HSDPA on Orange

Guest Bigbaker

Guest blackhorse

Well Orange and Voda signed a network share agreement months back which hopefully will go live in 2009, this should help both parties

Guest Confucious
Well Orange and Voda signed a network share agreement months back which hopefully will go live in 2009, this should help both parties

I was under the impression that the Orange / Voda deal had gone tits up?

Is it still going ahead?

Guest huwwatkins

Hi

Does this mean we will eventually be able to either pick up a O signal from a voda mast and vice-versa or will we roam on to each others networks? Does this apply to 2G only sites aswell?

Guest jimbouk
Does anyone know a tweak on the registry to show the H all the time?

I remember doing a tweak to me spv c600 to enable the E.

Why ???????

Guest jimbouk

Cos with a permanent "h" icon you don't actually know where you do and dont actually get H...

I know the other networks offer H wherever there's 3g but with O, its handy to be aware of the places where H works.

Guest Confucious

I think what he wants is the H signal to show when HSDPA is available not just when it's in use but 3G to show when 3G is available but HSDPA is not.

If you see what I mean...

Guest xanadu

The only share agreement is for masts and sites, and not network share, so nothing much will change.

The original concept to share the radio network fell through ages ago.

Guest blackhorse
The only share agreement is for masts and sites, and not network share, so nothing much will change.

The original concept to share the radio network fell through ages ago.

I know we will be using the voda sites and masts on a differant frequency to them, and them using ours.

But surely although its not the same actual network your logged onto, but the coverage would be allot better than it is now?

Im not very techie on this kind of thing! lol

Guest xanadu
I know we will be using the voda sites and masts on a differant frequency to them, and them using ours.

But surely although its not the same actual network your logged onto, but the coverage would be allot better than it is now?

Im not very techie on this kind of thing! lol

The coverage won't change that much except where the Vodafone masts are in a better location than Orange, and vice versa.

The idea of mast share is to reduce the number of masts to save costs.

Where either network has the best mast/location within a defined area, that operators site will be used for both networks.

Guest huwwatkins

I've just been from Aberystwyth to birmingham and all the places that had orange 3g (except aberystwyth) had HSDPA, so that obviously includes Birmingham and also Telford, shrewsbury and most interesingly Newtown in mid-wales. So it would appear that they are rolling along at quite a pace.

Guest blackhorse
I wish they'd head up North, I get only 3G in Newcastle and coast. :D

Newcastle is on the upgrade schedule for next couple of months, midlesborough, and redcar are currently under way

Guest huwwatkins
I thought Birmingham was up north....

:D

Its in the 'mid' lands :D

Blackhorse, are you able to find out when certain areas are due to go live?

Guest blackhorse
Its in the 'mid' lands :D

Blackhorse, are you able to find out when certain areas are due to go live?

Yes i know but cant share im afraid, its company confidential info :D

Guest Kevlarski

Orange are upgrading Gateshead and Newcastle areas today (they have an automated message on their "support" line on 150). I hope that means HSDPA here :D

Guest huwwatkins
Orange are upgrading Gateshead and Newcastle areas today (they have an automated message on their "support" line on 150). I hope that means HSDPA here :D

Kevlarski - Could you please report back later on and let us know if it is indeed an H upgrade going on?

Im off for a trip up north next week, I shall report back all the hsdpa enabled places I find if anyone is interested.

Orange - please hurry up and upgrade my local town :D

Edited by huwwatkins

Guest Kevlarski

Looks like it was something else they were doing as the H has not appeared. I have tried coastal areas and Newcastle city centre. My phone has just been shipped back for replacement so I won't be able to check again until I get it returned next week (hopefully).

Kevlarski - Could you please report back later on and let us know if it is indeed an H upgrade going on?

Im off for a trip up north next week, I shall report back all the hsdpa enabled places I find if anyone is interested.

Orange - please hurry up and upgrade my local town :D

• 1 month later...
Guest huwwatkins
HSDPA is working on Orange for me now. I have tested it in Newcastle upon Tyne and Leeds city and surrounding areas. ;)

Didn't take them too long then!

I have to say they do seem to be rolling it out fairly quick, quite a few places i've been to have hsdpa now where they didn't before. Just waiting for my local town now!