Windows Mobile 6.1 Update for Blackjack II - NOW AVAILABLE!!!

Guest nickcornaglia

Guest nickcornaglia

Luckily I just bought a shiny new Red Blackjack II last saturday...what a coincidence!

SGH-I617 – BlackJack II - Update to Windows Mobile 6.1

To download and install Windows Mobile 6.1 for the BlackJack II, click the URL below:

http://www.samsung.com/us/i617/windowsupgrade

If clicking this link does not work properly, please copy and paste the URL into the Address Line in your browser.

NOTICE: You will need to disable any PopUp blocker you may have currently enabled on your system in order to accept the terms of the End User License Agreement (EULA) in order to download this update. Remember to re-enable your PopUp blocker after the process is completed.

ENJOY BLACKJACK II USERS!!! Let us know here if the update fixes any of the original ROM's shortcomings. :D

Guest surfturtle

I just upgraded to Windows Mobile 6.1 and it worked like a charm and from first glance it looks amazing however I am stuck with no Internet access.

I am not using AT&T network and everything works fine (calls in/out) but the GPRS settings are locked to AT&T.

I tried adding a new connection but it won't work since the pre-configured AT&T settings cannot be removed.

Can anyone help me unlock the GPRS settings?

Thanks

Guest nickcornaglia
I just upgraded to Windows Mobile 6.1 and it worked like a charm and from first glance it looks amazing however I am stuck with no Internet access.

I am not using AT&T network and everything works fine (calls in/out) but the GPRS settings are locked to AT&T.

I tried adding a new connection but it won't work since the pre-configured AT&T settings cannot be removed.

Thanks

CRAZY! Wont know til tomorrow tho as I only have a Mac at home and wont have PC access til I'm at work.

Luckily I just bought a shiny new Red Blackjack II last saturday...what a coincidence!

To download and install Windows Mobile 6.1 for the BlackJack II, click the URL below:

If clicking this link does not work properly, please copy and paste the URL into the Address Line in your browser.

NOTICE: You will need to disable any PopUp blocker you may have currently enabled on your system in order to accept the terms of the End User License Agreement (EULA) in order to download this update. Remember to re-enable your PopUp blocker after the process is completed.

ENJOY BLACKJACK II USERS!!! Let us know here if the update fixes any of the original ROM's shortcomings. :D

This is Only for i617 and not for i616, i wonder if i can upgrade my blackjack2 with this version (i'm i doing something wrong?)

Guest awarner (MVP)

If I were you I would wait for an i616 version as you may get problems trying to run a ROM for a different device.

Also, please only click on the report post tab to report posts you think should not be on the site.

Thanks

http://www.mobilejaw.com/articles/2...ile-61-devices/

setting up on my device now, ill let you know it if works!

-ViTRoN-

**EDIT: worked flawlessly!!!!! ***

***EDIT: check this out too http://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...t=422958&page=2

surfturtle came up with this and im posting from a tether right now. Followed his regedit to

"HKLM\Comm\InternetSharing\Settings

In here will be a value named "ForceCellConnection"

Change "ATT ICS" to "" and reboot."

changed isp.cingular to wap.cingular in the proxy section too!

good luck all!

Has anyone used Google Earth and WM6.1 on the BJ2 to with the MoDaCo Smartphone GPS Activator? Perhaps Google Earth works "as is" with the GPS "COM4" device from the upgrade...?

In other words, I'd like to upgrade - but I don't want to loose Google Earth w/ GPS if AT&T have "locked down" (in other words, directing people to the subscription service) the GPS in a different way.

See this thread for background info.

I have upgraded my blackjack II using the windows mobile 6.1, gps acquisition is amazing, I used gpstest and within 5 seconds my blackjack found satelites and is already able to get my position.

Now I dont know if I did anything wrong, but i had to install modaco com4 fix before gpstest, gps utils, and gpsdash would work.

google maps, and garmin worked perfect without the fix. I am impressed with how fast this gps acquisition is.

I have alot of sweet programs on my phone I need to mess with this phone again and see what it can do.

I like the new look its nice. I am going to upload a video to youtube with how fast the phone acquires a gps signal its absolutely amazing fastest ive ever seen.

I am not a new blackjack II owner ive had it since day 1 and I still have my original blackjack. Before the blackjack II at least mine took 5 minutes to get a signal. and usually by the time i was home it would get the signal which was funny and made me look stupid to taxis lol. Now I can pull the phone out and get a signal in seconds and be able to route my path for the taxis that pick me up.

Edited by gumpy

Guest ABritInNY

ENJOY BLACKJACK II USERS!!! Let us know here if the update fixes any of the original ROM's shortcomings. ;)

Omg this update has been one big nightmare for me... I have a red BJII that I bought when it came out, an I was initially so excited about this update (I was kinda pissed that AT&T didn't offer an instore update, but I've always been able to follow instructions so,) I was itching to install it, especially after reading that everyone was able to do it without problem. Everything went fine until step 4 of samsung's tutorial, the actual software update (I had activesync already installed and am using the XP version.) After installing and checking the modem drivers, I followed the steps for the update and got as far as the step 8, downloading software to flash the phone. On my phone's display it started as normal:

Line 1: USB downloader BADA

Line 2: USB initial OK

(then, if I wrote it down correctly)

Line 3: TX_ USB_ready command- 4 (countdown to 1)

Line 4: PC connection :fail

The red power led switched off and on the pc's screen the downloading box's start button, stayed greyed out.

on subsequent attempts at the bottom of the screen it said;

please check your board 'msm_res

[phone] reset pin (forward arrow) low:off

[PDA] USB cable power off

At this point I'm incredibly frustrated and feeling a little stupid for wasting 5 hours on something that should've taken between 15-30 mins (I presume) so, please if anyone knows what I'm doing wrong, or if you have any info on these phone prompts, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Guest RockStar72
Omg this update has been one big nightmare for me... Everything went fine until step 4 of samsung's tutorial, the actual software update (I had activesync already installed and am using the XP version.) After installing and checking the modem drivers, I followed the steps for the update and got as far as the step 8, downloading software to flash the phone. On my phone's display it started as normal:

Line 1: USB downloader BADA

Line 2: USB initial OK

(then, if I wrote it down correctly)

Line 3: TX_ USB_ready command- 4 (countdown to 1)

Line 4: PC connection :fail

The red power led switched off and on the pc's screen the downloading box's start button, stayed greyed out.

on subsequent attempts at the bottom of the screen it said;

please check your board 'msm_res

[phone] reset pin (forward arrow) low:off

[PDA] USB cable power off

At this point I'm incredibly frustrated and feeling a little stupid for wasting 5 hours on something that should've taken between 15-30 mins (I presume) so, please if anyone knows what I'm doing wrong, or if you have any info on these phone prompts, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Me too... AND I am using Ubuntu Hardy with VirtualBox having a XP SP3 guest OS - it took me ages to work out how to get the phone to connect to ActiveSync within the VM let alone get as far as you did ;)

However, if you go here: My BlackJack 2 WM 6.1 Update you'll see there's rather a lot of other ppl having all sorts of issues. Your post was like the ONLY post I could find on the 'net that had detailed exactly the same issue I had... Anyway, follow the link and note the first troubleshooting Q&A point...

Just to confirm, I followed the Samsung instructions to the T, installed the modem drivers and checked all 3 devices were present. I have an unlocked AT&T SGH-i617. And it looks like you got to exactly the same point I did.

If you look at the first step on-screen - when it's trying to connect to the device - it tells you something about putting the phone in Download Mode, if I recall correctly, but your phone is showing the 'MEM_RES bit.

The trick here is to NOT shut down the ROM updater program and restart everything: Take the battery out of your phone to switch it off, then power it back on, putting it into the Download mode (volume up + back key + power on). I think I'd disconnected the cable by this point (it's all a frustrated blur haha), but you can leave it connected also I think - either way, the phone shows a similar screen to the one pre-switch off and then the ROM updater picked up the connection and started doing it's thang....

However... I then got the problem detailed at MyBlackJack2.com by "shalantas Says: September 3rd, 2008 at 9:45 am" re the fast countdown thing... I called Samsung USA support, got put through to 3rd level support, but gave up waiting after 40mins in a queue... Closed my eyes, prayed and rebooted the phone, sweated whilst the Samsung logo stayed on screen for slightly longer than I was comfortable with and hey presto WM 6.1! Well, not quite cos the ROM updater hadn't technically finished...

When the phone reboots to WM 6.1, finish the Samsung update instructions - Step 5 and 6 - format the phone and then check the version numbers.

Mine shows:

PDA: i617UCHH2 (correct version for the post-6.1 update)

Phone: i617UCGK2 (which is the original version number for both lines)

The shiny new sliding panel eye-candy display works fine, as does the restructured menus, but I'm not sure about everything else that's updated or new (I haven't got an iDrive BMW to hand to check that feature...). The suggestion is to try re-doing the update again, perhaps with turning off the phone function using the wireless connection manager, which I will do when I can face another couple of hours of working this stuff out.... Or maybe just wait until Samsung / AT&T re-re-release the update? Samsung support certainly hinted they'd been having a lot of calls about this... :wacko:

If none of this makes sense, PM me and I'll try putting together better, detailed instructions of what I did....

Good luck!

BTW, does anyone know what issues I can expect by keeping the phone in a semi-upgraded state?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Guest TheBattman

I finally got my BJ2 to upgrade to WM6.1. GPS is no longer working with Google Maps or Live Search. the GPS activation cab won't show after I upload to my BJ2. Kind of frustrating.

Guest TheBattman

I beat myself to death following the instructions from the Samsung update page. I followed the instructions EXACTLY, to the letter, step-by-step 100% - 4 times. I even had a friend who is a lot more experienced with Windows usage (VISTA) watch me go through it the 4th time -

What would happen - my work laptop would see my Blackjack II just fine before I would install anything.

But as I progressed through all of the steps, the computer would quit seeing the phone as connected. The computer would make the usual sound that something was connected - but the sync software would not see the phone. Period. Further - even after the step that confirms the appropriate drivers are installed, progressing through to the point of doing the upgrade - the drivers would disappear!

Well... after much frustration, I finally formatted the phone. After doing that - each step worked flawlessly all the way through complete installation. All is well. I'm not sure why I had to do a complete format of the phone first... doesn't make sense to me.

Anyway -

I haven't decided if I like the sliding screen yet... so have changed it to another for now.

I can't get GPS to work. I have loaded the GPS activator hack (CAB file). I can search for it on my device, and it shows up - but I can't do anything with it. It apparently is invisible when I browse through the files. I had GPS working before (had to use a shortcut to gpstest that I found somewhere months ago.).

Also - sometimes when I make a phone call - the call doesn't go through - the screen just says "dialing". The phone stays frozen like that for ever. Nothing gets it to get off that screen other than holding the power button until the phone turns off. This has happened twice since the update to WM6.1. I never had this happen before.

Any suggestions on the use of the GPS Activator hack would be greatly appreciated..

Guest Crimzon

I just got my BJ 2 and installed WM 6.1 and it went flawless...It was so easy...Just maded sure I read the instrcutions and PRESTO...I really like the look and "feel" of the update. :rolleyes:

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Darlene

Hey, buddy, I found a new application for my mobile phone SE. You want to know what it is? It is the GPS software. I found ZorroGPS on the internet and the trial was free. Why not give it a shot? So I downloaded the bundle of UK&Ireland and installed it. That took me just a few minutes. Then I tried it with the help of the user manual. I inputted the address of the park near my home and it started navigation. All the way, it showed me the turning directions and told me about the traffic lights, radar and traffic signs ahead. Soon I got to the park. The software proves to be useful. Now my mobile phone is my favorite electronics.

• 9 months later...
Guest ruoshui
Hey, buddy, I found a new application for my mobile phone SE. You want to know what it is? It is the GPS software. I found ZorroGPS on the internet and the trial was free. Why not give it a shot? So I downloaded the bundle of UK&Ireland and installed it. That took me just a few minutes. Then I tried it with the help of the user manual. I inputted the address of the park near my home and it started navigation. All the way, it showed me the turning directions and told me about the traffic lights, radar and traffic signs ahead. Soon I got to the park. The software proves to be useful. Now my mobile phone is my favorite electronics.

Gartner: Worldwide Mobile Phone Sales Grew 17% in Q1

Worldwide mobile phone sales to end users totalled 314.7 million units in the first quarter of 2010, a 17 per cent increase from the same period in 2009, according to Gartner, Inc. Smarpthone sales to end users reached 54.3 million units, an increase of 48.7 per cent from the first quarter of 2009. Among the most successful vendors were those that controlled an integrated set of operating system (OS), hardware and services.

"In the first quarter of 2010, smartphone sales to end users saw their strongest year-on-year increase since 2006," said Carolina Milanesi, research vice president at Gartner. "This quarter saw RIM, a pure smartphone player, make its debut in the top five mobile devices manufacturers, and saw Apple increase its market share by 1.2 percentage points. Android's momentum continued into the first quarter of 2010, particularly in North America, where sales of Android-based phones increased 707 per cent year-on-year.

Growth in the mobile devices market was driven by double-digit growth of smartphone sales in mature markets, helped by wider product availability as well as mass market price tags. "Increasing sales of white-box products in some emerging regions, in particular India, also drove sales of mobile phones upward. We expect sales of white-box products to remain very healthy for the remainder of 2010, especially outside of China," said Ms Milanesi.

The first quarter also saw some movement outside the top five mobile handset vendor rankings (see Table 1), Hong Kong-based manufacturer G-Five made its debut into the top 10, grabbing 1.4 per cent of market share in the first quarter of 2010. The rise of white-box manufacturers from Asia has also helped the "others" section, as a proportion of overall sales, increase its market share to 19.20 per cent in the first quarter of 2010, up 2.7 percentage points. "This is having a profound effect on the top five mobile handset manufacturers' combined share that dropped from 73.3 in the first quarter of 2009 to 70.7 per cent in the first quarter of 2010," said Ms Milanesi.

In the first quarter of 2010, Nokia's mobile phone sales to end users reached 110.1 million units, a 1.2 per cent decline in market share year-on-year. Although Nokia's midtier products sold well, Nokia lacks a high-volume driver in the high-end. "MeeGo based devices and other high-end products will not rejuvenate Nokia's premium portfolio until the end of the third quarter of 2010 at the earliest, and Nokia will continue to feel pressure on its average selling price (ASP) from vendors such as HTC, RIM and Samsung," said Ms Milanesi. The reorganisation announced last week demonstrated that Nokia is trying to streamline the reporting process to deliver results quickly, which we believe shows its recognition of the pressure it faces from investors.

Samsung sold 64.9 million devices in the first quarter of 2010, an increase of 26.3 per cent year-on-year. Samsung was one of the five vendors in the top10 vendors ranking to grow its market share, which increased by 1.5 percentage points year-on-year. Samsung saw healthy margins in the first quarter of 2010 and was also able to grow its presence in developing markets such as India and the Commonwealth of Independent States.

http://www.pcbpartner.com/News/article/201...000002636.shtml

• 1 year later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.