Flashing ROM - "Incorrect software version!" tutorial

Guest mik3y

After hours of searching trough the internet i managed to figure out how to flash any ROM from Samsung official website http://www.samsungmobile.com/support/omnia/index.jsp

One week ago i flashed my Omnia to DXHJ1 (main benefit is the battery lifetime - 4 days using only phone vs. 2 days on XXHI1), yesterday i found the new ROM for UK MSHJ1 and i was curious about the changes so I've decided to try it.

How to solve "Incorrect software version!"

First check ROM version, you'll need it later (To find your Omnia version, please click Start arrow_ver.gifSettings arrow_ver.gifSystem tab arrow_ver.gif Your version of Omnia menu. )

My first ROM was: PDA : i900XXHI1/XFHI1 - PHONE i900XXHH9

Second: PDA : i900DXHJ1/DXHJ1 - PHONE i900DXHJ1

Third: PDA : i900XXHJ4/MSHJ1 - PHONE i900XXHI5

What i did to change it from DXHJ1/DXHJ1 to XXHJ4/MSHJ1:

1. Change the phone to UK (thanks to Paul's post - http://www.modaco.com/content/i900-omnia-r...re-version-fix/ )

• Press the 'dial' key to the left of the optical pad to bring up the dialer
  • With the onscreen keypad input *#1546792*#
  • Select 'Preconfiguration'
  • Enter code *#81230*# and select OK
  • Select 'UK', with the default Operator
  • Accept this, DEVICE WILL HARD RESET
  • Run update, and all should be well.

2. Change the version in the phone's registry (from DXHJ1 to XXHG1 - to be inferior to XXHJ1, otherwise you'll get ".. already the latest version ..." message)

- upload regedit.exe to phone

- change HKCU\Control Panel\Version\CustomVersion from DXHJ1 to XXHG1

3. Execute the update file taken form Samsung and leave it open, then browse to "C:\Documents and Settings\\Local Settings\Temp\IXP000.TMP\" and copy UPDATE.exe to Desktop.

4. Hex edit UPDATE.exe. (i've used xvi32)

- open file in editor

- scroll to the end of file

- search up (or from end) for i900XX

- change the second result to i900DX

- save and exit

5. Flash the phone using hex edited UPDATE.exe B) .

6. Change back to your country. (see step 1).

BACKUP YOUR PHONE BEFORE FLASHING. "MY STORAGE" WILL BE FORMATED!!! SO COPY ALL YOUR FILES BEFORE FLASHING.

BE SURE YOU HAVE SAMSUNG MODEM INSTALLED.

I used this method to go back to DXHJ1 because i didn't like the UK version (Network cannot be dragged to widget's bar, Opera build was older).

Flashing may kill the phone. USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

xvi32.zip

regeditSTG.zip

SamsungModem_xp.zip

post-449274-1227404428_thumb.jpg

post-449274-1227404433_thumb.jpg

Edited by mik3y

Sounds great but i guess there's no point me going from DXHJ1 to the new UK one?

No, i think DXHJ1 is better ... but this will help others to flash trough various versions or to solve the "incorrect version" and "the device already contains the newest firmware".

I'm happy i managed to do this because i wanted to use firmware from Samsung website. There are so many ROM files and versions and it's hard to know which is good.

Edited by mik3y

Guest sumitescp

You are the man. I have been trying for days and days to revert back to the official update. I will be trying this and will post results.

Thanks to everyone for the help, you, paul and all the ther members:)B)B)

Guest sumitescp

I just tried it now. Not working for me. I am not a noob and I know what I am doing. Still it does not work. Incorrect soft. version

I have a white vodafone uk i900v

I just tried it now. Not working for me. I am not a noob and I know what I am doing. Still it does not work. Incorrect soft. version

I have a white vodafone uk i900v

What firmware have you tried? What is your software version?

Guest black-DraGon

hi guys,

i think its much easyer to edit the phone... look at my blog there is a youtube video how to do that...

all you need is totalcmd for mobile to edit the reg... but look the video.

hi guys,

i think its much easyer to edit the phone... look at my blog there is a youtube video how to do that...

all you need is totalcmd for mobile to edit the reg... but look the video.

In order to use samsung oficial firmware first part of software version must match with the one that UPDATE.exe checks and second should be inferior to the phone version. (Ex: to flash from i900XXHH1/XFHH1 to i900DXHJ1/DZHJ1 ... UPDATE.EXE must be hex edited from i900DX to i900XX ... phone version will be changed using regedit.exe from XFHH1to DZHG1 - G and not J because it needs to be inferior)

Also is important that the phone country match the firmware country ... (in the previously example the phone must be set to Philippines or Singapore for DXHJ1 update, otherwise you'll get "incorrect version"). Read Paul's post http://www.modaco.com/content/i900-omnia-r...re-version-fix/

If is not working please write what version do you have/tried.

Edited by mik3y

Guest sythlord2001
In order to use samsung oficial firmware first part of software version must match with the one that UPDATE.exe checks and second should be inferior to the phone version. (Ex: to flash from i900XXHH1/XFHH1 to i900DXHJ1/DZHJ1 ... UPDATE.EXE must be hex edited from i900DX to i900XX ... phone version will be changed using regedit.exe from XFHH1to DZHG1 - G and not J because it needs to be inferior)

Also is important that the phone country match the firmware country ... (in the previously example the phone must be set to Philippines or Singapore for DXHJ1 update, otherwise you'll get "incorrect version"). Read Paul's post http://www.modaco.com/content/i900-omnia-r...re-version-fix/

If is not working please write what version do you have/tried.

Hi Mikey I am in the uK and have an orange unbranded pone. I have updated it to the rom DXHJ1. I want to put the Samsung Official Rom MSHJ1 on, what do i need to change?

Thanx.

I have done what you said above, but its coming up with that i already have latest version.

Regards

Syth

Hi Mikey I am in the uK and have an orange unbranded pone. I have updated it to the rom DXHJ1. I want to put the Samsung Official Rom MSHJ1 on, what do i need to change?

Thanx.

I have done what you said above, but its coming up with that i already have latest version.

Regards

Syth

Hi Syth

Make sure that when you change phone version using regedit.exe you put something like - MSHG1 (or MSHH1) ... updater checks if your version is equal or inferior to MSHJ1 ... if is equal you'll get "... latest version message" ...

Witch version did you write there? ... After changing the version check your Omnia version, Start arrow_ver.gifSettings arrow_ver.gifSystem tab arrow_ver.gif Your version of Omnia menu. You should have something like i900DXHJ1/MSHG1 ...

Tell me if you manage to get it done B).

does it work for me to flash the MCR03 to official rom DZHJ1 ?

Official rom DZHJ1 is i900DXHJ1/DZHJ1 ... what is your actual phone version?

Edited by mik3y

Guest sythlord2001
Hi Syth

Make sure that when you change phone version using regedit.exe you put something like - MSHG1 (or MSHH1) ... updater checks if your version is equal or inferior to MSHJ1 ... if is equal you'll get "... latest version message" ...

Witch version did you write there? ... After changing the version check your Omnia version, Start arrow_ver.gifSettings arrow_ver.gifSystem tab arrow_ver.gif Your version of Omnia menu. You should have something like i900DXHJ1/MSHG1 ...

Tell me if you manage to get it done B) .

I did have MSHG1 and thats when i got latest version message, but i tried MSHH1 and updaing with that. it is currently updating, will let u know of outcome. btw i tried it on xp version on xp pc and it wudn't do anything, am running it on my vista pc with the vista update file and seems to be working.

Edited by sythlord2001

Guest bongola

Hi,

I have Voda branded omnia i900V. Please help me how to remove all vodafone things(I like to flash with latest ROM). I'm noob and I need detailed instruction how to do this. My software is : PDA:I900XXHJ6/ACHJ2, PHONE:i900BUHJ1. It's unlocked (sim free).

Tks.

Guest queener1234

Hi, i'm a noob, just wonder if this method will help me

the flashing process stucks at "downloading eboot" 0%

this is my pda version

PDA i908zhhj2

Phone i908zhhj1

anyone that has exp can help? thanks.

ITS ALIVE ITS ALIVE>>> WORKING :-)

Thanx Mikey

You're welcome ... it should work for everyone if they made all the changes correctly. I've done it several times with different firmwares from Samsung website.

Hi, i'm a noob, just wonder if this method will help me

the flashing process stucks at "downloading eboot" 0%

this is my pda version

PDA i908zhhj2

Phone i908zhhj1

anyone that has exp can help? thanks.

Do you have Samsung Modem installed? It's very important ... If not, try to install it and reboot the phone ... also before that search the forum for this problem and see what others have done. All my updates went well so i don't know what you did wrong ...

Hi,

I have Voda branded omnia i900V. Please help me how to remove all vodafone things(I like to flash with latest ROM). I'm noob and I need detailed instruction how to do this. My software is : PDA:I900XXHJ6/ACHJ2, PHONE:i900BUHJ1. It's unlocked (sim free).

Tks.

It should be easy for you, first change the phone to UK (THIS WILL DELETE EVERYTHING!!!).

Second Change the version in the phone's registry (from ACHJ2 to XXHG1, XXHH1 or MSHH1)

Go to Samsung Website and take the UK version - enter MSHH1 to access the download page.

Install Samsung Modem and execute the UK firmware.

Also, before flashing, read the forum to learn more about the process - this may kill your phone.