HTC Diamond Battery Life

Guest Bigbaker

Guest Neil5459
So WCDMA is the biggest battery drain. What about the VGA screen and backlight?

Well- you can't do anything about teh screen itself :D VGA screen do use a lot more power than QVGA, but this version is supposed to have the latest in power saving facilities.

Keeping the abcklight turned down will make some difference, but I'm not convinced it is a major factor. I use my Diamond with the auto brightness turned on, but I've played around with levels on all my previous devices, and suspect there may be a 10-15% saving from full bright, down to 2 bars. This is entirely a subjective view though. For definitive figures, maybe try acb powermeter?

Guest Confucious
..but don't quote me. The essence is correct, but I've been wrong before :D

I work on the theory that if I say what I think someone will soon shoot me down if I'm wrong!

I'm sure you are wrong on some detail but certainly nothing I know of.

Looks OK to me. :D

Guest Neil5459
I work on the theory that if I say what I think someone will soon shoot me down if I'm wrong!

I'm sure you are wrong on some detail but certainly nothing I know of.

Looks OK to me. :angry:

:D :D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Gavink151
:D :D

How long do you guys leave your phone charging for? I usually only charge until the light comes on to say its "full" then I disconnect it. I understood it is not possible to overcharge modern phone batteries - is this correct?

Guest FATGOONER
Anyone getting good battery life?

I am happy with the battery by making sure unused apps are closed and switching the screen off I can easilt get 2 days or so. I must admit when I first got the phone I was playing with it so much it only lasted a day but has been much better now! Great phone

Guest darthbane2k
I am happy with the battery by making sure unused apps are closed and switching the screen off I can easilt get 2 days or so. I must admit when I first got the phone I was playing with it so much it only lasted a day but has been much better now! Great phone

You clearly dont push email

Guest Eriktheviking

ive had my phone two days and have had to charge it twice from it dying on me while out. I generally get 9 hours from it..... at this rate it is going back to orange.

Guest estechco
ive had my phone two days and have had to charge it twice from it dying on me while out. I generally get 9 hours from it..... at this rate it is going back to orange.

Stick in there! As others have said, the battery definitely does improve and your usage will likely diminish

Guest estechco

Stick in there! As others have said, the battery definitely does improve and your usage will likely diminish

Guest estechco

Guest Neil5459
There is a new ROM at the HTC site, is this for the compact IV? My serial does not work to download the Rom.

http://www.htc.com/www/FAQ_Detail.aspx?act...133&cat=268

HTC ROMs only work for products bought SIM free from HTC or a retailer; thyey don't apply to any of the operator supplied devices, as the operators apply their own modifications to the ROMs.

Battery life: Mine has now settled to about 36hours with moderate use, and Push Email on from 6am to 10pm. WiFi and SatNav seriously dent that, as may be expected. 3G is now left on- since Radio 1.07 it seems to make little difference between GSM only and 'Auto', but that may be because Orange are staeadily improving their 3G/HSDPA coverage in my region.

Guest Bigbaker

Im still getting poor battery life, activesynce always seams to appear in the running programmes despite stopping it all the time, not sure if that is eating into battery. i can only get about 10 hours out of a full charge.

Guest Neil5459
Im still getting poor battery life, activesynce always seams to appear in the running programmes despite stopping it all the time, not sure if that is eating into battery. i can only get about 10 hours out of a full charge.

Activesync is designed to be 'always on' due to the connection model used in WM5 onwards. There have been major discussions about how to stop it, but whatever you do, it will try and restart ;)

It is a very small process though, and has marginal effect on battery life.

Guest LessThanSte

Having used my diamond now for about 3 weeks, it seems to have settled at around 3 days of battery life, though i usually charge it every other night.

I run wifi ALL the time (except when it sleeping, obviously) as its handy at home to check the latest scores or facebook or whatever (also handy when delivering at work to use someone elses internet (there is always 1 unencrypted network in every estate it seems)). The screen is on auto, though if anything its turned down a little. I make a resonable amount of calls (maybe 5 minutes a day) and send a decent amount of msgs.

So its not really that bad. I probably could get more but its better than the old phone i had that needed charging every night!

Having used my diamond now for about 3 weeks, it seems to have settled at around 3 days of battery life, though i usually charge it every other night.

I run wifi ALL the time (except when it sleeping, obviously) as its handy at home to check the latest scores or facebook or whatever (also handy when delivering at work to use someone elses internet (there is always 1 unencrypted network in every estate it seems)). The screen is on auto, though if anything its turned down a little. I make a resonable amount of calls (maybe 5 minutes a day) and send a decent amount of msgs.

So its not really that bad. I probably could get more but its better than the old phone i had that needed charging every night!

May I ask what was your old phone? I have mine (MDA Compact IV) for 2 weeks and never got close to 2 days battery life with moderate usage. Leaving bluetooth on drained it very quickly. Have since returned it. Apart from battery life an excellent phone, perfect size.

Guest LessThanSte
May I ask what was your old phone? I have mine (MDA Compact IV) for 2 weeks and never got close to 2 days battery life with moderate usage. Leaving bluetooth on drained it very quickly. Have since returned it. Apart from battery life an excellent phone, perfect size.

Truth be told i havnt even turned bluetooth on yet, must try that. I got it on about 20th August or so. Il turn it on and let you know!

Guest LessThanSte
Truth be told i havnt even turned bluetooth on yet, must try that. I got it on about 20th August or so. Il turn it on and let you know!

Oh, and the old phone was my sisters old LG Chocolate (only used it since my Jam went south a few months back!) and boy is it a pain in the arse!!

Guest LessThanSte
five mins calls a day is not average usage. That is very low usage.

Its an average ;)

Some days its considerably more.

Anyway, ive been watching videos on youtube most of the evening, done a fair bit of browsing, sent a few messages and recieved 2 calls. Since vii voo's post i turned bluetooth on aswell. When i turned it on i was on 40% battery, it hasnt yet dropped below 30% in 2 hours of, i guess, resonably heavy usage (internet n stuff!)

Anyone any comment on how the battery life is on the Compact IV? The bread knife makes 3-4 hours of calls a day and will check her email (and then forget to close the data connection). If it won't last from 7am until 10pm with that usage pattern, without me having to tweak the heck out of it or give her advanced instructions which she simply will not do (she gets a glazed look as soon as reach "You have to.........."). She loves her techno but it must simply work.

Anyone any comment on how the battery life is on the Compact IV? The bread knife makes 3-4 hours of calls a day and will check her email (and then forget to close the data connection). If it won't last from 7am until 10pm with that usage pattern, without me having to tweak the heck out of it or give her advanced instructions which she simply will not do (she gets a glazed look as soon as reach "You have to.........."). She loves her techno but it must simply work.

I returned my due to poor battery life, no other reason. Had to charge it every night with moderate usage. Have since spoke n to T-Mobile and they claim to have fixed heat problem which was affecting battery life. Tempted to get one again, but waiting to see how much Vario IV is on upgrade. But also heard battery life not so good on that either.

I returned my due to poor battery life, no other reason. Had to charge it every night with moderate usage. Have since spoke n to T-Mobile and they claim to have fixed heat problem which was affecting battery life. Tempted to get one again, but waiting to see how much Vario IV is on upgrade. But also heard battery life not so good on that either.

Thanks vi-voo. I was hoping the Vario IV would be the answer with its bigger battery, but from what you are saying perhaps not.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest julius3000

I have a 300 min pro month plan, combined with 90 sms (I consume only 40-60 smses) and an unlimited data plan. I get 300 min of phone call, so in totall I'm calling 600 minutes pro month. Thats 20 min a day.

Further on, I use the GPS function a lot, with TomTom and or GPS tracking programs. Sometimes combined with music played on my headset. I play games and do use the internet frequently.

The mail client is setup to check my imap mail account every 30 minutes. It then checks 3-4 folders.

When it is in standby, it will only last for 1-1,5 days. The first day I had to charge it like 3 times! Now I'm used to it to charge it whenever possible. I also have an extra 900 mAh and an extra 1800 mAh accu's (both non HTC). When I can't charge it, I have to change accu's. I always have a spare one with me.

The accu lasts only 3,5 hours using GPS (TomTom 6/7 or tracking) and/or listening to music (128 kbit wma files played via de TF3D skin or the Windows Media Player.)

The phone is running on the original 1.93 NLD HTC rom now for one month. Before that it runned on the original 1.37 NLD and 1.35 NLD ROM's.

Is this batterylife normal or should I concern?