Quick GPS fix without XTRA enabled

Guest robertut

Guest RoyalDrew

Quick GPS fixes are nice, but what about instant?

Check my Topic here

I am needing some coders to verify that the app is open source and available to distribute.

Guest jh787
If you turn off XTRA, you'll notice that it may require even more than 15-30 minutes to get a fix. Turning on XTRA will shorten this to almost instant fixes...

Many people prefer to disable Enhanced GPS Settings, XTRA data download. This is because 3G/GPRS data connections can cost a lot, especially if you are abroad and roaming.

It seems like Samsung has left some settings turned on in the registy, for debugging purposes, and this makes really slow to get a fix without XTRA data. According to Microsoft's documentation (see GPS Intermediate Driver General Registry Settings) some features like logging can be enabled for debugging, in GPS Intermediate Driver's registry settings, which stays between the hardware and your navigation software.

My experience shows that the following steps seem to improve the time to get a GPS fix, without need to download XTRA data:

1. Go to Settings > System > Enhanced GPS and set both settings to "Disable"

2. Go to your device's registry, and see the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver

3. Change the following string values to nothing (don't delete them, just edit them and clear the value):

CurrentLogFile (originally \GPSID_log.txt)

OldLogFile (originally \GPSID_log.bak)

4. Soft-reset your device

5. With File Explorer, go to My Device, and delete the two GPSID_log files you see, and the file named xtra. If you don't soft-reset, you will not be able to delete some of them.

6. Check again the registry setting. Sometimes in rare cases it may revert the settings back - but that's a general WM problem.

After this, if you start your navigation software under clear sky, you can get a fix in a coulpe of minutes, without the use of XTRA, or any other data source, than pure native GPS satellites.

To digg in the registry there are many free and shareware tools available, I can recommend Total Commander CE, which has a registry plugin.

Also noticed (but this may be really subjective) that flipping the device with the back upwards, while waiting for GPS fix, improves reception a bit - it seems like the internal receiver antenna is oriented to the back of the device... but if anyohe has dissassembled the Omnia can confirm or infirm this.

Omnia2 "( 2 ) TomTom gps settings for internal receiver.

Hi

This is my first post on this site so i apologize in advance for any mistakes.

After trying numerous methods and settings from good people like yourselves, and then spending about two weeks playing with various configurations of my own I have really found some excellent settings for the Samsung Omnia2 i8000.

Most of the info is from previous posts and some settings are tweaks of my own.

I do not know what original settings were so please save your original settings should you wish to go back.

I had trouble getting any satellites after 5mins+ of holding my omnia up to the window, I am currently looking at 3-4 blue bars dancing about on my desk on the opposite side of the room.

post-662543-1267458030_thumb.jpg

post-662543-1267458246_thumb.jpg

The gps receiver is on hardware com 9 and software port com4 at a baud rate of 4800.

In tomtom i have the gps settings to internal receiver.

I hope this helps and thank you everybody for all the help you have given me.

post-662543-1267458309_thumb.jpg

Edited by jh787

• 5 weeks later...
Guest jh787

Have you tried typing in *#1472365# into their Omnia2?

It brings up some extra gps settings, some of which are similar to settings that can be reached in registry but some are unique.

The main one that was of interest to me was the start up mode of GPS.

Mine was set to cold start which meant that every time i started my tomtom it did so by deleting all previous data.

This meant i was on a cold start each and every time i used it which was why it took forever to lock sometimes.

I have now changed this setting to "hotstart" and my locks are instant.

Please see post 95 in the following thread for my registry settings which give me a very fast fix with excellent accuracy.

http://www.modaco.com/content-page/275659/...0/#entry1238381

Edited by jh787

• 5 months later...
Guest AMRSOFT

So much thankful for your subject , i was a bout to throw my Samsung Omnia i900 , but you saved it and me

i made all the steps you mentioned and it works 100% , really thank you

wish you all good

by the way i did register here specially to thank you , because you deserved it

thanks once more

Guest andrew.mazlim
So much thankful for your subject , i was a bout to throw my Samsung Omnia i900 , but you saved it and me

i made all the steps you mentioned and it works 100% , really thank you

wish you all good

by the way i did register here specially to thank you , because you deserved it

thanks once more

+1!... THAT, I call it "credits"! Well done, bro. We need to give credits...

• 1 year later...