Samsung i900 Omnia now available on T-Mobile UK

Guest deadphill

What ... T-Mo branded and only 8GB ... disappointed I am!

It was to be expected given that Orange has the 16 GB version exclusive till 25th September. The T-Mobile branding on the device is minimal with just the T-Mobile name at the top of the device and the web and walk icon on the front screen (that you can move off to the side). All in all T-Mobile haven't branded it to death like they did with the Compact IV.

Still seeing network dropouts though and my battery life is going down quite quickly (though I have been playing with it alot).

Gavin

Paul, why do you describe it as white, is the back white? All the photos I've seen have it as silver.

I dread telling the better half the bad news, may even have to add chocolate to the package to soften the blow.

Well the front of the device is silver (just the back which is black).

Gavin

Guest Stuart_f

Oh so the choices are silver bezel/black back (EU version) or silver bezel/white back (Asia version)?

I had thought the whole thing was black in the EU version.

If that's the case then the flexible friend is going to be making a purchase very soon.

Guest deadphill

Well first day impressions are mixed.

Interface is going to take a lot of getting used to but its not bad.

People comment on the directional button but I dont mind it to much, it makes things precise if nothing else!

Camera BLOOMING EXCELLENT. Makes me want to keep it just for that!

But these are my annoyances:

Signal level is crap! I have my Diamond sitting next to me on my desk at 2 bars HSDPA, with the omnia, it scrapes 3g, and yes I have enabled HSDPA on the phone as well as with T-Mobile.

Battery life dropped 2 bars in an hour of no use. Poor, very poor.

Downloading drops out if I decide to download a podcast. Worked fine on the Diamond.

The interconnects are awful, and not standard. I thought it wouldnt but it has already caused me grief where to put the device on my desk and having to use up another usb port which are rarer than rocking horse poop with my setup! Thats discounting the fact it has a charger sticking out the side of it like a fork has been poked in the side!

It has a stylus as a lanyard. ITS HORRID!

It doesnt have touchflo! It has something similar which is more clunky, but its just not right! Almost a contrast in my statement in good parts, but you see I rate it like this.

The battery apparently does get better but thats just weird. First impressions are everything when you are playing with very expensive toys like these. I thought I wouldnt like it without a hardware keyboard, but the Diamond is just so fantastic at what it does. It works so well, and if I could stick a hardware keyboard from the Touch Pro, and the Camera from the Omnia, I believe everyone on here would want one.

One day we will get there and thus far, we are not doing too bad. However, I am going to give it a few more days to see how I like it but as first impressions goes, this phone is on its way back to T-mobile. I will miss the camera as I have said before, but I cant justify that alone to keep it.

Time will tell no doubt!

Cheers

Phill

Is there a SIM lock on T-Mobile's Omnia? :D

I am due for an upgrade and am thinking of getting it. However I have some irrational dislike of being locked to one network :D

Guest Paul (MVP)

deadphill, the first battery run down was AWFUL for me, it was much better next time.

I don't use the stylus at all, funnily enough :D

Low signal is odd, it's WAY better than my Diamond...

P

Guest blackhorse
deadphill, the first battery run down was AWFUL for me, it was much better next time.

I don't use the stylus at all, funnily enough :D

Low signal is odd, it's WAY better than my Diamond...

P

I agree with Paul here 100%

The first charge or even the first 2 charges are VERY poor.

But it comes around very quickly and i am currently enjoying 3 days use of medium use, 2 day with heavy (My diamond struggles with 1)

Again Signal the Omnia has a much better internal ariel, my diamond would flick between 3g and 2g as 3g isnt so good inside my house, but the omnia will hold 3bars on 3g 90% of the time and has recentley been seen to sit in HSDPA

Deadphill - I agree with most of your assessments.

Signal is fairly poor so far for me. My suspicion is that it is OK until you get to a very poor signal area, then it doesn't hold it wekk at all. I drove up the road to pick a friend up tonight and I got a wonderful 4 bar signal. My batteey is going down fast, but I'm using it alot and it is the first discharge - I'll take a view after a few recharges.

Lanyard for a stylus is pretty bad and is probably my biggest complaint - why they couldn't put it in the device I don't know. I think if I keep it I'll get a case that has a stylus holder on the side. The one below is probably the one I'll go for.

http://www.ADVERTING SPAM.com/scripts/main/vi...&pdaid=I900

I played with the widget menu for some time and hated it. The alternate menu works out much better and I find very useable. The onscreen keyboard is working out OK, though I make the occaisional error on it.

The camera is excellent.

Gavin

Please keep the signal reports coming chaps - would be a deal breaker. I know I can flash the radio stack but I really would prefer not to HAVE to do it just to get the phone working properly.

Guest blackhorse
Please keep the signal reports coming chaps - would be a deal breaker. I know I can flash the radio stack but I really would prefer not to HAVE to do it just to get the phone working properly.

I have to disagree with weak signal (for anyones info im using radio stack HG5) and one of the places i go out to see friends, my SonyEriccssn never gets signal, my nokia has been until now the only handset that clings onto one bar, the Omnia, be it a weak signal, holds it ground with my nokia and clings on to what little signal there is

I have to disagree with weak signal (for anyones info im using radio stack HG5) and one of the places i go out to see friends, my SonyEriccssn never gets signal, my nokia has been until now the only handset that clings onto one bar, the Omnia, be it a weak signal, holds it ground with my nokia and clings on to what little signal there is

The Tmob one is running HH5 is it (if I am reading the ROM posted by deadphil correctly)? Guessing you can't go backwards in radio version?

Guest atomickarma

Until yesterday I was using (my second in a month, but now I've replaced it) the Samsung Tocco - not an Omnia, conceded, but with problems with the touch screen interface, calls ending without notice and difficulty in locking the touchscreen during calls after you have used the keypad to make your selection, not to mention it shutting itself off and back on again without picking up the SIM (and I'm one of many with this issue) I would advise caution when picking up the Omnia.

I looks bloody impressive, but reading through these messages it seems to have a few of the failings of the Tocco. Which given the high style of the phone and its running WinMo is a big disappointment. This phone could be the greatest WinMo device yet, and even attract attention away from the iPhone if packaged in the right way, but I'm not convinced Samsung are ready for that.

I ended up getting a Diamond, if you were wondering

Guest blackhorse
...calls ending without notice...

This problem has already been identified as either

A. The user didnt lock the phone when putting the phone to their ear to use, would at some point knock the onscreen end call button.

B. The Tocco was unable to handle the crossover calls from 2g to 3g whilst in call, this is currently a cause of operator software, as generic is proven to work, this is been investigated for a software fix, Samsung blame the networks for the "customised" software. (Orange were mainly having problems with this, hence why they have taken the Omnia with non branded software)

B. The Tocco was unable to handle the crossover calls from 2g to 3g whilst in call, this is currently a cause of operator software, as generic is proven to work, this is been investigated for a software fix, Samsung blame the networks for the "customised" software. (Orange were mainly having problems with this, hence why they have taken the Omnia with non branded software)

My Vario II STILL suffers from this problem. VERY annoying. Also will sometimes not reconnect to a mast after I have moved between 2G and 3G areas, although the phone shows no sign of this. Only clue is if I haven't had any calls. Then when I try and phone someone I get the dreaded three dings. Normally repeat three times before I can make a call. Ghastly.

Guest Fleabag

I was one of the first of that 100... :D

Mine arrived yesterday, 8GB version.

Looks real nice but I ultimately decided to stick with my Compact IV though, so I'll probably pass it on.

I was one of the first of that 100... ;)

Mine arrived yesterday, 8GB version.

Looks real nice but I ultimately decided to stick with my Compact IV though, so I'll probably pass it on.

What swayed your decision?

Been playing with my Omnia again today and really starting to get used to the Opera browser and how it works. Been getting 1-3 bars on GPRS today (much better than yesterday) and after browsing solidly on it for about an hour and a quarter my battery life has gone down to 75%, which isn't bad I think. My old Vario II would nearly be dead by now doing that (although I'd had it two years now).

I find some of the contacts stuff a bit clunky on it (would like a nice link to it directly on the Smasung 2 screen).

Gavin

Been playing with my Omnia again today and really starting to get used to the Opera browser and how it works. Been getting 1-3 bars on GPRS today (much better than yesterday) and after browsing solidly on it for about an hour and a quarter my battery life has gone down to 75%, which isn't bad I think. My old Vario II would nearly be dead by now doing that (although I'd had it two years now).

I find some of the contacts stuff a bit clunky on it (would like a nice link to it directly on the Smasung 2 screen).

Gavin

Wondering whether it has good signal on GPRS but doesn't get a good signal on 3G - Paul doesn't have 3G where he is, I beleive???

Wondering whether it has good signal on GPRS but doesn't get a good signal on 3G - Paul doesn't have 3G where he is, I beleive???

My 3G coverage here is non existant. The one I seem to be getting little signal on is 2G. The GPRS seems to work fine though here.

The phone version on the T-mobile Omnia is HH2. I'm not sure whether I should flash the phone back to HG5 as others are reporting very good signals with that radio version. I'm a little nervous of doing this though as I've never done it before and don't want to brick it.

Gavin

Well I rang T-Mob yesterday asking if I could upgrade from my SIM-only contract to an 18 Month with an Omnia and was told that it hasn't been released yet and it wasn't on the website. I told them that I know it wasn't on the website but it had been released. They then agreed that it had indeed been released but I couldn't order it until it appears on the T-Mob website! ;)

All I want is a quick 'how much' answer as Vodafone are offering it free on a £35 contract (600 minutes, unlimited texts, 'unlimited' internet (500Mb)). So I'm sorely tempted to defect to Vodafone - I only hope T-Mob can at least match their offer as I'm a happy camper with T-Mob. I live in hope! :wacko:

My 3G coverage here is non existant. The one I seem to be getting little signal on is 2G. The GPRS seems to work fine though here.

The phone version on the T-mobile Omnia is HH2. I'm not sure whether I should flash the phone back to HG5 as others are reporting very good signals with that radio version. I'm a little nervous of doing this though as I've never done it before and don't want to brick it.

Gavin

Be interesting to know, although I am more interested in 3G coverage. And if your battery is taking a beating on 2G that is real cause for concern. In my experience of the Vario II it wasn't possible to flash an older radio stack, although one of the boffins at XDA may have got round that, and it may not apply to the Omnia.

Be interesting to know, although I am more interested in 3G coverage. And if your battery is taking a beating on 2G that is real cause for concern. In my experience of the Vario II it wasn't possible to flash an older radio stack, although one of the boffins at XDA may have got round that, and it may not apply to the Omnia.

This morning I must have accidently knocked my Omnia onto flight mode when I got into the car. When I got to work an hour later the battery had dropped by 40%!!!! This implies to me that there is a problem with this radio ROM as when it is getting no coverage it seems to be continually trying to search and draining the battery.

Now that I'm in work I'm getting good 3G coverage, though I've seen it alternate between no bars and 4 bars this morning with a normal state of 2 bars. Surely it should hold the signal better than than?

I'm getting tempted to flash the device to HH3 radio to see if it will improve it. As I've never flashed a mobile phone before I'm a little nervous of doing it. There seems to be alot of advice here about flashing ROMs, but what do I need if I only want to flash the radio ROM and not the PDA ROM. Will it need a reboot afterwards?

Advice would be much appreciated as I like the Omnia but this issue is a killer for me.

Gavin

This morning I must have accidently knocked my Omnia onto flight mode when I got into the car. When I got to work an hour later the battery had dropped by 40%!!!! This implies to me that there is a problem with this radio ROM as when it is getting no coverage it seems to be continually trying to search and draining the battery.

Now that I'm in work I'm getting good 3G coverage, though I've seen it alternate between no bars and 4 bars this morning with a normal state of 2 bars. Surely it should hold the signal better than than?

I'm getting tempted to flash the device to HH3 radio to see if it will improve it. As I've never flashed a mobile phone before I'm a little nervous of doing it. There seems to be alot of advice here about flashing ROMs, but what do I need if I only want to flash the radio ROM and not the PDA ROM. Will it need a reboot afterwards?

Advice would be much appreciated as I like the Omnia but this issue is a killer for me.

Gavin

I would think that if you knocked it into flight mode then the radio ROM is NOT at fault for the battery loss - it would not have been trying to connect to a mast since it was not on. Could the screen have been permanently on when it was in the car? On my Vario II having the screen lit all the time kills the battery.

The coverage issue does sound like a radio problem and flashing might help. Best bet would be head over to XDA developers and locate the Omnia forum and see what tools have been developed for helping flash ROMs (dont know if HardSPL exists for the Omnia?), but make sure you read everything thoroughly - they are an unbelievably clever lot over at XDA but not always overly helpful to mere mortals who have managed to b0rk their phone.

Guest deadphill

XDA devs only do devices originally manafactured by htc.

Dont expect the omnia appearing there any soon. I would suggest that MoDaCo is the best place for all your Omnia needs.

Cheers

Phill

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.