Got mine yesterday..

Guest ripnet

Guest Paul (MVP)
WHAT ... you've ordered the Touch Pro too ... crazy ... I'm glad this site pays you to play with such toys, otherwise V would be going up the wall !!!

I really am swaying towards the touch pro. If it had the camera in it that the omnia does, id be totally sold. But going to check more photo's from the pro.

The Diamond was from HTC, the TP is a loaner and I bought the i900.

I do buy a lot, the missus DOES go up the wall :D

P

Guest Paul (MVP)

The Camera in the i900 is what's really making me love it. With a few software tweaks (e.g. haptics on input) I would be 100% sold I reckon.

P

Guest ripnet
Why dont you get one of each instead of despairing on either/or!?

Cheers

Phill

Im afraid the camera is crap. That doesnt bother me tho... it no more crap than any other phone ive owned...

still loving the phone...

g

Guest jchamier
Cant wait for my upgrade! Really looking forward to it!

Whos the mole on here that can give t-mob updates? Do you know any more about this?

Ditto... I'm still with my Vario II, and very tempted (understatement) by the Touch Pro. But can I get on with Touch Flo, or disable it? Or should I wait for WM 7... the million dollar questions.

I'm ready to upgrade, cummon T... where is the new Vario :-(

Do you get a case in the box and if so does it have a belt clip or not. Heard rumors it doesnt have a clip like the tytn 2 case.

I have the Diamiond and miss my keyboard from my Kiaser. Can anyone tell me if this is noticably thicker than the diamond or if this feels better in the pocket than the Kaiser? i believe this is lighter than the Kaiser again can anyone tell?

/e goes of to cry and think about selling his much loved Diamiond.

Guest Syphon Filter

I must say, LOVING this phone.

Definitely the best "Out of box" WinMo experience I've had. I've done zero tweaking and it's a just a straight up great device.

I got mine from Inkino (9 Great Russell Street) for the princely sum of £520. Which is 100% comparable wiht online prices when you factor in delivery etc. I also picked up a G300 cradle which he did for £30.

So far: Best phone I've ever owned. The VGA screen is awesome, the keyboard takes some getting used to coming from a Kaiser but getting there. The on-screen keyboard is also becoming very natural to use. Such a brilliant device.

Guest dudegalea

Still loving my TyTN III.

I have slowly unearthed some niggles though. Strangely, they're all in the same area: locking the device.

I use the Hold-End-Key to lock the screen and keys. However, this doesn't lock the volume buttons, which is unfortunate because those are the ones that are most likely to be activated accidentally! How hard is it for the designers to understand that locking the keys should lock the keys? All of them!

As I've mentioned somewhere else, there's no auto-keylock facility. All I need it to do is keylock automatically when the device is turned on. That would do, because it would mean that if the device wakes up in my pocket (for whatever reason) the keys and screen are locked. At the moment, I have to remember to lock it before I put it in my pocket. If the device is already on, I do tend to remember because I can see it's not locked. But if the device is off, I tend to forget because there's no obvious visual cue that it isn't locked.

(As an aside, I discovered that EndKey.exe in Windows\System is the program that locks the screen. If I could get that one to run automatically when the device is turned on, then all would be well, I think.)

The flush screen is great for usability, as fingers (and more usually, thumbs) can access all areas of the screen easily. However, the lack of bezel means that when the phone is in my pocket, if it wakes up (and isn't locked! Grr...) then it's much easier for the screen to be inadvertently 'touched' in the wrong place. I've already hung up on someone accidentally while retrieving the phone from my pocket because of this. Actually, I'm not sure locking the device would help in this case, because it seems that even when it's locked, it still allows screen touches to activate the 'answer' and 'hang up' buttons. Again, how hard is it for them to understand that when the device is locked, nothing should work until it's unlocked? That's the whole point of it!

Anyway, I'm sure I'll find a solution for these niggles eventually. Still a great phone!

Ah-ha!

S2U2 seems to solve all my problems. I've installed it on my TyTN III, and it appears to work fine. It now has a nice "slide to unlock" bar, like the iPhone. :D

I'll report back if I have any problems with it, but this is a positive step.

http://handheld.softpedia.com/progDownload...load-52386.html

That's not the latest version of S2U2...

Latest is: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=412418

Guest dudegalea

Unfortunately, S2U2 severely drains the battery. And I mean severely. I have made a donation to the author, though, in the hope that he can fix it sometime. This is the neatest solution by far, and it'll be great if it can be made to work properly.

I also tried VJDeviceLock, but unfortunately the HTC Touch Pro wakeup event doesn't seem to work, so things that are set to run on wakeup don't seem to run at all. Shame.

Guest dudegalea
errr how does it kill the battery? i use it on the tytn II, and its a great solution.

I need to run some proper controlled tests to verify, but I found that even when the device is asleep, the power consumption is much higher than it is without S2U2 running.

Having said that, I'm going to try it installed and not installed over the next few days to attempt to eliminate other factors.

I'm not the only person to notice this problem, though. All the comments I've seen about it have come from people who own one of the newer HTC devices, such as the Touch Diamond or the Touch Pro.

Guest dudegalea

Does anyone know of any decent software that can check battery consumption rate?

I know I can just check the battery level over a period of time, but it'd be nice to have something that can measure the rate dynamically.

I cant wait to show it off to my mates in the pub tonight :D

g

The last thing I'd do is start flashing a £500+ phone around in the pub.

Edited by Metoo

They claim to be trade-only and you can't order anything direct from the site so looks like just some broker. There's no contact information at all on the web site which is highly suspect. "Contact us" is just a "request a quote" form, and "About Us" doesn't say anything about who they are (no email address or telephone number, no terms and conditions, no delivery/returns policy, not even the legal minimum of a company ID and trading address). On that basis alone I wouldn't touch them with a barge-pole.

Edited by Metoo

Guest ripnet
The last thing I'd do is start flashing a £500+ phone around in the pub.

yeah, but noone can tell how much its worth... and I was surrounded by friendly people who I knew... i wouldnt get it out in some pubs lol

g

yeah, but noone can tell how much its worth... and I was surrounded by friendly people who I knew... i wouldnt get it out in some pubs lol

g

You don't know who else is watching, and you'd be surprised how clued up (and inconspicuous) some of the thieving low-life are. Even if they mistake it for an iPhone you're still a target.

Edited by Metoo

Guest ripnet
You don't know who else is watching, and you'd be surprised how clued up (and inconspicuous) some of the thieving low-life are. Even if they mistake it for an iPhone you're still a target.

DONT COMPARE MY BEAUTIFUL TOUCH PRO AN IPHONE LOL :D

heh, point taken, I am very careful with it (and my other tech, iPod etc) when out and about... but it felt safe in the pub in question...

g

Guest dudegalea

Ah-ha!

The wakeup events do work on the Touch Pro after all. I added a wakeup event to run EndKey.exe, and it does indeed lock the device when it wakes up; exactly what I wanted.

The reason I didn't see this working before is that the device has to be sleeping for at least a few seconds in order for the wakeup event to be generated when it wakes up. So when I tried this originally, I was just switching it off and on again quite quickly, and it didn't work. If I switch off for a few seconds, and then switch back on, then the event fires, and it locks.

I don't know whether it's a bug in the ROM that stops the event firing when the device has been sleeping for only a short time, but it doesn't affect me in practise.

Anyway, this is a neat solution because it doesn't rely on any extra software being installed, so there's nothing to drain the battery, or interfere with the device in any other way. It's only using facilities that are already installed.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update to say... 3 weeks in, and STILL no hard crashes / freezes that I thought were key features of Windows Mobile LOL

I have however found one thing I dont like about the Touch Pro - the hands free kit that came with it seems to have been designed for elephants and not humans... i cant physically fit the damn things in my ears (and I am an average sized adult male)...

g