Have you tried to flash a branded Samsung Omnia I900 *, what happened?

Guest Ice Man

Guest Ice Man

Have you managed to flash your branded Voda Omnia, i'm looking at doing so too, but no one has said definitely by using the service centre version of HH1 that this it works, does anyone know if there are major differences in the handset which could cause a failed update, i.e specific hardware settings which need to be removed first before flashing with a samsung unbranded rom, i beleive there are a lot of chaps on this site asking this question but not really getting a straight answer, i understand this will change with experiance so if you have updated a branded omnia can you post your experiance / process taken.

Please note model, previous flash (phone/pda), new flash (phone/pda), branded network, country purchased.

Edited by Ice Man

Guest gavinfabl

If anyone can urgently respond please, as I could buy an Omnia 8gb from Vodafone. They have reduced the PAYG price for £400 to £380 and now to £350. If this could be reflashed, this is a brilliant deal.

Guest inst4nce

OK I've managed to brick two Voda Handsets onto my third now,

The Vodafone Handset has to have this done really as it auto answers when it's got a pin lock on or when you have the browser open. (Knightmare in anyones book)

The first device I used the repacked HH1 Runtime error BRICKED instantly, the second device I used the Grand Prix method, got it to portugese version fine but then the DXHH1 wouldn't install because of incorrect version. tried the HH1 repacked one again from the portugese version BRICKED

Third one I'm thinking I might either leave it alone without connecting it to my exchange server (which requires a PIN set) or give the HH£ ago

Guest Arramond

I flashed my 8gb vodafone omnia up to HH3 all round and it works fine apart from the smart reader doesn't run.

Any ideas how to change files on the windows folder as my brother has an omnia and his smart reader works fine. Just wondering if i put the files from his reader into my phone would it work? the ony problem is permissions to delete or replace files in the windows folder.

Edited by Arramond

Guest inst4nce
Ok that worked. Thanks for that ;)

Did you flash it using the Grand Prix method ?

ie: going to the portugese version then running the HH3

or did you just run the HH3 directly?

was the downloaded ROM you used Labled i900DXHH3 ?

Nice Work on this one buddy

Guest Arramond
Did you flash it using the Grand Prix method ?

ie: going to the portugese version then running the HH3

or did you just run the HH3 directly?

was the downloaded ROM you used Labled i900DXHH3 ?

Nice Work on this one buddy

Here is what i did

using a windows XP 32bit computer

1. first Install active sync 4.5

2. Install the windows XP Samsung modem driver (reboot after you install it).

3. connect phone with usb cable and switch on

4 wait for active sync to say connected.

5. run update software (DXHH3).

6. Switch off phone (wait for screen to turn off completely).

7. switch on phone.

8. Update software should detect phone. click start on update software.

9. wait and pray

Arramond,

Can i check a few things:

1. Your Voda handset, whats the model number is it i900 or i900V, the V is a distinct voda handset just want to check on this making sure yours isnt one from somwhere like phones4u who do usually issue unbranded handsets.

2. if you handset is the 1900V, can you post the details of you previous pda/phone firmware if you know, the location/filenames of the firmware/s you installed, and also the step by step process you used for this.

Reason being is that you as far as i'm aware are the only person to have managed to do this on a voda handset, and i'm wondering if you've got a slightly different handset/starting firmware which makes this possible.

Cheers mate, from all of us.

Guest Arramond
Arramond,

Can i check a few things:

1. Your Voda handset, whats the model number is it i900 or i900V, the V is a distinct voda handset just want to check on this making sure yours isnt one from somwhere like phones4u who do usually issue unbranded handsets.

2. if you handset is the 1900V, can you post the details of you previous pda/phone firmware if you know, the location/filenames of the firmware/s you installed, and also the step by step process you used for this.

Reason being is that you as far as i'm aware are the only person to have managed to do this on a voda handset, and i'm wondering if you've got a slightly different handset/starting firmware which makes this possible.

Cheers mate, from all of us.

yep it's is an i900v direct from vodafone themselves. It has an i900v sticker on the box.

this is the firmware i installed

http://rapidshare.com/files/141174440/i900DXHH3.part1.rar

http://rapidshare.com/files/141180715/i900DXHH3.part2.rar

or

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?xocswrevoyj

Edited by Arramond

Firstly high to everyone, this is my first post, just joined to day as I get my OMNIA tomorrow from VODAFONE. ;) For the last 5 years I have been an SE boy and have now taken the plunge to try something new......sorry so back on topic

Good work! welcome to vodafone free bliss.

Does this also mean welcome to a phone with no warranty? Don't get me wrong I hate the branding they put on phones and I will certainly want to an uptodate ROM if it makes using the phone better, but if I update the ROM does that mean I have no warranty?

Thanks JD

Firstly high to everyone, this is my first post, just joined to day as I get my OMNIA tomorrow from VODAFONE. ;) For the last 5 years I have been an SE boy and have now taken the plunge to try something new......sorry so back on topic

Does this also mean welcome to a phone with no warranty? Don't get me wrong I hate the branding they put on phones and I will certainly want to an uptodate ROM if it makes using the phone better, but if I update the ROM does that mean I have no warranty?

Thanks JD

As far as I know JD, the majority of these roms have been sourced/built from existing phone roms and are not official releases, apart from the one listed on the samsungmobile site, however this one too is not officially for the UK phones and is also an earlier firmware release to the one shipped on the voda handsets, so yes would assume applying any of these roms will invalidate your warranty, also if you manage to debrand your phone then there are no current vodafone roms available to rebrand!

Hope this helps

yep it's is an i900v direct from vodafone themselves. It has an i900v sticker on the box.

this is the firmware i installed

http://rapidshare.com/files/141174440/i900DXHH3.part1.rar

http://rapidshare.com/files/141180715/i900DXHH3.part2.rar

or

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?xocswrevoyj

Arramond,

Did you have to/try to use the following process to change the software region prior to the update, just wondered if it allowed you to get into config settings before as it wont on mine, and does it now since the update? I know others are expressing the same issue on Vodas?

http://www.modaco.com/content/i900-omnia-h...re-version-fix/

• Press the 'dial' key to the left of the optical pad to bring up the dialer
  • With the onscreen keypad input *#1546792*#
  • Select 'Preconfiguration'
  • Enter code *#81230*# and select OK
  • Select 'Singapore', with the default Operator
  • Accept this, DEVICE WILL HARD RESET
  • Run update, and all should be well.

Edited by Ice Man

As far as I know JD, the majority of these roms have been sourced/built from existing phone roms and are not official releases, apart from the one listed on the samsungmobile site, however this one too is not officially for the UK phones and is also an earlier firmware release to the one shipped on the voda handsets, so yes would assume applying any of these roms will invalidate your warranty, also if you manage to debrand your phone then there are no current vodafone roms available to rebrand!

Hope this helps

Thanks Ice Man

Good old boys, I think we now have a working process for Voda handsets!

;)

New Firmware

PDA: I900DXHH3/DXHH3

Phone: I900DXHH3

Original Firmware

PDA: I900XXHH1\ACHH1

Phone: I900BUHG5

Steps taken to install DXHH3 ROM to my Samsung Omnia (i900V):

1. Installed Active Sync 4.5 (restart XP).

2. Installed XP Samsung Modem Driver (restart XP).

3. Connect phone with USB Cable & switch phone on.

4. Wait for Active Sync to say Connected.

5. Run [i900DXHH3.exe] Updater.

6. Switch off phone & wait for the screen to turn off completely (note pressing the reset button is no good).

7. Switch on phone.

8. Update software should then detect phone.

9. Click the start button on the update software.

10. EBOOT, PDA, CSC, updates will process each in turn, then the USB port will disconect.

11. Com port will be found (if not refer to below note).

12. Phone, plus a few other updates will then be installed, updater will say 'Job Done' and the phone will reset.

13. Phone will take a few minutes to boot, then will auto reset for preconfig settings.

14. You are now a proud owner of a i900V turned i900 (i.e Vodafone free)

If Com port fails at step (11) then do:

At this point the updater will have failed to find a com port and the update now says failed, your Omnia will have hung on the boot screen with a full green bar at the bottom, but dont panic!

This is because a new driver being installed to XP during this process dident install in time during the com port search, so just wait for the driver message to pop up in XP saying something like 'Hardware is now ready to use' give it a 10 second wait, then close the failed updater application.

Now re-run the updater application, and then press reset on your Omnia, the updater should again find your device, and you should now repeat from step (9), this time it should install all the way!

However if this dosent work don't blaim me i'm just detailing my experience.

Hope this helps, and many thanks to Paul (MVP), Arramond, inst4nce, and secany for their efforts.

Guest Dan Sansome

big thanks to ice man et al for compiling this guide.

im just in the process of "growing a pair" before flashing my i900V.

did you have to manually input your gprs access points etc after flashing to generic FW?

Edited by Dan Sansome

Good old boys, I think we now have a working process for Voda handsets!

;)

New Firmware

PDA: I900DXHH3/DXHH3

Phone: I900DXHH3

Original Firmware

PDA: I900XXHH1\ACHH1

Phone: I900BUHG5

Steps taken to install DXHH3 ROM to my Samsung Omnia (i900V):

1. Installed Active Sync 4.5 (restart XP).

2. Installed XP Samsung Modem Driver (restart XP).

3. Connect phone with USB Cable & switch phone on.

4. Wait for Active Sync to say Connected.

5. Run [i900DXHH3.exe] Updater.

6. Switch off phone & wait for the screen to turn off completely (note pressing the reset button is no good).

7. Switch on phone.

8. Update software should then detect phone.

9. Click the start button on the update software.

10. EBOOT, PDA, CSC, updates will process each in turn, then the USB port will disconect.

11. Com port will be found (if not refer to below note).

12. Phone, plus a few other updates will then be installed, updater will say 'Job Done' and the phone will reset.

13. Phone will take a few minutes to boot, then will auto reset for preconfig settings.

14. You are now a proud owner of a i900V turned i900 (i.e Vodafone free)

If Com port fails at step (11) then do:

At this point the updater will have failed to find a com port and the update now says failed, your Omnia will have hung on the boot screen with a full green bar at the bottom, but dont panic!

This is because a new driver being installed to XP during this process dident install in time during the com port search, so just wait for the driver message to pop up in XP saying something like 'Hardware is now ready to use' give it a 10 second wait, then close the failed updater application.

Now re-run the updater application, and then press reset on your Omnia, the updater should again find your device, and you should now repeat from step (9), this time it should install all the way!

However if this dosent work don't blaim me i'm just detailing my experience.

Hope this helps, and many thanks to Paul (MVP), Arramond, inst4nce, and secany for their efforts.

Congratulations, Did you choose the format option? How is the update compared to the Vodafone ROM? Can you confirm also where you downloaded the files from? Many thanks

Also

Dont forget to hard reset after new firmware has installed.

(Pickup and disconnect key held pressed in, then press reset)

Not seen this before do you mean hold call disconnect until it locks then reset next to power? Is this the same as hard reset link in the ROMs? Thanks to both