...I got lots of stuff about permissions errors on kext files

I hoped that would sort it, but I'm sat here again, staring at a grey screen with an apple logo on! :D

Edited by Ian Williams

Guest Windybum

After installing 1gb hynix ddr2 and a Dell 1490 mini pci express card and following Paul's guide my Advent 4211 has been running Kalyway sweeeetly for a couple of days!

Pretty much the only issue that I have remaining is that the headphone socket and mic don't appear to work because of driver problems. Hopefully this will be resolved soon.

A few notes that I've not seen elsewhere...

• When you shut the lid it goes into standby and when you open it again MacOs is up within the second.
  • iLife is not included in the Kalyway distro, but I installed from DVD and all is fine.
  • Performance is reasonable, sometimes there is a bit of lag but it's totally useable.
  • The underclocking fn + F10 thing appears still to work fine in MacOS, I think it's an OS independent hardware tweak.
  • I've not tried VMWare, but XP Pro works absolutely fine under parallels and seems to perform reasonably well.
  • my USB DAC/soundcards work flawlessly, CMedia CM106 and Philips PCM2706 chipsets. Thus resolving the sound output problems.
  • Webcam works totally fine in photobooth and other apps I tried, once you install macam driver.
  • I found that the easiest way to do the install was to go for a complete wipe, as described by Paul. I had several unsuccessful attempts at trying to get dual/triple boot going because of the OS X installer refusing to install to the partition I had created for it.

As a Mac Virgin, I'd have to say that I won't be reinstalling WinXP or Ubuntu again anytime soon on my Advent. After the initial headache of installation you end up with something much prettier and more stable, but a little odd to get around in if you aren't used to it. To all intents and purposes you end up with a Mac that has a non-functional headphone socket....

Does anyone know where you can get an Apple vinyl sticker to cover up the crappy Advent logo on the lid?

Edited by Windybum

Guest Dave Smith

This is very impressive Paul. I think you have a few of us thinking of selling our eeepcs. One question though.

Will boot camp work? I don’t think I could work with OSX alone.

Thanks Dave.

Guest foofi

Hello Paul,

very good and nice Work!!! You have a lot of Fans here in Germany!

I have a Question:

Is it possible to install MacOSX, like you, on a "Acer Aspire One" ?

It has the Intel 945GSE Express Chipset.

I have found a 120 GB Version with Limpus Linux for 300,- EUR.

http://www.tomshardware.com/de/Acer-Aspire...ews-241071.html

http://www.golem.de/0807/60947.html

this are german Links,

http://www.acer.com/aspireone/

Edited by foofi

Guest bigp2

Great work Paul.

I have an Advent on its way now, but can anyone tell me if it's possible to use the xbox usb hd dvd drive as a bootable dvd drive to install Leopard? That would save me having to buy an enclosure for an old drive.

Phil

Guest slaguru
I have a problem : at first reboot, when the assistant aks "do you already own a mac" i take "do not transfer" and after 1 min the assistant go back to the first screen "welcome" for choosing the region ...

I have followed the tutorial and the video ...

(I have an MSI Wind 100)

Had he same issue.

On boot, press F8 and change the screen res to 640x480. This will skip the setup and allow you to carry on. I did this and put a password on my Admin account and it didn't go to setup again.

Guest Paul (MVP)
This is very impressive Paul. I think you have a few of us thinking of selling our eeepcs. One question though.

Will boot camp work? I don’t think I could work with OSX alone.

Thanks Dave.

You CAN dual boot.

P

Guest Paul (MVP)
Hello Paul,

very good and nice Work!!! You have a lot of Fans here in Germany!

I have a Question:

Is it possible to install MacOSX, like you, on a "Acer Aspire One" ?

It has the Intel 945GSE Express Chipset.

I have found a 120 GB Version with Limpus Linux for 300,- EUR.

http://www.tomshardware.com/de/Acer-Aspire...ews-241071.html

http://www.golem.de/0807/60947.html

this are german Links,

http://www.acer.com/aspireone/

If I can get my hands on one, i'll try :D

P

Guest s1mm0nz

Is clicking via the touch pad possible ?, bceause its not working for me :D

Because using the buttons is really annoying.

Cheers!

Edited by s1mm0nz

Guest Ian Williams

Right, .....I'm nearly there!

I've re'run everything, apart from the 10.5.4 update. As last time my machine froze at the grey apple screen after applying this update. So I'm at 10.5.3 with everything looking like a proper working Mac.

I've just cloned my disc to an external USB drive, with the intention of now adding 10.5.4 with the safety net of the cloned drive if it goes wrong again.

Can somebody please confirm the 10.5.4 update is working properly? .....am I doing something really obviously wrong?

I've just noticed, in the "startup disk" system pref's pane, I'm not being shown any start up discs. All I've got is "Network start up" (No Macintosh HD or my USB clone). Is this normal on these systems? & if so, how do I boot from my cloned disc? (apart from physically putting it back in the computer).

Edited by Ian Williams

Guest Ian Williams
10.5.4, make sure you are NOT using the Combo update!

P

it's the one off your original link on page 1, but i'll double check

Guest Ian Williams

I've just reinstalled the 10.5.4 updater, & this time it's worked!!! :D :D

PAUL - do you have a "virtual beer" paypal account set up? I think I owe you a pint or two!

Edited by Ian Williams

Guest elbenski

First - a great thank you for all the hard work put into this. I came across it on El Reg.

I have decided to pull the trigger on one of these - especially as Skype is going to work with a USB headset, however.... PC WORLD appear to be out of stock in London! :-X

Guest defianty

Received my Advent 4211 today, just waiting for my new wireless card and RAM to arrive and I'll be installing OS X. Being able to intall OS X on the Advent was the main buying point for me as I've been an Apple user since 1989. I miss my 12" Powerbook, should never have sold it. Lost my patience with Apple waiting for them to bring out a Sub notebook.

My initial impressions of the Advent 4211 are great, even with XP LOL, just need a 6 cell battery now and I'll have the perfect machine. Oh, and maybe an Apple sticker to cover up that Advent logo on the lid :-)

Thanks for your efforts with this Paul, it's greatly appreciated! An OSX sub notebook for £300 (incl. ram etc.) Bargin!

Hi

Thank for the tutorial

I already had a system up and running with an external drive using leo4all

Now got a 250GB internal drive and duel booting Advents XP OS and Mac OS

Used your method

Still need to get a wifi card but other than that all ok

Thanks

ern