Flashing ROM - "Incorrect software version!" tutorial

Guest mik3y

Guest x_iceman_x

I finally got it to work over the "Incorrect Software Version".

These are the steps I made.

1. Make sure you connect usb cable directly to the pc not to usb hub.

2. Hard reset your phone.

3. Remove back cover of the battery, prevents overheating. If you can provide a cooling fan much better.

4. Remove your sim card.

5. Change to what country you want (thanks to Paul's post - http://www.modaco.com/content/i900-omnia-r...re-version-fix/ )

* Press the 'dial' key to the left of the optical pad to bring up the dialer

* With the onscreen keypad input *#1546792*#

* Select 'Preconfiguration'

* Enter code *#81230*# and select OK

* Select the country you want, with the default Operator

* Accept this, DEVICE WILL HARD RESET

* Run update, and all should be well.

6. Change the version in the phone's registry (from DXHJ1 to XXHG1 - to be inferior to XXHJ1, otherwise you'll get ".. already the latest version ..." message) thanks to mik3y

- upload regedit.exe to phone

- change HKCU\Control Panel\Version\CustomVersion from DXHJ1 to XXHG1

7. Execute the update file taken form Samsung and leave it open, then browse to "C:\Documents and Settings\\Local Settings\Temp\IXP000.TMP\" and copy UPDATE.exe to Desktop.

Thanks to Mik3y

8. Close the update file.

9. Hex edit UPDATE.exe. (i've used xvi32) Thanks to Mik3y

- open file in editor

- scroll to the end of file

- search up (or from end) for i900XX

- change the second result to your PDA version (i900JP)

ex. PDA i900JPHI5/JVHH1

PHONE i900JVHI3

- save and exit

10. Flash the phone using hex edited UPDATE.exe

Try it. It might work for you.

Hi all, will soon be getting the omnia just needing to save up a few more weeks pay :)

Just wondering is there more than 1 method to update the firmware for the samsung Omnia, as I've been reading lots of threads, and the method by Mik3y is slightly different to the method by Sonora which I found from whirlpool http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-repli...fm/1097239.html Both of them requires you to edit the registry of the phone but sonoras method donesn't mention anything about editing the update.exe file.

are both methods a different way of acheiving the same thing or is one of them more safe as in less likely to brick the phone?

Thanks

Guest killeriq
Hello,

I have Omnia i900 from Slovakia

PDA:i900BPHJ3/NYHJ1

TELEFON:i900XXHI5

When i try to update from page its saying that version what i put is incorrect

http://www.samsungmobile.com/support/omnia...y=uk&os=xp#

Does anybody did a successful flash for that? Cos i have it in Czech lang and i would like to put english over there, thx

I tried to Change it to UK, Singapore hex edit the updater by guide...but still Incorrect version message...I want just any english firmware

Please can u advice which to download and what to change with regedit and hex? thx a lot !

Here is what i did and got it FINALLY WORKING :)

* Select the 'Singapore' country , with the default Operator

- after reset upload regedit.exe to phone

- change HKCU\Control Panel\Version\CustomVersion from DXHJ1 (or whatever u have) to DXHG4

- from http://www.samsungmobile.com/support/omnia/index.jsp download latest FW and chose 'Singapore' country i my case was this one i900DZHK3_updater_xp.exe

Then without any HEX Editing i just run it and it was working...FLASHed without any problem and working fine

actual version:

PDA:i900DXHK3/DZHK3

Phone: i900DXHK3

Then after flashing just change back to country what ever u like

Enjoy :D

I finally got it to work over the "Incorrect Software Version".

These are the steps I made.

1. Make sure you connect usb cable directly to the pc not to usb hub.

2. Hard reset your phone.

3. Remove back cover of the battery, prevents overheating. If you can provide a cooling fan much better.

4. Remove your sim card.

5. Change to what country you want (thanks to Paul's post - http://www.modaco.com/content/i900-omnia-r...re-version-fix/ )

* Select the country you want, with the default Operator

* Run update, and all should be well.

6. Change the version in the phone's registry (from DXHJ1 to XXHG1 - to be inferior to XXHJ1, otherwise you'll get ".. already the latest version ..." message) thanks to mik3y

- upload regedit.exe to phone

- change HKCU\Control Panel\Version\CustomVersion from DXHJ1 to XXHG1

7. Execute the update file taken form Samsung and leave it open, then browse to "C:\Documents and Settings\\Local Settings\Temp\IXP000.TMP\" and copy UPDATE.exe to Desktop.

Thanks to Mik3y

8. Close the update file.

9. Hex edit UPDATE.exe. (i've used xvi32) Thanks to Mik3y

- open file in editor

- scroll to the end of file

- search up (or from end) for i900XX

- change the second result to your PDA version (i900JP)

ex. PDA i900JPHI5/JVHH1

PHONE i900JVHI3

- save and exit

10. Flash the phone using hex edited UPDATE.exe

Try it. It might work for you.

Yeap, it should work ... removing SIM card will prevent the phone to change the country at start ... ( i wrote in a previous post to decline any zone modification after changing country)

Thank you for feedback :)

Edited by mik3y

Here is what i did and got it FINALLY WORKING :)

* Select the 'Singapore' country , with the default Operator

- after reset upload regedit.exe to phone

- change HKCU\Control Panel\Version\CustomVersion from DXHJ1 (or whatever u have) to DXHG4

- from http://www.samsungmobile.com/support/omnia/index.jsp download latest FW and chose 'Singapore' country i my case was this one i900DZHK3_updater_xp.exe

Then without any HEX Editing i just run it and it was working...FLASHed without any problem and working fine

actual version:

PDA:i900DXHK3/DZHK3

Phone: i900DXHK3

Then after flashing just change back to country what ever u like

Enjoy :D

There are several checks before you can flash ... Country, phone version, firmware version ... If you have i900XX, you cannot flash to i900DZ for example, without HEX edit ... :)

My Omnia

PDA: i900XXHJ1/XFHJ1

PHONE:i900XXHI5

I reset mu Omnia to Singapore.. like 4 times...

and still in this version.. How I can update my Omnia??

Follow all the steps ... changing the country is not enough ...

1. change country to Singapore

2. Change phone version to DZHH1

3. Hex edit UPDATE.exe - search for i900DX ... change to i900XX

Read the whole topic before ...

Edited by mik3y

Tried with DX because of my phone is DXHH3.

In fact, the DXHJ1 I've tried it's from his posts!

Try any custom ROM ... and then follow my first post ... You should change your actual ROM somehow in order to flash to any official one ...

Guest killeriq
There are several checks before you can flash ... Country, phone version, firmware version ... If you have i900XX, you cannot flash to i900DZ for example, without HEX edit ... :)

I didnt HEX edit enything it was working like i wrote...

before i HEX edit other FW and still was not working then i find out somewhere this solution, i tried it and its working fine...Even GPS is working much better i get satellites in few seconds

Guest Carlos0371

Sorry to jump on your thread mik3y, but thought this was relevant:

***VODAFONE FIX - To revert back to OFFICIAL Vodafone branded ROM***

Here's what worked for me, and I am so chuffed I'm going to go and

post it everywhere I can think of!!! lol

**NOTES: My handset was bought in the UK from Phones4U, Unlocked but on a Vodafone contract, so with their Branding.

I updated to OFFICIAL ACHJ1 when it was released, and I have tried a variety of other ROMs since doing that.

As I am having hardware problems with my phone (was having them before flashing the ROM) I have to return it to Phones4U for repair. This means I have to have the original Vodafone ROM back on it.

I do not guarantee that this will work for you, but if you find you are in the same situation, I see no reason why it won't.

Please note I will NOT be held responsible for any damage to anyone's phone through following these instructions, and if you are unsure on how to flash a ROM, please do not even consider doing this until you are.

As always, Please also remember the following:

!!!USE CUSTOM ROMS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

!!!CUSTOM ROMS CAN HARM YOUR DEVICE!!!

!!!CUSTOM ROMS WILL INVALIDATE YOUR WARRANTY!!!

Now, here's what I did (No registry or hex editing required):

1) Flash to DXHJ1 HERE

2) On completion of update, ensure you Soft Reset

3) Flash to Official T-Mobile Rom BOHH5 HERE

4) On completion of update, ensure you Soft Reset

5) Go to phone keypad and type: *#638738# - This brings up the "Configuration" menu because the *#1546792*# option doesn't do anything on branded ROMs - Change Country to "United Kingdom" - PHONE WILL HARD RESET.

6) Run Samsung Official ACHJ1 Updater for Vodafone ROM **NOTE** For some reason, my updater had "****EMERGENCY RESCUE MODE**** (or something like that anyway) - I selected this, left the other 2 boxes blank, and Hey Presto, the update worked!!

7) On completion of update, ensure you Soft Reset, and Voila! Vodafone Branded Omnia ready to be shipped back to Vodafone for repair!!!!

I Now have an Omnia showing:

PDA: i900XXHJ6/ACHJ2

PHONE: i900BUHJ1

If someone has a Vodafone Omnia on ACHJ2 ROM, I would be grateful if they can confirm these numbers to be correct.

Many, MANY Thanks go out to everyone on here who has posted details on flashing, how to change registry settings, hex editing etc., if it wasn't for me having so much information to help me, I'd never have done this, and £400 for a new phone? I think not.

Thanks to everyone for making this board such a great source of information, and in particular to those of you who spend so much time coding, cooking and releasing ROMs for us all to get the best out of this fantastic little (BIG) phone.

Hope this helps someone save about 2 weeks trying to solve this problem.

Cheers,

Carlos.

Edited by Carlos0371

Sorry to jump on your thread mik3y, but thought this was relevant:

***VODAFONE FIX - To revert back to OFFICIAL Vodafone branded ROM***

Here's what worked for me, and I am so chuffed I'm going to go and

post it everywhere I can think of!!! lol

**NOTES: My handset was bought in the UK from Phones4U, Unlocked but on a Vodafone contract, so with their Branding.

I updated to OFFICIAL ACHJ1 when it was released, and I have tried a variety of other ROMs since doing that.

As I am having hardware problems with my phone (was having them before flashing the ROM) I have to return it to Phones4U for repair. This means I have to have the original Vodafone ROM back on it.

I do not guarantee that this will work for you, but if you find you are in the same situation, I see no reason why it won't.

Please note I will NOT be held responsible for any damage to anyone's phone through following these instructions, and if you are unsure on how to flash a ROM, please do not even consider doing this until you are.

As always, Please also remember the following:

!!!USE CUSTOM ROMS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

!!!CUSTOM ROMS CAN HARM YOUR DEVICE!!!

!!!CUSTOM ROMS WILL INVALIDATE YOUR WARRANTY!!!

Now, here's what I did (No registry or hex editing required):

1) Flash to DXHJ1 HERE

2) On completion of update, ensure you Soft Reset

3) Flash to Official T-Mobile Rom BOHH5 HERE

4) On completion of update, ensure you Soft Reset

5) Go to phone keypad and type: *#638738# - This brings up the "Configuration" menu because the *#1546792*# option doesn't do anything on branded ROMs - Change Country to "United Kingdom" - PHONE WILL HARD RESET.

6) Run Samsung Official ACHJ1 Updater for Vodafone ROM **NOTE** For some reason, my updater had "****EMERGENCY RESCUE MODE**** (or something like that anyway) - I selected this, left the other 2 boxes blank, and Hey Presto, the update worked!!

7) On completion of update, ensure you Soft Reset, and Voila! Vodafone Branded Omnia ready to be shipped back to Vodafone for repair!!!!

I Now have an Omnia showing:

PDA: i900XXHJ6/ACHJ2

PHONE: i900BUHJ1

If someone has a Vodafone Omnia on ACHJ2 ROM, I would be grateful if they can confirm these numbers to be correct.

Many, MANY Thanks go out to everyone on here who has posted details on flashing, how to change registry settings, hex editing etc., if it wasn't for me having so much information to help me, I'd never have done this, and £400 for a new phone? I think not.

Thanks to everyone for making this board such a great source of information, and in particular to those of you who spend so much time coding, cooking and releasing ROMs for us all to get the best out of this fantastic little (BIG) phone.

Hope this helps someone save about 2 weeks trying to solve this problem.

Cheers,

Carlos.

No problem ... any information can help many "Omnians":)

Guest louisawasjerry

hello mikey

i get step 2 done. but i got question of step 3 and 4?can you let me what is purpose of step 3 and 4? i already changed from MSHG1 to DXHG1, i will flashing my omnia by using vista. is that possibe to flash when i get step 2 done? i already downloaded dxhk3 firmware.

Guest louisawasjerry
Try on a computer with XP ...

hello mikey

i get it done.but i still dun understand step 3, step i need to execute in phone or pc? i have flashed to DXHK3 now, i got it another firmware from other forum,DXIA2_DZIA2, they said this is the latest one, improved in sensitivity of touch screen, gps signal can receive quicker. but from official web site the latest version dxhk3.

which version r u using?

Guest Carlos0371
get stuck on step 3.i dun understand it.how to find file C:\Documents and Settings\\Local Settings\Temp\IXP000.TMP\"?

You need to make sure you can view "Hidden" folders so you can see this folder.

XP:

1. On the Tools menu in Windows Explorer, click Folder Options.

2. Click the View tab.

3. Under Hidden files and folders, click Show hidden files and folders.

Vista:

1. Click the Start

2. Click Control Panel

3. Click Folder Options

4. Click the View tab

5. Click Show Hidden Files and Folders

6. Click OK

Hope this helps,

Carlos.

Guest louisawasjerry
You need to make sure you can view "Hidden" folders so you can see this folder.

XP:

1. On the Tools menu in Windows Explorer, click Folder Options.

2. Click the View tab.

3. Under Hidden files and folders, click Show hidden files and folders.

Vista:

1. Click the Start

2. Click Control Panel

3. Click Folder Options

4. Click the View tab

5. Click Show Hidden Files and Folders

6. Click OK

Hope this helps,

Carlos.

hi

i did turn hidden folder on, but i still cant find the file. i using vista.

hello mikey

i get it done.but i still dun understand step 3, step i need to execute in phone or pc? i have flashed to DXHK3 now, i got it another firmware from other forum,DXIA2_DZIA2, they said this is the latest one, improved in sensitivity of touch screen, gps signal can receive quicker. but from official web site the latest version dxhk3.

which version r u using?

HK3 ... I think you should use only original firmwares ... that's the reason i've started this thread ... It's a very high risk to brick your phone with custom ROMs ...

Guest louisawasjerry
HK3 ... I think you should use only original firmwares ... that's the reason i've started this thread ... It's a very high risk to brick your phone with custom ROMs ...

thank mikey...

what gps software are u using?

Hi guys i finally got my Samsung Omnia

checking the version mine says

PDA i900DFHL1/DFHL1

PHONE i900XXHL1

I got it from Allphones on the optus network in Australia how come its DF, isn't australia suppose to be DT, and there is no country code for DF, anyone know what country my phone is from?

Also according to the samsung website the latest firmware is DZHK3 how come mine is HL1, does that mean its even newer than the current available firmware on the samsung website?

Thanks

Guest saalooo

Hello everybody!

I received my Omnia today, and spent my day trying to update my ROM to the lastest official version (HK3).

I downloaded i900DXHK3_updater_xp.exe from Samsung site, but received the "Incorrect software version" warning.

What do I have to do to update to this version?

My version is (portuguese language):

PDA: i900XCHI2/BBHI2

PHONE: i900BBHI2

After more than 10 hours trying to update my phone, I gave up... Please, I need help.

Thanks!

Guest shoaibrais

Kindly help me with this I WANT TO GO BACK TO SAMSUNG OFFICIAL ROM FROM CUSTOM ROM from QBUS or Shokka or any other cooked roms WHAT IS THE PROCEDURE FOR THAT !! PLS REPLY CLEARLY WITH LINKS I WILL BE THANKFUL !!!

Guest RedCoupe

Please can somebody help me, getting totally stuck with this.

My mobile is as follows:

PDA: i900DXHH1/DXHH1

PHONE: i900DXHH1

I am in the UK on an O2 contract and have been trying to get my phone back to UK firmware (MSHJ1).

I have followed instructions regarding changing registry values and hex editing the update.exe file but whatever I seem to do, I always get the "Incorrect software version" box.

Anybody any ideas? Thanks.

Hi @ all,

After hours of reading, I still got some questions left - hope u can help me.

I got an omnia with Version i900XGHJ8/AUHJ2

Phone AUHJ2

and this is an A1-branded (Austria) Version. It's unlocked, so my German SIM-Card is working fine BUT:

Preconfigured Internet-Connections are NOT working. Of Course. Un-Cool...

- So I want to change it to a recent German unbranded version. Is it right, that this should be BHHL2 or is it a XX...-Version?

- I got stuck with Step 1 - there is no reaction, if i type *#154762*# (number can be wrong - typed it in this post out of my memory)

Do I have to press some other button or do I have to bring the phone in a special mode?

Do I HAVE to change the Country? Or could I possibly skip step 1?

I would be glad if someone knows... (and my Girlfriend also - it's HER phone, bought at eBay and there was no mention of this A1-firmware...)