The official Sony Ericsson Xperia X1 'Ask Paul' thread

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)
SEX1black.png
Finally, it's here... the first Windows Mobile device from Sony Ericsson, the Xperia X1!

As with all the hot latest devices, this is your opportunity to hit me up with any questions you have on the device!

As a recap, the X1 includes the following specs:

- Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional
- Unique 'Panels' UI
- 3" WVGA (800x480) screen
- Quad Band GSM
- Tri Band HSDPA/HSUPA
- 512MB ROM / 256MB RAM
- WiFi
- GPS
- Optical joystick AND dpad
- Arc slider keyboard
- 3.2MP Camera
- 110 x 53 x 16.7 mm
- 145g

The device is currently priced at an eye-watering £584.99 at eXpansys (however, as always, varies in price a lot online at this pre-launch stage... e.g. Handtec is listing at £499.99), but is expected on a number of UK networks too.

I'll be back with my thoughts as I start using the device... this is the BLACK (as opposed to silver) model, obviously... ;)

Finally, we have a new X1 dedicated discussion area at http://X1.MoDaCo.com! :wacko:

P

Guest Paul (MVP)

Hehehe! I'm not a really huge fan of the TP (bit 'chubby' and out of proportion IMHO), but it'll be an interesting comparison as I now have both (plus a Diamond and an Omnia, the other two cutting edge options I guess?)

Things I like more on the SEX1:

- Design

- Bigger screen

- 3.5mm jack

Things I like more on the Touch Pro:

- Better keyboard

Will update this as I use the device more... :-)

P

Guest RayBanUK

Really looking forward to getting my hands on one of these. I had a MDA Vario 3 before it was stolen, got a brand new HTC TyTN 2 as a replacement but I just want to sell it brand new as I want to move onto something newer.

Did look at the Touch Pro but not a fan of its fat-ness and also dont like the fact you cant put it down flat. More than anything, I HATE having to use the miniUSB as a headphone socket too (my Vario 3 port went), hence I refuse to buy another handset unless it has 3.5mm jack on it.

So far my choices are iPhone 3G (but I dont want to be sheep and theres a lot I DONT like about it), the Xperia X1 and the forthcoming Touch HD. I love having a proper keyboard though hence the Xperia X1 is still my top choice.

Paul, I heard some problems with screen switching lag, can you confirm its better now? Also notice, they got a Walkman-esqe Media player on it, is it any good? Lastly is it really HEAVY?

Guest Paul (MVP)

Bad news, the X1 rocks *very slightly*... ;)

Screen switching on this one is absolutely fine. I've not tried the media player yet (will report back) and it doesn't feel heavy at all, no heavier than my Omnia in the hand in fact?

Actually, here's some weight stats (courtesy of pdadb.net):

X1: 145g

Touch Pro: 165g

Omnia: 122g

Diamond: 110g

iPhone 3G: 133g

Guest RayBanUK

Thanks Paul. I went to CPW yesterday and they have all the adverts saying it was on sale (with price plans) and was trying to buy one on o2 but its not actually in stock yet grrrr!

Im loving the fact that the res is 800x480 which is a massive improvement from 320x240 but I guess it still has the direct sunlight problem(?)

From reading around, it seems aside from the Panels, the rest of the phone is very much base Windows Mo 6.1 so Im hoping it be possible to put at least the HTC Home plugin in and a few other bits. Not too bothered of TouchFlo.

Guest fuzzmo

Hi Paul,

Am sure you know of me (bitching about Orange in the Omnia forums!) - so I guess I have a straightforward question - how does it compare to the Omnia? Of particular interest to me is the screen size - is the Omnia's screen size that much bigger? Initial specs of the X1 said a 3 inch screen but you state above that the screen size is 3.2 inches - which is the same as the Omnia?

If you do have a chance can you tell me the video playing abilities of this set - in particular watching divx/mp4. I am pretty certain that the main functionalities (email, PIM, etc.) will be fine on the X1.

Many Thanks!

Guest Paul (MVP)
Thanks Paul. I went to CPW yesterday and they have all the adverts saying it was on sale (with price plans) and was trying to buy one on o2 but its not actually in stock yet grrrr!

Im loving the fact that the res is 800x480 which is a massive improvement from 320x240 but I guess it still has the direct sunlight problem(?)

From reading around, it seems aside from the Panels, the rest of the phone is very much base Windows Mo 6.1 so Im hoping it be possible to put at least the HTC Home plugin in and a few other bits. Not too bothered of TouchFlo.

Yeah, still poor in sunlight. Aside from panels, feels like a HTC device without the home screen! Kinetic scrolling, task manager etc. etc. Figures, since it's made by HTC ;)

P

Guest Paul (MVP)
guess ill ask the next obvious one, what is the keyboard like on this build?

It's 'OK', not as good as the Kaiser or Touch Pro IMHO, but probably fine once you get used to it.

P

Guest Paul (MVP)
Hi Paul,

Am sure you know of me (bitching about Orange in the Omnia forums!) - so I guess I have a straightforward question - how does it compare to the Omnia? Of particular interest to me is the screen size - is the Omnia's screen size that much bigger? Initial specs of the X1 said a 3 inch screen but you state above that the screen size is 3.2 inches - which is the same as the Omnia?

If you do have a chance can you tell me the video playing abilities of this set - in particular watching divx/mp4. I am pretty certain that the main functionalities (email, PIM, etc.) will be fine on the X1.

Many Thanks!

The Omnia screen is a bit bigger, but not much, it is actually a 3" screen on the X1. I haven't tried video yet, but will do ;)

P

Guest KaiDream

I currently own an Athena (HTC Advantage 7501) and been though a mess of roms to keep up with the windows mobile 6 release and such. I've been looking at the HTC Touch HD, Omnia and X1 as the replacement for my powerful "brick". Granted I'm in the USA and who knows when these devices will ever come our way (and if for some devices) but until then I can dream and research. Forgive me if I ask too many questions ;).

Question 1:

On the Athena GPS startup times have always been an issue along with power consumption. How would you compare GPS power, performance and consumption across these devices.

Question 2:

Both the X1 and Omnia have very slick interfaces but we all know they are just covers for the underlying WinMo 6 OS. How would you compare the graphical and device performance when switching from the main graphical interface to the core programs such as Media Player, Internet Explorer, Opera, etc?

Question 3:

I hate to admit it but the iPhone has a great visual display and with my Athena being out doors and especially direct sunlight would just hinder my user experience completely. How would you compare the displays for multi enviroment view from indoors to outdoors?

Question 4:

I've seen multiple articles of the camera picture quality from all these phones and no question about it they are all beautiful. The one issue I do have is when taking a picture you want a quick response when starting, viewing, taking the picture and when saving (especially when saving to the SD card). How would you rate the performance features of the camera software aside from the actual picture quality?

Thanks for taking the time and sharing with us your experiences!

Ray

Edited by KaiDream

Guest FutureDirt

My question...

will you be using this X1 or your Omnia as your main device/phone?

I think the lack of accelerometer on the x1 is now an issue because gremote is so good!

At this point in time i think the only device that will tempt me away from the omnia is the Touch HD but what say you!?!? ;)

Guest Paul (MVP)
My question...

will you be using this X1 or your Omnia as your main device/phone?

I think the lack of accelerometer on the x1 is now an issue because gremote is so good!

At this point in time i think the only device that will tempt me away from the omnia is the Touch HD but what say you!?!? ;)

I will be using this, at least for now... I definitely have a soft spot for the Omnia tho, so we'll see what happens! The Touch HD, now, that is another very interesting device... the thought of that huge screen appeals, particularly with seeing how great Opera, Remote Desktop, LogMeIn etc. look in 800x480 on the X1... :wacko:

P

Guest fuzzmo

I would consider the Touch HD but I find the iPhone to be just too big to be a pocketable device and the SEX1 is just about there (as is the Omnia!) Of course it would be interesting to see which one you'll stick with after a few days use... BTW - am sure many have asked this before but, how do we get your job? LOL!

Guest fwabbly

Do you know why it doesnt have an accelerometer? Im very interested in the phone as it is close to perfect for what i want in a phone but im disappointed about the lack of an accelerometer. Its a shame it wont be able to have the tilting game that is on the diamond

Guest Paul (MVP)

This is a C&J version apparently (customer & journalist), which is as final as it gets until a proper retail boxed version arrives (soon)...

P

Guest fuzzmo

Saw Youtube video done by Xperiencers who also had the C&J version. Seemed reasonably snappy so I have no worries about it if it indeed has 'only' 256 MB RAM. Actually there is speculation that it does have 384MB but 128MB is reserved for the graphics chip (ATi) - which would be pretty awesome.

Is there going to be a mini video review?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.