It's quiet in here

Guest Networkguy

Guest Networkguy

So it's here. After a false start with 3 faulty HTC Touch Pros, the replacement for my HTC S710 has arrived in the shape of a HTC S740.

I have now had a couple of hours to set the thing up and have a good play so first impressions:

It's very shinny. Unlike some of the pre release versions in the reviews the phone is shinny like the Touch Pro and as such is already covered in fingerprints. I think it would have looked better in a matt finish but this is the HTC style so that's what you get.

The SD card slot (which is under the SIM card) is a real pain to get to. If you are forever taking the SD card out of the phone then you are going to hate this.

In the hand it feels really nice. I was worried that it would feel as long as the pictures implied but it is actually not that bad and it is quite slender.

Speed wise it ticks along and everything is as it should be. No silly delays and you still get the occasional pin wheel it is better than the S710 it replaces and is much more responsive than the Touch Pro. When I load up Windows Live Search or Google Maps, it is all nice and smooth. I am trying to decide which home screen layout I like the best (HTC vs Windows Sliding panels) but I think I will have a play with that tonight.

So I now have the device setup with push mail from my corporate mail server running over 3G, the phone showing as an entry in my Microsoft Live Mesh and a wifi connection running as I am at home today as well as having the iPass client installed for when I am on the move. It synced fine and first time with my BMW bluetooth kit and BT headset and is now good to go.

Remember that to me this is a business tool so over the next few days it will have to work for a living so I shall follow up with a review on battery life in the real world etc then but up to now the battery is holding very strong.

BTW

If you are looking at getting the G300 cradle, hang on. There seems to be a shortage of the inserts and they are not yet being included in the box by HTC. Those nice guys over at Devicewire are working on it as we speak to find out when HTC will actually sort this.

So first impressions. Very very nice indeed. It does look a little sombre compared with some other devices out there but as a true workhorse, this is looking good. The S730 never really appealed as an upgrade to the S710 as it did not offer that much more. This on the other hand is a true upgrade.

Edited by Networkguy

Guest Networkguy
How's the QWERTY?

P

Its different to the S710 and does not have the same "click" but compared to the TP is is identical.

It is however nice now to be able to get to keys such as @ and / without having to use a shift key plus I do actually have a "£" sign on the keyboard now. I do keep going for the right hand soft key where it used to be (it is now much further to the right) but it's just a case of getting used to it however I have not found I am having to stretch even though the keyboard is wider.

Give me a few days in the wild and I will have a better view.

Guest mstephenson

I had one of these delivered today too, very impressed so far B) (Thanks for the Devicewire free delivery code Paul!)

Excellent summary from networkguy, very much along the same lines of what i'd have said (only better put!).

I've also upgraded from the S710 and the difference is amazing. Not sure what I can add at this stage that networkguy didn't cover but if anyone wants me to check anything out i'll do my best

Thanks for the info dude!

Looks like this might be my next device, waiting till expansys get it though as it £50 for delivery to Ireland at devicewire!

Shame the keys are shiney, I thought the matte keys looked great!

Really look fwd to hearing how the battery holds out.

gerryR

Guest Networkguy
Really look fwd to hearing how the battery holds out.

gerryR

Looking good so far.

Now remember that a battery will not perform too it's best until it has been fully charged and discharged a few times.

BUT

The phone was fully charged at 11 this morning and has since been running 3G push mail, made several phone calls and has been connected via wifi for the entire time. I have been playing with it all day and all this evening.

Now with my S710, with WiFi switched on the phone would have lasted 2 or 3 hours tops.

So we have now been going 12 hours with EVERYTHING switched on and lots and lots of use and the battery level is still at 45%!!! Add to this that even after a long voice call, the phone is cold to the touch which is unlike any phone I have had before.

Monday will be the true test for me when I have a full business day, leaving for the 6am train into London, all day in meetings taking notes, a few conference calls and a load of HSPDA internet browsing on the train as well as a bit of GPS thrown in for good measure. When I did a day like this with the Touch Pro, it was screaming for a charge by the time I got home in the evening. Lets see how this one copes.

On a side note about batteries however, I upgraded my S710 to WM6.1 a couple of weeks ago and the battery life on that almost doubled!!! I get a feeling there is some really poor power management code on the S710 default software but nobody had ever noticed (until now).

Edited by Networkguy

Guest Networkguy
Forgot to ask, is there a screen protector included in the box?

No but then as a non touch screen device, it's not really an issue. I never had one on my S710 and it was never an issue.

No but then as a non touch screen device, it's not really an issue. I never had one on my S710 and it was never an issue.

I got a scratch on my Tornado screen once, since then I put them on any device.

Just wonder will it be difficult to get one give the screen is flush with the rest of the device?

Guest Networkguy

Just wonder will it be difficult to get one give the screen is flush with the rest of the device?

Well the phone out of the box did have a clear cover over it (like all new phones) to protect in in transit but was covered in writing telling me not to leave the phone in my pants (I really hope this is for the Americans) so you can't just leave it on. I think any cover though would snag and pull off though.

And be aware that regardless of what the retailers are saying, this phone does not come with a case.

Guest mstephenson

There's a couple listings on e-bay for screen covers. I'm definitely looking to get one so once i've decided and ordered, i'll let you know how I get on. Was planning to leave the one that came attached to the phone on for a few days but as networkguy said, it's covered in writing so that wasn't an option sadly

Guest Networkguy
The UK one came with a case, and nothing about pants. B)

Check out my unboxing for more...

P

But yours was a white box one not retail B) hence you got the sock

As you can see in the manual:

INTHEBOX.jpg

No sock for the retail version <_<

PS

the battery is still going after 23 hours with everything on (although we are down to 8% now and the phone is screaming)

Edited by Networkguy

Guest solarin

Received a S740 Wednesday from DeviceWire- ordered to replace a S710. A couple of initial thoughts, I don't know if anyone migrating from a S710 has noticed the same, or if it is just me?

1) When you hold down a key on the qwerty keyboard doesn't insert the corrisponding number/symbol, like the S710 did, it just repeats the character you are holding down.

2) The screen appears to have yellowish tint - could it just be my device, or is it just how things are now? I think there was some issue with yellow tints on the iPhone (or something similar) because people preferred the warmer look?

Otherwise, it is a fantastic replacement - much faster overall, making it seem far more usable. Battery life seems ok so far - although I don't use WIFI or Bluetooth, just Exchange push email. The built in GPS seems to work well, locking on pretty quickly even inside a moving train (used the QuickGPS app first).

Guest Networkguy
Received a S740 Wednesday from DeviceWire- ordered to replace a S710. A couple of initial thoughts, I don't know if anyone migrating from a S710 has noticed the same, or if it is just me?

1) When you hold down a key on the qwerty keyboard doesn't insert the corrisponding number/symbol, like the S710 did, it just repeats the character you are holding down.

I never knew the S710 could do that :-(

2) The screen appears to have yellowish tint - could it just be my device, or is it just how things are now? I think there was some issue with yellow tints on the iPhone (or something similar) because people preferred the warmer look?

Mine is a proper white. Certainly no yellow cast to it.

Guest mstephenson

Can't say i've noticed this yellowish tint on mine either, display seems absolutely flawless so you might want to look into an exchange maybe?

Guest damonb10

The only thing that turns me off from getting this phone is that it is covered in that horrible "shiny" plastic. I don't know why all these phone manufacturers are changing from matte and soft-touch plastics to shiny casings. Sure, they may look like they are more premium, but one touch and you have fingerprints everywhere... B)

Guest mstephenson
The only thing that turns me off from getting this phone is that it is covered in that horrible "shiny" plastic. I don't know why all these phone manufacturers are changing from matte and soft-touch plastics to shiny casings. Sure, they may look like they are more premium, but one touch and you have fingerprints everywhere... B)

I can see your point, i'd certainly prefer the matte finish that was seen in some of the early photographs. However that, and the inconveniently placed micro-sd card slot are the only 2 (very minor) complaints I have with this phone. In every other way i've found it to be outstanding so far. All the really important stuff like the hardware etc are great. So unless the fingerprint issue really is a big problem for you i'd say buy one and you won't be disappointed.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest hotlips69

Something was mentioned near the beginning of this thread about a charging cradle?

I presume you are referring to a desktop charger that the phone can sit in and charge?

I've been looking for something that does that for my S730 for almost a year now without success!!!

P.S. Is the charging point on the bottom of the phone in exactly the same place as the S730 (so that any desktop charger can be used for either phone) ?

Edited by hotlips69

Guest Networkguy
Something was mentioned near the beginning of this thread about a charging cradle?

I presume you are referring to a desktop charger that the phone can sit in and charge?

I've been looking for something that does that for my S730 for almost a year now without success!!!

P.S. Is the charging point on the bottom of the phone in exactly the same place as the S730 (so that any desktop charger can be used for either phone) ?

The chargiong point on the bottom of the phone is a standard ext USB thing so any charger will work however if you want a cradle then you need a specific one.

I have gone for the HTC G300 which looks great