• Announcements

• Reminder - MoDaCo position on illegal content   07/30/15

ILLEGAL CONTENT I'd like to just reaffirm MoDaCo's position regarding piracy and illegal content in the light of some recent questions / postings. Posts will be censored by myself or my moderation team if the contain or link to: Illegal / pirated / cracked software or sites that host such softwareNintendo emulators / ROMs or sites hosting them (in light of Nintendo's legal stance)CUSTOM ROMS You may discuss and post links to custom device ROMs on MoDaCo, provided the following rules are adhered to: ROMs must not contain any illegal 3rd party software (this includes trial versions included without permission)ROMs must give full credit to the original authorISSUES If you have any issues with this policy, please contact PaulOBrien directly via PM.
    • Reminder: Selling items on the forum directly is not allowed   07/30/15

Please note that selling items on the forum directly is not allowed by the forum rules. There is a forum for eBay auctions whereby you can list the items on eBay and link to them there. This is the ONLY forum for this type of activity. You may also advertise links to the eBay forum in your signature. Please note that selling directly in contravention of these rules will result in a warning / suspension / ban.

GPS

6 posts in this topic

Posted

WHATS THE DIFFERENCE between QuickGPS and Googlemaps??

Do they both cost to run??? any help appreciated, im anewbie in this

Posted

WHATS THE DIFFERENCE between QuickGPS and Googlemaps??

Do they both cost to run??? any help appreciated, im anewbie in this

QuickGPS is simply a small application that preloads the GPS Location cache with data relevant to your location, so it obtains a satellite fix faster (in theory, though I find it makes little difference!); this uses a minimal amount of data once every 5 days. It has no user interface as regards your actual location.

Google Maps is a mapping and navigation program that takes the data from the GPS receiver and translates it into the visible user interface. It uses a relatively large amount of data because each screen has to be downloaded. A small amount is cached, but for even a short trip, you would need a pretty good data plan to ensure you didn't get charged silly money for data usage. My estimate is that a 2 mile square takes about 200KB of data, but that is only a very rough figure, and there is quite an overlap between screens.

Posted

so after downloading tomtom 7 il be able to use this with my free map with no charge?

Posted

so after downloading tomtom 7 il be able to use this with my free map with no charge?

Yes, but only with your one free map.

Also, be warned, that if you've simply downloaded TomTom 7 from the internet rather than received it as an OEM bundle (which seems to have only been available in Germany), don't contact TomTom for any kind of support or even to upgrade existing maps, becasue they class this kind of install as illegal!

I know, because I've already done this and whilst they weren't exactly threatening legal action, they gave me rather short thrift

Posted

yes i heard this before and thanks. i havent used GPS yet and i downloaded london map as im going there in couple weeks and thot it could be useful.

is it jus a matter of going into tomtom or do i need to go to QuickGPS first to download?

Posted

is it jus a matter of going into tomtom or do i need to go to QuickGPS first to download?

QuickGPS and tomtom are not in any way related in the way you think.

QuickGPS is simply an application that will allow your position to be found more quickly - whether using google-maps, tomtom, memory-map or any other app that uses GPS.

In fact you can completely go without QuickGPS - it will just mean that your position will be found in say 60 seconds instead of 30.