Transfer number to another T-Mobile Account

Guest skimber

Guest skimber

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to buy a new phone from Expansys on a T-mobile contract, but I already have a T-mobile account and would like to stay with them.

I've rung T-mo customer service and been told that they will not transfer a number to another account and will only transfer to another network. Strange way to try and retain a customer if you ask me!

Can anyone tell me if this is the case or did I get somebody who doesn't know what they are talking about?

Alternatively, has anyone here done anything like this before and is able to advise me on the hoops that need to be jumped through?

Cheers

Simon

Guest awarner (MVP)

That's about the only way, but it will cost you for porting and take a few weeks to post out and back again.

From memory porting takes up to 10 days for each request.

Guest skimber

thanks for the responses...

Are the PAYG plans ok with you immediately porting a number out as soon as it arrives? Or do they make you stay for at least a month or so?

Would you recommend any network in particular for being efficient at getting it done? I guess that's a "who's got the best customer service?" kind of question!

Guest Mysterious Stranger
That's about the only way, but it will cost you for porting and take a few weeks to post out and back again.

From memory porting takes up to 10 days for each request.

They shouldn't charge you! It's in their interests to get you as a customer! Ask them first if they do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porting_Authorisation_Code

For more info.

Used to take 30 days for a port to be processed, from experience it now takes about 3 and the changover happens on a specified day with an hour.

M.S

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Gorskar

Last time I wanted a new contract with t-mob I ported the number to Virgin Mob PAYG and then back to the new t-mob contract

All worked fine, and took a few days for each port. - only cost was the cost of the virgin sim card (about £5 I think)

Last time I wanted a new contract with t-mob I ported the number to Virgin Mob PAYG and then back to the new t-mob contract

All worked fine, and took a few days for each port. - only cost was the cost of the virgin sim card (about £5 I think)

Not sure if T-Mob are the same as Orange but at the end of my contract I ask Orange to transfer my number to PAYG this is done free with a replacement sim. When I have had the Payg a few days I take out my new contract with Orange and then transfer my number back to the new contract. Done this the last three years no problems.

Edited by kjt57