HTC Diamond on Orange

Guest beckett1

Guest typhus

Got my text half hour ago. I just phoned up and was told that they've not got any. I was also told that I wasn't on the notification list and the guy couldn't explain how I got a text if I wasn't on the list. So back to the waiting game for me... :D

Guest blackhorse
I haven't seen anyone report actually getting an Orange Software ROM yet, just rumors that will happen when Orange get round to building one. Fingers crossed mine doesn't have any Orange nastiness. Will let you know when it comes tomorrow!

im told were sticking with generic for now as for software issues

Guest spacerace

I just sent mine back to orange today. just couldn't get on with it. poor battery and the on screen keyboard were the main issues for me. keyboard might be fine for some people, but I've learnt I need a hardware keyboard!

Guest Skilty

Called at 11.30 - after i received the text - and was told that I couldn't have the offer I'd originally been quoted!!! after several re-calls I eventaully got it for £20 a month for the first 9 months then £25 a month after for the Racoon 35 (600 mins, unlimited texts/data) and it's arriving tomorrow!.... yay!

no let's see if it's got any orange bloatware on it!!

Guest Neil5459
I've found the battery lasts even longer if you turn off the phone as well......

I keep my battery on my bedside table, and it lasts ages :D

This is not just an Orange issue- there have been posts here from Voda Device users as well. Maybe I've been lucky, but my Orange veriosn has been pretty good. With very heavy use it needs recharging mid afternoon, but 1hr on the Maplin charger gets it back to 100%

Guest T39andcounting

Mine arrived at 1100 and no sign of Orange Bloatware! First impressions are OK, but not having physical keyboard (coming from the SPV M3100) will be a bit of a challenge to get used to!

mine arrived around 2pm, am at work so not gonna get a real chance to use it till this evening. One thing i have noticed though is the soft-qwerty-keyboard, where each key is split between 2 letters....is there any way this can be changed to an ABC keyboard. qwerty is great, but only for physical keyboards

Guest Skunkchild

You can change the keyboard through settings>input or clicking the arrow next to the keypad icon when it appears at the bottom of the screen.

I'm using the full qwerty on mine.

Guest blackhorse
Do you work for Orange?

Blackhorse does (or so i believe), if you do then they really should be more consistant with what they tell staff, if you don't I'd be inclined to believe him.

Diamonds back in stock in retail today, we only got 3, so be quick! :D

Generic Software has been reloaded back onto them

Edit. Sorry 5! lol missed a box

Edited by blackhorse

Guest Kushmir

A side note for people upgrading to the Diamond (or any Orange phone). I had a previous contract with Orange, and had the Orange insurance. I got my new phone from Carphone Warehouse, which is seen by Orange as an upgrade not a new contract. I was told a couple of days ago that my Orange insurance would not be valid for a generic HTC phone, but would be for one that had been Orange rebranded. This contradicted earlier conversations with Orange, and the man did agree to sending out a new phone, when I told him it was Orange branded. However, something to look out for.

In any event I would not recommend going through Carphone Warehouse, and will not be using them again!

Edited by Kushmir

Guest T39andcounting
In any event I would not recommend going through Carphone Warehouse, and will not be using them again!

Another reason not to go with Carphonewarehouse is that they can't get anywhere near the offers that they'll give you over the phone or in an orange store (and they'll admit that if you ask them). My advice is always to ring up orange, but use the 'i am thinking of leaving...' option rather than upgrades. Get them to do you the best deal they can, (which is usually free phone + less than you're currently paying), then go to a vodafone store. Get them to beat it, and ring Orange again. They'll usually give you another months free line rental or so!

Guest beckett1

I was on the phone to orange at 8:30 this morning and my Diamond will be here tomorrow and I got a great deal

£30 a month (i got £5 off)

600 mins

Unlimited txt

Unlimited data

only downside is a 18 month contract.

I will post tomorroww with my first impressions and if it has orange software on.

Guest fenns
I was on the phone to orange at 8:30 this morning and my Diamond will be here tomorrow and I got a great deal

£30 a month (i got £5 off)

600 mins

Unlimited txt

Unlimited data

only downside is a 18 month contract.

I will post tomorroww with my first impressions and if it has orange software on.

Did you have a cheerful Geordie too beckett1?

I have been with Orange since the dawn of time (c. '94) and this is the first time I really felt enough was enough - poor phone selection, bad tarriffs, poor service etc. - and I was ready to jump ship for T-mobile. 'Cheerful Geordie' pursuaded me to stay and I now have 2 Diamonds on their way to the office tomorrow (see my separate post regarding my 'dilema' in this repect).

I hope the 'horror' stories about TF are not as bad as they seem and, if they are, that installing a new ROM doesn't require me to be an uber geek or I am toast :D

Guest Confucious

You will have no probs flashing - head over to xda - they are a friendly bunch there. If you want to be sure tho, give me your 'spare' diamond and I'll try it first and talk you through it.

:D

Guest beckett1
Did you have a cheerful Geordie too beckett1?

I have been with Orange since the dawn of time (c. '94) and this is the first time I really felt enough was enough - poor phone selection, bad tarriffs, poor service etc. - and I was ready to jump ship for T-mobile. 'Cheerful Geordie' pursuaded me to stay and I now have 2 Diamonds on their way to the office tomorrow (see my separate post regarding my 'dilema' in this repect).

Nope i didn't but it was a very nice lady :D

I have been with orange for a long time and i have considered moving many times but I have just stuck with them.

Edited by beckett1

Guest fenns
You will have no probs flashing - head over to xda - they are a friendly bunch there. If you want to be sure tho, give me your 'spare' diamond and I'll try it first and talk you through it.

:D

Oh dear :D

I've just made an 'offer' to Mr. Sutton on my own thread regarding the spare - subject to my 'Domestic Carer' shrinking back in horror at the idea of touch screen rather than the anologue buttons her horny old fingers are used to scrabbling at :angry:

Guest fenns
Nope i didn't but it was a very nice lady :D

I have been with orange for a long time and i have considered moving many times but I have just suck with them.

Yikes !...and there's me thinking I was getting a good deal - that's well over and above the call of duty :angry:

[upon reflection, since I had a Geordie bloke perhaps I was better off not getting that little 'extra' service from Orange on this occasion :D ]

Edited by fenns

Guest beckett1
Yikes !...and there's me thinking I was getting a good deal - that's well over and above the call of duty :angry:

[upon reflection, since I had a Geordie bloke perhaps I was better off not getting that little 'extra' service from Orange on this occasion :D ]

opps :D

Guest elementalist

I got an orange one today (just rang for an upgrade from my C600). The instructions mention all kinds of Orange menus and customisations, but the phone didn't have them - just seemed to have 'normal' TouchFLO.

The problem is, because it's an Orange phone, the HTC website giving the official ROM updates won't let you register. Also, Orange do not have any facility to update.

Great, huh? No choice but to invalidate the warranty if you want to update your phone... Thanks guys.

Well, I just used the TL3 (wassit?) update and it worked fine. Not sure of any massive speed improvement and did get some freezing, but I did before too :D Here's hoping for a more stable version soon, or maybe I'll just get rid of TouchFLO and use basic Windows Mobile 6?... *sigh*