HSDPA with the Diamond on T-mobile WnW?

Guest md2

Guest Confucious
WHY ARE THERE SO MANY IDIOTS ON THIS SITE THAT DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT BUT INSIST ON POSTING MISINFORMATION

There is only one.

Unfortunately it's you.

PS Please don't shout and swear or throw your toys out of your pram.

Edited by Confucious

Guest kopfjagerstu
There is only one.

Unfortunately it's you.

PS Please don't shout and swear or throw your toys out of your pram.

It's you that is posting information on here that is incorrect, unless you know what your talking about you should keep it to yourself, you certainly don't know anything about T-mobile and their services

Guest Confucious
It's you that is posting information on here that is incorrect, unless you know what your talking about you should keep it to yourself, you certainly don't know anything about T-mobile and their services

OK...

If you say so. You obviously know what you are talking about. I'll go back to using two tin cans and a piece of string and bow down to your vastly superior knowledge.

Idiot.

Edited by Confucious

Guest estechco
192 is exactly half of normal 3G

Are you on W'n'W std? It will be interesting to see what you gey in London but I wouldn't necessarily assume that T-Mob actually know that there is more than one place on there system that it needs to show as being enabled for it to actually work....

I've just returned from a w/e away down south and whilst I didn't quite get inside the M25 to do any testing, I did cover quite a bit of the rest of the SE. Sadly, the fastest connection I managed to get (downloading the 1Mb file from dslreports) was 392Kbs when I was about 100 yards from Oracle's office in Reading. Most of my other tests got little better than the 192Kbs that I get up here in the frozen NE.

I'd be very interested to hear other peoples experiences around the country. Specifically if you use T-Mobile, but I'm not adverse to hearing other people's experiences. Just state (roughly) where you tested and what speed was returned from the above link

Note if you are with T-Mo please state if you have the std or plus WnW?

If we get enough feeback perhaps I could setup one of those Google map mashup thingumy's!

Guest Confucious

In Woking I've just tried on T-Mob - 1st atempt 438kbs then tried again and got 1359kbs which is about what I normally get (it's worth doing a few times as it seems to vary on congestion)

With My 3 SIM in the same location I vary between about 250kbs to 1000kbs

I'm on W'n'W Plus

Guest estechco
In Woking I've just tried on T-Mob - 1st atempt 438kbs then tried again and got 1359kbs which is about what I normally get (it's worth doing a few times as it seems to vary on congestion)

With My 3 SIM in the same location I vary between about 250kbs to 1000kbs

I'm on W'n'W Plus

I'm sensing I may not have whatever is required to get true HSDPA speeds (and sadly that may be the pro upgrade)

You mentioned back in post #16 that there were a few places that need to be enabled for this to work fully. Do you have any jargon i can throw at T-Mo's support people to make me sound as if I know what i'm talking when attempting to wangle the better speeds?

I have had my WnW std since before the 2007 date that was quoted elsewhere, but don't know whether the right enabling features would have been 'on' prior to me getting my Compact IV (last month)

Many thanks for you continued help!

Guest Confucious

The problem is that when STD was first introduced it was not supposed to have HSDPA, a few people managed to get it by getting put through to technical who, in some cases, doidn't realise they were not supposed to add it so did. Then there was a period where everyone seemed to get it then they stopped completely in October.

The official line, I believe, is that you should not have it on Std.

If I was you I'd probably ring and ask why you're not getting HSDPA speeds and see wha they say - if you don't succeed at first some people had success by calling back and getting a different CS op. and try to get put through to tech. But I believe now they have all been briefed you might have more difficulty.

personally I thought it wasn't worth the hastle and stumped up the extra.

Good luck.

Guest estechco
The problem is that when STD was first introduced it was not supposed to have HSDPA, a few people managed to get it by getting put through to technical who, in some cases, doidn't realise they were not supposed to add it so did. Then there was a period where everyone seemed to get it then they stopped completely in October.

The official line, I believe, is that you should not have it on Std.

If I was you I'd probably ring and ask why you're not getting HSDPA speeds and see wha they say - if you don't succeed at first some people had success by calling back and getting a different CS op. and try to get put through to tech. But I believe now they have all been briefed you might have more difficulty.

personally I thought it wasn't worth the hastle and stumped up the extra.

Good luck.

I can confirm that after a couple of "will I/wont I get it" couple of days that what you say is almost certainly bang on accurate.

[Aside to "kopfjagerstu": You seem to have over simplified things somewhat...Confucious doesn't have his 6-star rating for nothing!]

WnW std is no longer able to achieve HSDPA speeds on any phone (unless you already had it enabled some time in the last few months). There used to be a manual adjustment the tech support guys could apply to your account to do this, but even this is now no longer available to them.

In short, I am restricted to 3G speeds and the only option now is to go to WnW plus

Another data point for you - the fastest i've got so far is 400k according to dslreports mobile test, thats even when it has an H on screen.

Edited by md2

Guest Confucious
Another data point for you - the fastest i've got so far is 400k according to dslreports mobile test, thats even when it has an H on screen.

Is that W'n'W Std?

I don't quite know how I managed to miss all of the arguing on this thread.... Keep it sensible please! And NO SHOUTING!!

On my journey through reading the other day I got around 600k on 3, but only 200k on o2.

That was at the station so probably not the best place to test...

Having an H displayed doesn't necessarily mean getting HSDPA speeds. Unless you're on the old-style W'n'W standard (i.e. pre-17/10/07) then the chances are, your speeds are being throttled or you're not truly connecting on HSDPA.

For months, my phone was displaying an H and T-Mobile told me I had HSDPA even though I was only getting approx 300Kbit/sec in Central London when other people on Modaco were getting 1Mbit/sec. Eventually, it turned out that because I changed tariff when upgrading my phone, I had been placed on the post-17/10/07 version of W'n'W and hence I was getting slower speeds. After a whinge to Customer Relations (who were excellent), they put my back on the old version of the tariff and suddenly my speeds rocketed.

Guest estechco
Having an H displayed doesn't necessarily mean getting HSDPA speeds. Unless you're on the old-style W'n'W standard (i.e. pre-17/10/07) then the chances are, your speeds are being throttled or you're not truly connecting on HSDPA.

For months, my phone was displaying an H and T-Mobile told me I had HSDPA even though I was only getting approx 300Kbit/sec in Central London when other people on Modaco were getting 1Mbit/sec. Eventually, it turned out that because I changed tariff when upgrading my phone, I had been placed on the post-17/10/07 version of W'n'W and hence I was getting slower speeds. After a whinge to Customer Relations (who were excellent), they put my back on the old version of the tariff and suddenly my speeds rocketed.

How recently was that conversation?

Guest humph12345

There will be several element to what data rate you get.

The first is how much capacity the sites have coming in, most as standard, before the present upgrades began, was one link, most T-mobile sites are now going to 4 links, I upgraded 2 sites today. There is no way of knowing what the capacity is of the site you are connected to. You will get HSDPA on a site fed by a single link, so this site has only a very small increase in capacity gained form using HSDPA, so you will see 3G ish rates.

The next is how much voice traffic the site takes, voice will alway take precidence, so if a site has high voice calls, this will have an impact on data rates. I upgraded a site on Vodafones network and the site was so busy voice wise, that it was impossible to connect via HSDPA to test the site.

The next thing is not all customers are equal, in Vodafone only coporate customers get access to full data rates. We had to be given the same access to enable us to test the network and the difference was very noticable. Not sure how T-mobile work this, but if the do the same and you have a coporate customer nearby, then that will drag your data rates down.

The networks are quoting 7.2M, but none of them have enough capacity going into there sites to get anywhere near that.

They will only get to that level or higher when the go to fibre straight into the base station, only Vodafone have comitted to this and they also intend to roll out second carrier to all their sites inside the M25, so doubling the size of the network.

The best option really for the networks is to use 3G as purely a data network and push all voice calls onto 2G.

Edited by humph12345

Guest deanparkr
There will be several element to what data rate you get.

The first is how much capacity the sites have coming in, most as standard, before the present upgrades began, was one link, most T-mobile sites are now going to 4 links, I upgraded 2 sites today. There is no way of knowing what the capacity is of the site you are connected to. You will get HSDPA on a site fed by a single link, so this site has only a very small increase in capacity gained form using HSDPA, so you will see 3G ish rates.

The next is how much voice traffic the site takes, voice will alway take precidence, so if a site has high voice calls, this will have an impact on data rates. I upgraded a site on Vodafones network and the site was so busy voice wise, that it was impossible to connect via HSDPA to test the site.

The next thing is not all customers are equal, in Vodafone only coporate customers get access to full data rates. We had to be given the same access to enable us to test the network and the difference was very noticable. Not sure how T-mobile work this, but if the do the same and you have a coporate customer nearby, then that will drag your data rates down.

The networks are quoting 7.2M, but none of them have enough capacity going into there sites to get anywhere near that.

They will only get to that level or higher when the go to fibre straight into the base station, only Vodafone have comitted to this and they also intend to roll out second carrier to all their sites inside the M25, so doubling the size of the network.

The best option really for the networks is to use 3G as purely a data network and push all voice calls onto 2G.

I would agree about pushing voice calls onto 2G. There does not seem to be any benefit of having voice on 3G as it takes alot more battery life from the phone.

3G for data and 2G for calls I say!