Epix Bug/Issues list

Guest mskovrinskie

Guest mskovrinskie

After a week of use, I'm really liking the form factor of the Epix. I have found a few issues that are troubling and wanted to list them out for others and see if there are any I am missing. Some of these have already been mentioned here in other threads.

Bugs:

1) Outlook Notes do not sync to device Notes - You can configure ActiveSync 4.5 for Windows Mobile Device Center (Vista) to optionally sync Notes. Though there are no errors during synchronization, no notes sync to or from the device.

2) No email notification in standby - if you configure a sound alert (not on by default) for new Email (either Exchange/POP/IMAP/Hotmail), no alert fires if the device is in standby. It does work if the device is on. SMS and reminders work fine. Strangely, LED flashing does work as a new email notification in standby.

3) Long hold END key to lock does not work if PIN security enabled - if you have an unlock PIN configured (required by many companies for Exchange sync), holding down the END key to lock the device flickers the screen off and back on, but does not lock. The only workaround is to use the today Device Lock option, map a key to lock (with something like AE Buttons Plus), or have a shortcut on the today screen with something like SPB Mobile Shell or Pocket Plus.

Issues:

1) Battery indicator only works in 10% increments. If you use a battery monitoring program like the battery bar of SPB Pocket Plus or SPB Mobile shell, the battery increments only go in 10% degrees. Even the built-in power program does this, so I think it is a problem with how the device driver reports power and now a fault of SPB.

2) Battery life is less than I would expect. I am primarily a data user and sync mail as it arrives. This appears to have a much bigger effect than what I saw on the BlackJack II. The Epix has an 1800 mAh battery, bigger than the BJII, so I would expect it to last longer than it does.

This is my list.

WM 6.1 Pro Notes is not working.

Email audio notifications are broke.

When you set the LED to blink forever (no limit) when you recieve a txt message or an email it only blinks for 10 seconds.

There is an issue when you press the messaging button. It does not take you to the top of your email list.

The LCD time out is not working. If you set it for 5 seconds it will dim after 5 seconds but stay on for 60 seconds.

The device powers up every time you go from EDGE to 3G. The LED will stay on for 60 seconds when this happens.

There is a new setting that turns the LCD off after 5 seconds when you make a phone call. This is broke also. It puts the phone in standby so you can not push any buttons until you turn the phone back on. When checking voice mail this is a real pain.

I am sure there are many more bugs.

I am shocked that I can find all these after owning the phone for 48 hours. Its hard to belive no one from Samsung or ATT found these before releaseing the phone.

SeanH

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. Thank god for this forum...Im not gonna buy until/if they fix most of the issues. I would return the epix and buy it at a later date so things can get worked out.

Guest RonRosenberg

Well, I've had mine for a week. The form factor and size make up for some of the shortcomings/bugs. The Epix is really much easier to carry and use than my Tilt. The trackpad option to the stylus make one-handed operation, such as in the car (I know ...) realistic and practical.

After fiddling with TomTom unsuccessully for a feww days, I decided, on a whim, to throw in the Garmin XT card from my Nokia E71. Lo and behold, it worked with no fiddling. That card is obviously designed for cross-platform use.

The battery life seems fine, and while I've been re-booting every other day out of force of habit, I've had no crashes or freezes.

One annoying "missing" is the HTC program that comes with their WM 6+ phones that gives the functionality of really closing programs with the "OK" button. The Epix somewhat makes up for this with more memory, but annoying none-the-less.

It seems to hold the bluetooth connection very well (which the Tilt would not do until the 6.1 upgrade) and reception is on par with the Tilt.

The volume was unacceptable low until I found the fix for that on this forum.

While I'm watching the clock for the 30 day return on AT&T, its looking more like a keeper each day.

Ron

Well, I've had mine for a week. The form factor and size make up for some of the shortcomings/bugs. The Epix is really much easier to carry and use than my Tilt. The trackpad option to the stylus make one-handed operation, such as in the car (I know ...) realistic and practical.

After fiddling with TomTom unsuccessully for a feww days, I decided, on a whim, to throw in the Garmin XT card from my Nokia E71. Lo and behold, it worked with no fiddling. That card is obviously designed for cross-platform use.

The battery life seems fine, and while I've been re-booting every other day out of force of habit, I've had no crashes or freezes.

One annoying "missing" is the HTC program that comes with their WM 6+ phones that gives the functionality of really closing programs with the "OK" button. The Epix somewhat makes up for this with more memory, but annoying none-the-less.

It seems to hold the bluetooth connection very well (which the Tilt would not do until the 6.1 upgrade) and reception is on par with the Tilt.

The volume was unacceptable low until I found the fix for that on this forum.

While I'm watching the clock for the 30 day return on AT&T, its looking more like a keeper each day.

Ron

search google for the HTC X-Button version 1.50. i've installed on my Epix and set X-button to close apps when i click the "X". i'd like to have it appear on my Today screen, but it doesn't. it does what i want, and that is to close apps when i click "X".

• 3 weeks later...

a re-occuring problem with a lot of i780 users is the msn trying to connect to wap / gprs when there is already a wifi connection.

anyone who can help me with a solution here?

a re-occuring problem with a lot of i780 users is the msn trying to connect to wap / gprs when there is already a wifi connection.

anyone who can help me with a solution here?

This is a known bug with i780. You need to upgrade your ROM. Try a HH or a newer HI.

As for the other bugs listed here for i780, they have never happened on my device. Notes bug? Doesn't happen. Email not making sound in standby? Doesn't happen. Battery not lasting long? Definitely doesn't happen?

I thought the Epix was a renamed i780 though I'm having doubts after reading these bugs. The i780 I got (an asian version) has very good battery life that can last up to a week with moderate use. Though, it came with two 1480maH batteries instead of the Epix's 1800maH battery. Not sure what's going on there.

The ROM is pretty solid right now, though earlier ROMs had this MSN bug deenn mentioned as well as a bad wifi connection bug. Both fixed now.

So really there is probably 0 known bugs right now.

Edit: Note my battery life improved a lot (like from 4-5 days to 6-7 days) after upgrading to the official Windows Mobile 6.1 ROM (yes there is one) -- though a cooked version of it.

Edited by xSacha

• 4 weeks later...

samsung has issued an Epix-patch (on their website) that enables email (sound) notifications when the device is in stand-by mode. my tests suggests it DOES NOT address the short duration (vs. say 5 minute) flashing LED issue. i guess this is better than nothing, but i was hoping to see more fixes.