When Wifi is connected , ActiveSync uses Wifi others use GPRS

Guest levanter

Guest levanter

Hi

When my Wifi is connected, I can use ActiveSync and surf web pages no problem, but if I open Pocket Outlook and sync my hotmail the GPRS connects, it doesnt use the WiFi connection that is already connected, any ideas?

Thanks

Edited by levanter

Guest awarner (MVP)

Activesync can not be used over Wifi, Microsoft removed that feature many years ago as they saw it as a security risk.

You can only connect to Activesunc and Outlook etc with Bluetooth, IR or USB, so I presume that is how you are actually connecting your device at the moment? Apart from that the only other way to recieve your emails is by using GPRS.

Guest levanter
Activesync can not be used over Wifi, Microsoft removed that feature many years ago as they saw it as a security risk.

You can only connect to Activesunc and Outlook etc with Bluetooth, IR or USB, so I presume that is how you are actually connecting your device at the moment? Apart from that the only other way to recieve your emails is by using GPRS.

Thanks for reply, although it may/maynot be supported I have been using ActiveSync for many years (on many WM devices) and always sync over WiFi to Exchange on all devices without issue. This issue has only appear on this latest piece of hardware which is second hand. The phone is expected to use Wifi connection first over GPRS.....

....but saying all that, that isnt the issue here, its hotmail thats using GPRS instead of WiFi.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest awarner (MVP)

WiFi over Activesync is definitely not supported as standard but you can sync with an Exchange Server over WiFi but that is the only option.

You did not mention Exchange in your first post so I presumed (and it turned out I was correct) that you were trying to use Activesync over WiFi with a normal PC Activesync account.

Hotmail etc can only use GPRS if it is not connected to a PC via USB.