Samsung Omnia, memory critically low

Guest ChewieT

Hi, first post, hope someone can help. Have posted this on other forums but no real joy as of yet.

OK, this is starting to bug me a bit.

Seems on the omnia there are 4 types of memory.

Storage, Programs, My Storage and Storage Card.

Storage card is fairly obvious. Micro SD card inseted into slot. My card shows a total of 1936.88MB with 1294.97 MB free.

My Storage is the 8GB of internal storage, this is where I install all of my programs. Bar a couple such as mobile shell which I thought should go into storage memory. My storage shows a total of 7676.00 MB with 1633.00 MB free

Program (I am assuming this is RAM which gets used up the more programs are running) This shows a total of 97.37 MB with currently 43.44 MB free.

And finally Storage memory and this is the one thats causing me problems. This shows a total of 92.48 MB with currently 9.51 MB free. However after a bit of browsing with Opera 9.5, this will soon decrease to 0.00 MB free as the cache starts to fill up. Now I can free up aroung 10 MB again bt clearing the cache, but this is a bit of a PITA.

So couple of questions, can I get the cache to be automatically saved to My Storage, and is there anything else I can get rid of to try and free up a bit more space. This is a list of the folders under my programs on the main device (not in My Storage)

ArcSoft (contains 0 files, 2 folders, 0 bytes)

Cognima (contains 29 files, 26 folders, 11.53 kB)

Connections (contains 0 files, 1 folders, 0 bytes)

Photo Slides (contains 3 files, 0 folders, 296.23 kB)

Podcasts (contains 2 files, 1 folders, 30.39 kB)

RSS Reader (contains 4 files, 0 folders, 220.03 kB)

SPB Mobile Shell (contains 44 files, 1 folders, 2.99 MB)

WAP (contains 0 files, 1 folders, 0 bytes)

Windows Media Player (contains 2 files, 0 folders, 80 bytes)

Other Folders

Application Data (contains 616 files, 68 folders, 6.77 MB)

ConnMgr (contains 2 files, 0 folders, 158 bytes)

Documents and Settings (contains 3 files, 1 folders, 2.0 MB)

My Documents (contains 87 files, 18 folders, 1.44 MB)

Temp (contains 2 files, 3 folders, 4.57 kB)

TomTom (contains 1 files, 0 folders, 35.02 kB)

Windows (contains 3502 files, 86 folders, 236.69 MB)

Not sure how the windows folder is calculated because it is obviously much bigger than the 92.5 MB available in Storage. Yet it is only showing as taking up 35.49% of storage.

I would appreciate any hints or tips on maximising the space on Storage, so It is not continuously running low and I have to keep clearing Operas Cache.

This system seems a little strange that you can be running out of memory and getting critically low errors and not be able to recieve a simple text because the storage space is so low, and yet you could still have 8GB free in My Storage.

It seems to me that even if I install applications onto My Storage, space is taken up on storage. Is this a bug with early firmware versions, seems silly with all this space I am limited to the applications I can install. I have read that newer firmware increases the "storage" space from around 92 to 120 MB.

I am loathed to have to start again with my phone as its taken ages to set it up how I want. I have spb backup. If I backup and then flash to a newer firmware, can I then restore and get all my applications and settings back.

And where do I get the latest firmware and is it easily flashed.

I have a vodafone UK handset my firmware is as follows

PDA i900XXHH1/ACHH1

Phone i900BUHG5

Since all these specs were originally posted on other forums, I have installed more stuff, always to My Storage. And I have even mapped my messages and IE cache, history and cookies to My Storage using skTools. The only thing I have installed on Storage is mobile shell, because I read that was where it should be installed.

Operas Cache takes up a fair bit of space, and a bit of browsing and I will soon be getting critically low memory errors, can this be mapped to My Storage.

So with no programs except mobile shell installed, I am down to 7.32MB free now. And I know if I install more stuff to MY Storage this will soon be taken up.

Many thanks for reading my first post.

Edited by ChewieT

Guest FutureDirt

SPB Mobile shell doesnt have to be installed any where specifically.

I have it installed onto the storage card with no problems.

In fact i have EVERYTHING installed onto the storage card.

I am sure there is registry tweak/hack around somewhere that will allow you to cache Opera onto the SD card. I will have a look and if i find anything i will post it here.

Guest FutureDirt

Check this: http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=120758

and this: http://www.mobilitysite.com/boards/applica...-ini-files.html

Loads of tips there for Opera as it was on wm2003... but im pretty sure that the tips for moving the cache would still apply to Opera 9.5 on wm6 (with a couple of edits regarding mem card path names etc).

Hope that helps!

Thanks a lot for that will look into it. But even with mobile shell and operas cache on storage, I am still very low on memory considering everything else has been installed in my storage.

Guest FutureDirt

It is slightly bizarre actually.... like i said above i have EVERYTHING installed onto the storage card.

Only items that i have actually put onto the device memory are shortcuts in the start menu.

My mem:

Storage:

Total: 92.48 MB

In use: 70.02 MB

Free: 22.46 MB

Program:

Total: 97.37 MB

In use: 38.08 MB

Free: 59.29 MB

(Same firmware as yours)

Edited by FutureDirt

Guest FutureDirt
did u guys try to cleanup the caches??? cause everytime i clean it it give me20-30mb back

just cleaned up cache, cookies, history, everything from IE and Opera...

Storage:

Total: 92.48 MB

In use: 69.21 MB

Free: 23.27 MB

so not much improvement.

Any other cache's / temp folders we can look at?

"to move the cache to the storage card...

-Close Opera.

-Create a folder on your storage card where the cache files will go.* I chose \Storage Card\Program Files\Opera\cache4, but I don't think the folder structure or folder name matter.

-Open \Application Data\Opera\opera.ini in a text editor.

-In the [user Prefs] section, add the following line: Cache Directory4=[full path to folder on storage card].

-Save and close opera.ini.

-Restart Opera. Your cache is now being written to your storage card."

Guest princeluke

Hya got same problem here on my omnia...got 16Gb version sitting almost 20% used but other memory almost full..

having to clear everything every now and then. its crazy how they've made this setup. Its almost useless to have the 16gb when you can do very little on the primary memory.

HELP anyone?????? ;)

Hi, first post, hope someone can help. Have posted this on other forums but no real joy as of yet.

OK, this is starting to bug me a bit.

Seems on the omnia there are 4 types of memory.

Storage, Programs, My Storage and Storage Card.

Storage card is fairly obvious. Micro SD card inseted into slot. My card shows a total of 1936.88MB with 1294.97 MB free.

My Storage is the 8GB of internal storage, this is where I install all of my programs. Bar a couple such as mobile shell which I thought should go into storage memory. My storage shows a total of 7676.00 MB with 1633.00 MB free

Program (I am assuming this is RAM which gets used up the more programs are running) This shows a total of 97.37 MB with currently 43.44 MB free.

And finally Storage memory and this is the one thats causing me problems. This shows a total of 92.48 MB with currently 9.51 MB free. However after a bit of browsing with Opera 9.5, this will soon decrease to 0.00 MB free as the cache starts to fill up. Now I can free up aroung 10 MB again bt clearing the cache, but this is a bit of a PITA.

So couple of questions, can I get the cache to be automatically saved to My Storage, and is there anything else I can get rid of to try and free up a bit more space. This is a list of the folders under my programs on the main device (not in My Storage)

ArcSoft (contains 0 files, 2 folders, 0 bytes)

Cognima (contains 29 files, 26 folders, 11.53 kB)

Connections (contains 0 files, 1 folders, 0 bytes)

Photo Slides (contains 3 files, 0 folders, 296.23 kB)

Podcasts (contains 2 files, 1 folders, 30.39 kB)

RSS Reader (contains 4 files, 0 folders, 220.03 kB)

SPB Mobile Shell (contains 44 files, 1 folders, 2.99 MB)

WAP (contains 0 files, 1 folders, 0 bytes)

Windows Media Player (contains 2 files, 0 folders, 80 bytes)

Other Folders

Application Data (contains 616 files, 68 folders, 6.77 MB)

ConnMgr (contains 2 files, 0 folders, 158 bytes)

Documents and Settings (contains 3 files, 1 folders, 2.0 MB)

My Documents (contains 87 files, 18 folders, 1.44 MB)

Temp (contains 2 files, 3 folders, 4.57 kB)

TomTom (contains 1 files, 0 folders, 35.02 kB)

Windows (contains 3502 files, 86 folders, 236.69 MB)

Not sure how the windows folder is calculated because it is obviously much bigger than the 92.5 MB available in Storage. Yet it is only showing as taking up 35.49% of storage.

I would appreciate any hints or tips on maximising the space on Storage, so It is not continuously running low and I have to keep clearing Operas Cache.

This system seems a little strange that you can be running out of memory and getting critically low errors and not be able to recieve a simple text because the storage space is so low, and yet you could still have 8GB free in My Storage.

It seems to me that even if I install applications onto My Storage, space is taken up on storage. Is this a bug with early firmware versions, seems silly with all this space I am limited to the applications I can install. I have read that newer firmware increases the "storage" space from around 92 to 120 MB.

I am loathed to have to start again with my phone as its taken ages to set it up how I want. I have spb backup. If I backup and then flash to a newer firmware, can I then restore and get all my applications and settings back.

And where do I get the latest firmware and is it easily flashed.

I have a vodafone UK handset my firmware is as follows

PDA i900XXHH1/ACHH1

Phone i900BUHG5

Since all these specs were originally posted on other forums, I have installed more stuff, always to My Storage. And I have even mapped my messages and IE cache, history and cookies to My Storage using skTools. The only thing I have installed on Storage is mobile shell, because I read that was where it should be installed.

Operas Cache takes up a fair bit of space, and a bit of browsing and I will soon be getting critically low memory errors, can this be mapped to My Storage.

So with no programs except mobile shell installed, I am down to 7.32MB free now. And I know if I install more stuff to MY Storage this will soon be taken up.

Many thanks for reading my first post.

Guest princeluke

thanks for this...good help...did it and opera files now goes straight to my 16gb internal memory!

are there any program where I can do thesame? or I may need to?!

thanks!

-Close Opera.

-Create a folder on your storage card where the cache files will go.* I chose \Storage Card\Program Files\Opera\cache4, but I don't think the folder structure or folder name matter.

-In the [user Prefs] section, add the following line: Cache Directory4=[full path to folder on storage card].

• 3 weeks later...
Guest flipmode81

-Close Opera.

How do you open the file in a text editor sorry?

Guest MBA140

I would recommend trying a program called Memaid. You can use it to optimize the memory both automatically and by some manual tweaks. It will also reclaim RAM being held by programs that do not close cleanly. There is a trial version. Be very careful though as some tweaks in the advanced mode can cause serious problems if you get it wrong, back up if you can.

I have Spb Shell in main memory and still have 42MB of Storage memory left.

Edited by MBA140

Guest swordje

So, I registered especially to say the following, because it annoyed the cr*p out of me also.

check in your Opera > download folder

I had downloaded something of 32MB which obviously made the phone memory of 90MB spill the bucket, after an hour of entensiv searching trough the folders (because the file didn't appear when I did the search for files larger then 64kb) I found that this was my problem, also, I didn't have the phone for that long yet so when clearing the cache it gave me another 3.5MB..

hope this helps anybody

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Omnia_101

My memory doesn't add up at all <_<

When I click on Settings>Memory, I get two choices; Main or Storage Card. So I added around 100 .mp3 songs to the 'DCIM' folder when my Omnia was connected to my computer. Now when I'm on my phone and I click Settings>Memory>Storage Card it tells me I have used up every last bit of my Storage Card memory :lol:

With the 8GB Omnia you are supposed to be able to store around 2500 songs altogether?! Where have I gone wrong?

Edited by Omnia_101

Guest arjman22

i have the same problem aftert installing couple of application to my storage , i'm out of internal memory and it asks to delete some date , i have the 8gig version but my firmware is exactly like yours, i guess there is a problem with this firmware,

Hi,

I guess that with your Vodafone mobile you are having the same issue I had with my SFR one (the french Vodafone). The problem is that you have a branded ROM will lots of stuff that takes lots of memory.

So, if you really want to be able to use your mobile without problems I suggest you to install an unbranded ROM version. Look into the thread of Secany's ROMs, http://www.modaco.com/content/i900-omnia-h...read-new-dxhj1/.

After flashing an unbranded ROM you will have about 50 Mb of free program space.

Good luck!

Javier

PS: Be aware that flashing an unbranded ROM may "stop" the warranty...

Guest Omnia_101
i have the same problem aftert installing couple of application to my storage , i'm out of internal memory and it asks to delete some date , i have the 8gig version but my firmware is exactly like yours, i guess there is a problem with this firmware,

Yea, which isnt very good considering the price that you pay for the omnia :lol:

Hi,

I guess that with your Vodafone mobile you are having the same issue I had with my SFR one (the french Vodafone). The problem is that you have a branded ROM will lots of stuff that takes lots of memory.

So, if you really want to be able to use your mobile without problems I suggest you to install an unbranded ROM version. Look into the thread of Secany's ROMs, http://www.modaco.com/content/i900-omnia-h...read-new-dxhj1/.

After flashing an unbranded ROM you will have about 50 Mb of free program space.

Good luck!

Javier

PS: Be aware that flashing an unbranded ROM may "stop" the warranty...

And uh oh balles, im not very technical, so i dont really understand what you're saying...is there a way to fix the memory problem?

Edited by Omnia_101

• 2 weeks later...
Guest AlfonsÃ…berg
SPB Mobile shell doesnt have to be installed any where specifically.

I have it installed onto the storage card with no problems.

In fact i have EVERYTHING installed onto the storage card.

I am sure there is registry tweak/hack around somewhere that will allow you to cache Opera onto the SD card. I will have a look and if i find anything i will post it here.

Which raises a question for me. Not sure if if has be brought up before but:

Where is it best to install programs?

Storage card or on the internal?

Can it be a difference between software to software?

I am a old Nokia user and this is my first Wndiws Mobile Phone so not 100% with it yet!

On the Nokia phones I could install a prog on the sd card and switch on demand, for example. I had one card with only games etc! Might not be necessary with the omnia as it has a massive stoarage but might come in handy, can never have enough of storage you know;)

Edited by AlfonsÃ…berg

• 2 months later...
Guest ricodom

Hi. I have a Samsung Omnia on VZW network. I was getting the "Memory Critically Low" error too. So, I opened File Explorer and did some searching for files that could be removed etc. I found an entire cache of files here: My Device: Program Files: VZAppZone:Temp:Temp

I deleted these files using a mass delete: Menu:Edit:Select All: Menu:Delete With no ill effects as of yet.

I spent the better part of an hour testing every application on the phone, opening contacts, etc. I haven't noticed anything wrong.

Doing this freed up almost 35mb of storage!!!!!

Has anyone else done this? Thank you!

Rick

Guest Nost@lgia
Hi. I have a Samsung Omnia on VZW network. I was getting the "Memory Critically Low" error too. So, I opened File Explorer and did some searching for files that could be removed etc. I found an entire cache of files here: My Device: Program Files: VZAppZone:Temp:Temp

I deleted these files using a mass delete: Menu:Edit:Select All: Menu:Delete With no ill effects as of yet.

I spent the better part of an hour testing every application on the phone, opening contacts, etc. I haven't noticed anything wrong.

Rick

Simply Download 'ClearTemp' . it's free and very handy one. u can even change ur cache folder from device to any storage u want in option. and use SKtool lite. it also has Free up ROM fuction.

and I recommend u guys use clean ROm or M2D rom if u suffer critical low memory issue.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest dopeness

Rick

I installed the VZNappzone and after a day I got the "critical storage error". I had no idea why that was happening - 20 mb's on top of the Opera cache! No one on VZN tech support knew either. After an hour or two looking through file explored I searched for the date of any new files. It was the Appzone. I uninstalled it immediately. I have no use for it anyway.

Guest dopeness
or just type in opera address bar opera:config and scroll to the end to user prefs and change it there under cache directory4 entry

Wow. This seems like the easiest approach to take.

My questions are:

1. After you get to this stage (that you listed above) what are the EXACT steps I need to take. (I am noob, admittedly, and I don't want to wreck something and void the VZN warranty).

2. I read on some of the other forums listed earlier in this thread that there was a matter of copying Opera files from the main memory to the SD. To maintain the same functionality is that necessary to do this as well with your method? Or is it a matter of just changing the storage folder on the SD?

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

Guest mementomori
Wow. This seems like the easiest approach to take.

My questions are:

1. After you get to this stage (that you listed above) what are the EXACT steps I need to take. (I am noob, admittedly, and I don't want to wreck something and void the VZN warranty).

2. I read on some of the other forums listed earlier in this thread that there was a matter of copying Opera files from the main memory to the SD. To maintain the same functionality is that necessary to do this as well with your method? Or is it a matter of just changing the storage folder on the SD?

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

in opera:config u see many different options under eachother, just scroll down to user prefs and tab it. now the options of user pref roll out. scroll down to the cache4 directory and just ad My Storage (choose the exact name for your storage)in front of what is already there. when finished, your done, just scroll down and save. after that close opera and your ready to go. no problems..

and use cleartemp..good program

Edited by mementomori