Voda's laughable pay as you talk data tarriff

Guest awarner

Guest awarner (MVP)

Ok so I bought a 3 sim hoping to get 3G coverage where I live and work only to find I'm roaming on O2 instead.

So I thought I would look up voda's data rate and was shocked to see they describe their data deal.

If you are a Pay as you talk customer you get a generous 15MB a day for just £1

They then go on to say

If you go over your 15MB limit, you’ll be charged £2 for every extra MB you use

15MB for £1??? when 3 do 1GB for £5 a month. Now to see what the others do for pay as you go data.....

Well Tmobile have a fair usage of 40MB a day. Orange on the other hand seem to hide their data details, after hunting round their confusing site I could not find any relevent details for data.

Guest Confucious

T have a cap of £1 per day for data with, as you say, a 40Mb FUP

O used to be £1/day if you phone or text and get it 'activated' which takes up to an hour. I read somewhere it's now £1.50 a day - but not sure about that.

Not sure about O2

I think that they assume if you want regular data you will get a contract and PAYG users only use occasionally so they offer daily rates.

Three's prices are cheap - but there's usually a reason. There 3G coverage is not that good and as we found with the data sticks £7.50/month for 5Gb is ONLY 3G and doesn't drop back to 2G, although this does not apply to phones of course.

If you want cheap data you're still limited to contracts or occasional use, things are getting better, it wasn't long ago that 'cheap' and 'mobile data' were mutually exclusive!

O used to be £1/day if you phone or text and get it 'activated' which takes up to an hour. I read somewhere it's now £1.50 a day - but not sure about that.

According to the website the "Maximum" charge for mobile web browsing is £2 per day...

After eventually speaking to an english cs I was told that via orange world there are 2 bundles.

£1 per day or £5 for 7 days.

These both have a 25mb per day limit but after that you will only be charged a maximum of £2 per day.

Guest Confucious

Not how I read their T&C (see my link above.

The £2/day cap is also subject to a limit of 25Mb, the only difference (so I believe) is that you don't have to ask for it in advance, if you ask for the daily limit it's £1, if not it's £2 - but then you get charged above 25Mb

But then Orange make it so complicated I could very well be wrong....

Well there are no details on the website of charging in any way.

That is just how the operator explained it to me. I have no experience of payg which is why I phoned them.

Guest shadamehr
OK, the post I thought I'd made isn't here!

Here's the link http://www1.orange.co.uk/entertainment/OrangeWorld/terms.php

T-Mo are also now considering a "seven day pass" for around a fiver - likely working name for now is "Walk and Web" (how obvious!).

This is in conjunction with consumer feedback for similar add-ons for Unlimited 7 days text passes, off peak calling to mobiles, unlimited landline calls etc - a 7 day add-on pass for each type is being talked about.

BBBBUUUUTTTT...

Ash, this might suit you - T-Mobiles EXISTING 5 day Web n Walk pass:

* Get 5 days unlimited web browsing on your phone for just 50p a day

* Costs just £2.50

* To buy call 879 or text WEB to 441

More details

* Make sure you have at least £2.50 credit before you buy

* Half price unlimited internet surfing on your phone (usually costs £1 a day)

* We'll text you to confirm your web'n'walk 5 day pass has started

* We'll text you on the fifth day to let you know your pass is about to finish

* However much you surf your credit won't be eaten away

# Costs just £2.50

# To buy call 879 or text WEB to 441

You need to be an EXISTING T-Mo PAYG Customer to sign up though. But I reckon this could be a good consideration for you mate...?

NOTE: I highlighted the line in bold, as it seems notable - not sure what it means in terms of a FUP though, as it sounds pretty explicit that there is NO limit...! Curious...

Guest Confucious
NOTE: I highlighted the line in bold, as it seems notable - not sure what it means in terms of a FUP though, as it sounds pretty explicit that there is NO limit...! Curious...

With W'n'W they allow you to go over the FUP one month, it's only if you do it 2 months on the trot they don't like it. I would imagine that somewhere they reserve the right to not sell you this add on so if you take the p!ss they can just refuse to add it next time but T's FUPs do seem to allow a fair amount anyway so I would imagine you'd have to really go some to break any limit.

Another good find Shad - I'd not heard of that one!

Edited by Confucious