Best software to compress video files and dvd's?

Guest wingnutLP

Guest wingnutLP

Hi, I have tried a search and also tried virtual dub which was a bit complex!

I seem to remember that years ago there was a nice simple program for converting video into PPC resolution that worked with most video files... But I can't remember what it was called! :lol:

Does anyone have suggestions for good software that is easy to use adnd supports a range of formats?

Thanks!

Alex

Guest psionandy

I seem to remember that years ago there was a nice simple program for converting video into PPC resolution that worked with most video files... But I can't remember what it was called! :lol:

Does anyone have suggestions for good software that is easy to use adnd supports a range of formats?

Thanks!

Alex

Fairuse LE if you want to do it for free... spb mobile dvd if you don't mind paying for an easier interface

Guest wingnutLP

Thanks all,

DVD s seem fine with Handbrake http://handbrake.fr/?article=download

Or with spb mobile dvd.

But Spb only gives a green screen when you try with a wmv.

Fair use wizard is DVD only and so is Handbrake...

Can anyone suggest a program for converting WMV's to wmv's of a smaller size or other video files?

Edited by wingnutLP

• 3 weeks later...

I seem to remember that years ago there was a nice simple program for converting video into PPC resolution that worked with most video files... But I can't remember what it was called! B)

Thanks!

Alex

I use WisMencoder. It's very easy.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest Mayo_MB

For which device u r looking?

If your device support H.264 then mediacoder is best and its free (google it). I have attached here the preset for my Touch Diamond. you can load and use it dierectly to convert you videos.

At 300kbps H.264 video and 48kbps AAC+ audio, I get the best result. I can compress a full 2 hour movie into around 250~300mb

Just change the resolution in 'Picture' tab as per your device's screen.

Hope this will help.

Diamond_Mediacoder_Preset.xml

• 1 month later...