TMC

Guest osuijk

Guest bobobird
I think BeamRider has nothing to share and there is no progress. The only thing we sow here for months are messages, that he is working on that, without any result, screenshots, source code etc.

If it is so difficult, why not to distribute the source code to other users to get some help?

Here is someone doing something for nothing and if there is progress - great. If there isnt - that is fine too.

Just because you are frustrated does'nt mean you should be saying anything disrespectful to the only person who is trying to do something about this.

You of course have an option to get out of this frustration - get your self a TMC unit.....

Edited by bobobird

Guest BeamRider
You of course have an option to get out of this frustration - get your self a TMC unit.....

At last I succeded in extracting the RDS data and patching the headset check (anyway in my area I couldn't receive RDS without the antenna).

Attached you'll find the log coming out from my monitor application:

If someone (that knows RDS protocol or want to use some 3rd party software) wants to check it , the hex format is:

edit (format error): BBBBAAAA DDDDCCCC

where A-C are the received groups. The log lasts for about 2 minutes. I still haven't checked with decoder 'cause I'm so excited that I coldn't wait anymore to post B)

Time to write the serial driver :( :(

rds.txt

Edited by BeamRider

Guest BeamRider

I converted the file into DecoRDS format and took some screenshots (just for bawdiest fun) ...

DecoRDS startup

Playback started, Group 0 shown: Basic tuning and switching information

Group 2: RadioText

Group 3: ODA

Group 4: Clock-time and Date

Group 8: last but not least ... TMC!!!

I've attached the DecoRDS compatible file also (as you can see it's very easy to convert into).

I'm starting the development of the GNS protocol, but I'm looking also to Open TMC (iGo supported), but now it's 2AM ... time to go to bed and have some sleep.

post-436370-1236991919_thumb.jpg

post-436370-1236991930_thumb.jpg

post-436370-1236991941_thumb.jpg

post-436370-1236991949_thumb.jpg

post-436370-1236991955_thumb.jpg

post-436370-1236991971_thumb.jpg

BeamRider.txt

Edited by BeamRider

Guest bobobird

Wow and double wow.... BeamRider you are getting somewhere....

Btw the only version of iGo that autodetects the Omnia TMC is v8.0.0.54000

Guest BeamRider
Btw the only version of iGo that autodetects the Omnia TMC is v8.0.0.54000

When finished, iGo (as for any other) will detect a generic GNS or OpenTMC, maybe I will implement Realtek also, but I'll stick with GNS for the first release. iGo 8.0.0.5400 detection on Omnia was a bug: I think it was detecting something else as TMC (AGPS interface?).

I'm not promising, but I think also that the virtual serial could fix TT-GPS problems and I think we illl not need GPSGate anymore (but still remains a very useful piece of software). Need to do some tests on low priority.

The worst part has finished so warm your mobiles, I will need some tests very soon.

Guest bobobird

GPS Gate has never been needed for iGo but yes needed for for TT.

About 54000, I dont remember what it detected. I will del the save folder and see what chipset it found. Will post later.

Guest dwallersv
Here is someone doing something for nothing and if there is progress - great. If there isnt - that is fine too.

Just because you are frustrated does'nt mean you should be saying anything disrespectful to the only person who is trying to do something about this.

Bobobird, you are very kind and diplomatic in your response to that guy. My first impulse was to simply post a response telling him what a giant anus he is.

Oops! I just did B)

Guest dwallersv
At last I succeded in extracting the RDS data and patching the headset check (anyway in my area I couldn't receive RDS without the antenna).

Do you think it's possible to recieve at all without the headset "antenna"? It's my guess that there probably isn't sufficient wiring/traces in the phone, at the right wavelength matching lengths, to recieve a signal at all.

Part of what leads me to believe this is that when using the 3-way multiport adapter, the radio will operate if the headset is plugged in to it (because headset detection, used by several functions on the phone, is activated), but nothing can be recieved at all as if the antenna isn't connected (which I suspect it isn't -- the shunt for the grounding braid in the headset to the antenna pin on the phone is not passed through the 3-way).

So, I'm thinking there's kinda bad news that we will have to have the headset plugged in for TMC to work, and the really bad news is we won't be able to use the 3-way adapter to plug in both power and the headset/antenna to solve the problem -- which, when using a nav program, is kind of essential given the heavy power drain.

Of course, all this is easily fixed if someone has the schematic for the phone's port and the 3-way adapter. Then we can just fix the missing shunt... Anyone?

Edited by dwallersv

Guest nicknova

Hi BeamRider,

Really, you're doing a great job with this new project and I belive you'll come true soon.

Don't know if you have got the new Samsung Windows Mobile SDK 1.0, but if don't you can download from here. Maybe it can be useful for this and many others applications in a future. Thanks for your efforts!

Cheers.

Edited by nicknova

Guest BeamRider

Do you think it's possible to recieve at all without the headset "antenna"?

No, I don't think so (unless you live under the broadcast transmitter). Omnia uses a specific pin on its connector for the antenna (PIN 1 and 2 on the connector) and inside it there's not enough space (Omnia is a very dense piece of hardware) to resonate on correct frequecies. The Samsung connector pinout is availble on other thread.

Does someone know where to find spare connectors for Omnia? I have several cables but haven't found the connector (with all metallic pins). I plan to build my own omnia "hub" with antenna port (very useful if used on the car).

Humm...will it work in US???????

It will work in the US, the only problem I have is to find a solid way to initialize FM Radio for different regions (different regions means different tuning range). Still I would like to auto initialize the radio on GPS position ... but I tink I will take a config parameter to speed up things.

I would take a virtual pint of beer (red please B)) but don't worry ... I don't have plans for taking money from anybody unless someone absolutely wants to donate, but you see ... no project web site, nothing of commercial aspect! My "commercial" target is to wake up Samsung interest on this feature and maybe see it (or something similar) delivered with mobiles.

Don't know if you have got the new Samsung Windows Mobile SDK 1.0, but if don't you can download from here. Maybe it can be useful for this and many others applications in a future. Thanks for your efforts!

I got it, but it doesn't include any FM API (and I asked for it an the forum) ...

News about the project: I written the serial TMC mixer skeleton, and it's working on-line (no more logs) with DecoRDS and using GNS protocol, I still have to implements some commands to allow tuning and recognition from TT/iGo and debug the whole thing.

Guest mr fantastic
I would take a virtual pint of beer (red please B) )

Hi BeamRider, very good job, and of course one or two beers

Edited by mr fantastic

Guest hitec4ever

No, I don't think so (unless you live under the broadcast transmitter). Omnia uses a specific pin on its connector for the antenna (PIN 1 and 2 on the connector) and inside it there's not enough space (Omnia is a very dense piece of hardware) to resonate on correct frequecies. The Samsung connector pinout is availble on other thread.

Does someone know where to find spare connectors for Omnia? I have several cables but haven't found the connector (with all metallic pins). I plan to build my own omnia "hub" with antenna port (very useful if used on the car).

Try the Adapt Handsfree Carkit Samsung i900 i did by it as a handfree autokit, but it also works as a Radio Atenna so it shoult also work for the TMC part

Keep up the good work Beamrider

Guest BeamRider
Try the Adapt Handsfree Carkit Samsung i900 i did by it as a handfree autokit, but it also works as a Radio Atenna so it shoult also work for the TMC part

Keep up the good work Beamrider

I will take a look at, but still I would like to build my own because I'm also in the need of having charge/usb and antenna on the same time for developing purpose: every test means disconnecting the mobile from USB (and charging) connecting to antenna, test and then back to USB for getting logs ... I'm frying my battery B)

Yesterday I had some step ahead ... iGo is recognising the virtual device and I can manually tuning it to the TMC station (no auto ATM), I still have some issues with GNS protocol to face. Enjoy newest screeshots (taking screeenshots of iGO is a pain in the ... you know)

Cheers

post-436370-1237286381_thumb.jpg

post-436370-1237286386_thumb.jpg

Guest KingKoresh

Hi Beamrider,

I can't tell you how excited I am! Your teasing screenshots are like the silk nightie of Anna Kournikove slowly slipping off her.. er ok maybe I am a little too excited!

I will take a look at, but still I would like to build my own because I'm also in the need of having charge/usb and antenna on the same time for developing purpose: every test means disconnecting the mobile from USB (and charging) connecting to antenna, test and then back to USB for getting logs ... I'm frying my battery :(

Yesterday I had some step ahead ... iGo is recognising the virtual device and I can manually tuning it to the TMC station (no auto ATM), I still have some issues with GNS protocol to face. Enjoy newest screeshots (taking screeenshots of iGO is a pain in the ... you know)

Cheers

:(

Keep up the good work! If you need some BETA tester just say it! B)

Guest hitec4ever
I will take a look at, but still I would like to build my own because I'm also in the need of having charge/usb and antenna on the same time for developing purpose: every test means disconnecting the mobile from USB (and charging) connecting to antenna, test and then back to USB for getting logs ... I'm frying my battery :(

Cheers

Great job

Perhaps you can use the carkit togheter with a transformer from 12v to 220v

If you need a beta tester im willing B) to be a tester

Keep up the good work

Guest BeamRider
Great job

Perhaps you can use the carkit togheter with a transformer from 12v to 220v

If you need a beta tester im willing B) to be a tester

Keep up the good work

I already have 12V on my desk and I'm considering the kit for my car :( For development, today I bought a pair of cheap USB cables for Omnia, I'll open the connector (that's made of hard plastic) and move/reuse the pins for my needs.

Going back to the software, I count to "release" an alpha version of the TMC kit as soon as I sort out these GNS protocol issues (hope next week). Once opened I will ask a direct contact via PM then email but, before applying, consider that:

• the kit is made of three components: replacement for original FM radio driver, virtual COM port driver (GPS and RDS data mixer) and a tool to activate/dectivate the virtual driver;
  • the whole thing may be shut off just by changing a registry key;
  • the radio driver is signed with the MS SDK privileged certificate. You will have to install the certificate on your mobile (will work until end of the year), otherwise you'll need a fully unlocked kernel;
  • the driver should be used with J3 (tested by me) up to A5 (untested but original driver binary is the same);
  • the virtual COM driver still needs manual activation (with the given tool) once every soft reset;
  • virtual TMC serial is hardcoded to COM6 (using the Omnia GPS on COM8). These settings are changeable from registry ... but you'll have no GUI for now;
  • the whole thing is in alpha stage, make backups frequently (if the driver crashes on boot you need to hard reset the mobile and restore from the storage)!!!

I think that's nothing strange for an experienced user ... I leave you the choice to apply or not.

So ... stay "tuned" :(

I already have 12V on my desk and I'm considering the kit for my car B) For development, today I bought a pair of cheap USB cables for Omnia, I'll open the connector (that's made of hard plastic) and move/reuse the pins for my needs.

Going back to the software, I count to "release" an alpha version of the TMC kit as soon as I sort out these GNS protocol issues (hope next week). Once opened I will ask a direct contact via PM then email but, before applying, consider that:

• the kit is made of three components: replacement for original FM radio driver, virtual COM port driver (GPS and RDS data mixer) and a tool to activate/dectivate the virtual driver;
  • the whole thing may be shut off just by changing a registry key;
  • the radio driver is signed with the MS SDK privileged certificate. You will have to install the certificate on your mobile (will work until end of the year), otherwise you'll need a fully unlocked kernel;
  • the driver should be used with J3 (tested by me) up to A5 (untested but original driver binary is the same);
  • the virtual COM driver still needs manual activation (with the given tool) once every soft reset;
  • virtual TMC serial is hardcoded to COM6 (using the Omnia GPS on COM8). These settings are changeable from registry ... but you'll have no GUI for now;
  • the whole thing is in alpha stage, make backups frequently (if the driver crashes on boot you need to hard reset the mobile and restore from the storage)!!!

I think that's nothing strange for an experienced user ... I leave you the choice to apply or not.

So ... stay "tuned" :(

That's absolutely amazing and the consideration shouldn't be a showstopper for everyone who read AND understood this thread so far :(

Also others might put together the missing pieces like the config tools and so on.

I also offer help in testing and also coding if needed (10 years C++ and about 5 years C# experience).

Just drop me a message :(

BTW: Here is a nice link about decoding RDS that might help http://khason.net/blog/reading-and-decodin...ta-system-in-c/

Edited by gemx

Guest nicknova
I already have 12V on my desk and I'm considering the kit for my car B) For development, today I bought a pair of cheap USB cables for Omnia, I'll open the connector (that's made of hard plastic) and move/reuse the pins for my needs.

Would you be kind to upload the wiring scheme and the material needed to make the "home made" power/antenna plug? Perhaps, a little electronics dealer of my location could do it for me :(

I will also be interested to try you new alpha version, just is the best new I have received today :(

Força Italia :(

Guest cheoppy

Wow, wonderful news and great job!

I might be able to help you out testing it, but I have a question first: does this change to the driver makes it unusable as a traditional FM radio or it will work just as it works now?

Guest BeamRider
That's absolutely amazing and the consideration shouldn't be a showstopper for everyone who read AND understood this thread so far :(

Also others might put together the missing pieces like the config tools and so on.

I also offer help in testing and also coding if needed (10 years C++ and about 5 years C# experience).

Just drop me a message :D

BTW: Here is a nice link about decoding RDS that might help http://khason.net/blog/reading-and-decodin...ta-system-in-c/

Thanks you, any help will be very apreciated, I feel also the need of have a better tuner sw, maybe with full RDS capabilities B) and hopefully a complete rewritten driver code ... lucky I don't have to decode RDS on the driver, I just pass raw (or semi-raw) data to nav.

Regarding the programming: FM radio driver is made of C/ASM (ARM of course), virtual COM is C/C++, management tool is C++/MFC.

Would you be kind to upload the wiring scheme and the material needed to make the "home made" power/antenna plug? Perhaps, a little electronics dealer of my location could do it for me :(

Well I don't really have a wiring scheme but I can post you the connector pinout ... that's enough to build any hub, connector or whatever else you could have in mind :( :

1- FM_RADIO_ANT

2- GND

3- MIC_P

4- MIC_N

5- EAROUT_R

6- EAR_COM

7- EAROUT_L

8- BEND_END

9- nJACK_INT

10- EAR_CHECK

11- TXD_tvout

12- RXD (JTAG_RXD)

13- V_DC

14- V_DC

15- IF_CON_SENSE (JTAG_CON_SENSE)

16- USB +

17- USB -

18- USB_DC (JTAG_VBUS)

19,20 - Vext_5V

21-23 - GND

For the antenna just use pin 1 and 2, put any connector you like (but coax cable + car FM female connector is the best choice if you plan to use in car) or just plug in a FM antenna to the pins.

For charging the battery you have two opportunities: use wall plug method or USB. Remember that if you choose USB method you'll need an USB host (not just the two poer lines connected) on the other end, otherwise i900 will not charge and you'll drain the battery instead. The explanation is pretty simple: USB specifications involve a protocol to negotiate device (i900) power requirements. If this handshake is not performed, i900 doesn't charge from USB.

The bad news for me is that I can't hack the two cables I bought ... and then still looking for spare connectors. I wouldn't want to buy an expensive hub just to dismantle it :D

hint: try searching the web for the "sgh-i900 service manual" (you "may" have luck and find some useful info on it). Lokk also for the i780 that gives some more details on charging circuit.

Wow, wonderful news and great job!

I might be able to help you out testing it, but I have a question first: does this change to the driver makes it unusable as a traditional FM radio or it will work just as it works now?

Yes the driver works with the original tuner also, unless you try to perform both operation (FM listening and TMC) at the same time :(

Guest scoiattolo

BeamRider

I think I know the Country where you are B)

I'm sure you know that basically there are two providers, one free (RAI) and the second one Premium (InfoBlu, using RTL at 102.5).

The Premium data (the most comprehensive and reliable) are encoded (being subscription based) and you need to decode them before being usable by any navigation program...

Similar situation in other Countries like in France, Finland, Germany and Australia. UK have only a Premium service (no free ones)