• Announcements

• Reminder - MoDaCo position on illegal content   07/30/15

ILLEGAL CONTENT I'd like to just reaffirm MoDaCo's position regarding piracy and illegal content in the light of some recent questions / postings. Posts will be censored by myself or my moderation team if the contain or link to: Illegal / pirated / cracked software or sites that host such softwareNintendo emulators / ROMs or sites hosting them (in light of Nintendo's legal stance)CUSTOM ROMS You may discuss and post links to custom device ROMs on MoDaCo, provided the following rules are adhered to: ROMs must not contain any illegal 3rd party software (this includes trial versions included without permission)ROMs must give full credit to the original authorISSUES If you have any issues with this policy, please contact PaulOBrien directly via PM.
    • Reminder: Selling items on the forum directly is not allowed   07/30/15

Please note that selling items on the forum directly is not allowed by the forum rules. There is a forum for eBay auctions whereby you can list the items on eBay and link to them there. This is the ONLY forum for this type of activity. You may also advertise links to the eBay forum in your signature. Please note that selling directly in contravention of these rules will result in a warning / suspension / ban.

3 fiver a month PAYG data suddenly working in 2G area?

28 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

How weird, I tried my 3 PAYG SIM today in the Shift (with the fiver a month internet bundle activated), and it's magically started working for data even tho i'm in a 2G area!

:D

P

Posted · Report post

Odd... 3's coverage checker says 2G for yours and my area. Unless they haven't updated the site yet...

Full bars? Or just one/two?

Posted · Report post

It's still getting only 2G coverage, so it MUST be roaming in O2 or Orange... I can't really tell as network indicator just says '3' with the roaming indicator.

Very odd!

P

Posted · Report post

I think the fact their data service did not work over 2G was what did for me when I was trying to get a PAYG SIM working on a friends laptop with an old vodafone 3G card. Worked perfectly with my TMob SIM, but when I put the three SIM in it didn't show it connected to any signal. I had assumed that we must be in at least a 2G signal (centre of London), so figured either the software or SIM were b0rked. If its now working I might try again.

Posted · Report post

Yeah, it'd be useful if someone could confirm they are seeing the same.

Maybe 3 have just initiated a 2G data roaming agreement with their partners... would make sense as they were getting hammered by dissatisfied customers IMHO?

P

Posted · Report post

You can use a payg sim to roam onto 2g. All the payg sims seem to use orange.

When I got my broadband adaptor (had to send back as it didn't work!) it worked fine with my 3 payg sim, only using Orange though...

Posted · Report post

Never USED to work! Honest!

:D

P

Posted · Report post

Just for you Paul, i'll add some credit to my payg sim and give it a try with the internet bundle....

Would be a good way of getting cheap orange unlimited data, even if it's only at 2g :D

Posted · Report post

As Paul says, it does work. I'm using the £5 bundle now via Orange and it isn't taking any credit away...

Posted · Report post

FINALLY! :D

P

Posted · Report post

I connected last week before buying the £5 month credit, showed up as costing 71p out of bundle charge.

Posted · Report post

Yay! Looks like 3 is finally working on 2G using the Orange network. Has anyone got Opera Mini working? Works fine on O2 but looks like it's port blocked on Orange. Anyone able to confirm?

Posted · Report post

I got it working on 2g. Try changing the network setting to http rather than socket on the opera mini settings page.

Posted · Report post

Nice one. Thank you. Works a treat now and I now have the perfect setup for my SPV M3100! The 3 network rocks! Just wish I could set up Skype to use the front ear piece rather than the rear speaker!

Posted · Report post

Just to add my 2P worth..................

When not on 3 my phone always had data using O2 (3 contract). I have never been able to get data on Orange until I read this thread and retried it. Guess what? It works with data on Orange now also. Hooray! Well done 3 :D

Posted · Report post

Nice one. Thank you. Works a treat now and I now have the perfect setup for my SPV M3100! The 3 network rocks! Just wish I could set up Skype to use the front ear piece rather than the rear speaker!

I belive that is a limitation of the Windows mobile platform rather than Skype

Posted · Report post

where can u get a £5 a month data three sim from?

Posted · Report post

It is a bundle you can add to any three payg sim card....

Posted · Report post

And the data use is unlimited?

Posted (edited) · Report post

Only offers me a £10 bundle? Do I need to access it via mythree or topup through a phone?

edit - found it through my three under 'internet' rather than 'mobile broadband'. So what's the difference?

M.S

Edited by Mysterious Stranger

Posted · Report post

Only offers me a £10 bundle? Do I need to access it via mythree or topup through a phone?

edit - found it through my three under 'internet' rather than 'mobile broadband'. So what's the difference?

M.S

I believe internet is for use on a phone only, whereas mobile broadband can be used for tethering to a laptop.

Posted · Report post

I believe internet is for use on a phone only, whereas mobile broadband can be used for tethering to a laptop.

The £5 bundle does work as internet access via a pc/laptop. I had it connected via orange using my Diamond and it was working fine (although slightly slow!)

Posted · Report post

Not sure really, but the fiver one does everything I need! :D

P

Posted · Report post

What speeds are you getting with the £5 one?

Mark, can you try in a 3G area ad let us know what download speeds you are getting as Paul lives way out in the sticks (Norwich) and so can't get 3G?

Posted · Report post

Mark lives even further out in the sticks :D

P