[FIXED 12-5-08!!]Tethering on the I910 Verizon Omnia?

Guest somedude

A note on the Data plan for $30 versus $45. I have had the $45 for about 2 years with my phones. We always connect to our Exchange server and have it "push" our emails and it syncs. Well, I decided to try it, so I called and had it changed to the $30 plan, and guess what, my email still syncs, it still gets the "push" to tell it to sync, NO DIFFERENCE in the type of service or connectivity that I can tell.

I think that it is actually the difference in using that "VZW Wireless Sync" product they offer for syncing. That makes sense to me, that is a "service" they offer and you configure on a website of theirs.

I'm new to all this and feel I'm getting conflicting information. I thought I signed up for the $30 plan but got billed for the $45 plan and I do sync with an exchange server but don't use wireless sync, just activesync set up with my work server. After reading this thread I called Verizon and was given the line that if I connected to an exchange server I had to have the $45 plan. She tried to tell me that they check what kind of email you're connecting to and set you account accordingly and that the $30 plan only gives you access to IMAP and POP. Do you have to get an enlightened agent, or can I just tell them that I want to change to the $30 plan and expect it will still sync to exchange?

thanks to the original person. I have tried for days on end with **paid for version** of wmwifirouter to no avail on my verizon touch pro. I have tried exhausting* hours of other programs and tutorials. I did every step of yours *every step*. and it connected the first time. I am posting this messege wirelessly tethered to my touch pro. I am connected to a dell/vista/sp1 laptop.

thank you again.

Guest Reubellion

Beautiful! I am actually posting this reply using the internet off of my phone (i910). Works like a charm! Thanks!

When I first installed the ICS cab, i was unable to connect to the internet via USB. But after a simple soft reset on my phone, I was able to browse the internet by merely connecting my phone to my laptop via USB. Thanks!

Guest brownbunny

How to: Get Wifi Tethering working on the Verizon Omnia I910

**** If you have installed any other ICS files before you will need to do a hard reset. ****

Use the files I have attached.

1. Download/Install the attached "ICSInstall.CAB" file.
    (You may not need to do 2 - 6 but this is how I got it to work.)
  2. Restart your phone.
  3. Test the install by Connecting the USB cable to your computer.
  4. Then run "IntShrUI" from the Programs Menu and select "Connect".
  5. If done correctly the program should display "Connected".
  6. Now select "Disconnect" and disconnect the USB cable.
  7. Download/Install the attached "WMWifiRouter91.CAB" file.
  8. Restart your phone.
  9. Turn on Wifi.
  10. Run WMWifiRouter from the Programs Menu.
  11. Select "Connect"
  12. If done correctly the program should display "Connected to WMWifiRouter Ready".
  13. From your computer search for the "WMWifiRouter" wireless connection.
  14. Now have fun surfing the web from anywhere.
*You may need to restart your phone and repeat steps 10 - 14 a few times to get it to work.

Hi, I'm totally new to this so I'm not sure if I'm doing this correctly. But I just wanted to say you are a freakin genius!!! GENIUS!!! Thank you so much for sharing this info. I would have pulled my hair out if something didn't work. I've been so frustrated with the Verizon Broadband Access, wasn't sure if it was an issue with Dell Vista or Verizon themselves. After a tech guy spent an hour on the phone with Verizon support, they still couldn't figure it out. This is so much easier, cheaper, and saved me a lot more time having to watch the Verizon tech guy try to figure this out...which I doubt he would have. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!!

Guest eufouria

I'm trying to tether to a powerbook g4 just over USB and when I hit connect the status in the Internet share utility goes to :Check USB cable connection.

I tried both .cab files linked in this thread.

Anyone else encounter this problem?

Guest gojuman

**** If you have installed any other ICS files before you will need to do a hard reset. ****

2. Restart your phone.
  8. Restart your phone.
  9. Turn on Wifi.
  11. Select "Connect"
  12. If done correctly the program should display "Connected to WMWifiRouter Ready".
*You may need to restart your phone and repeat steps 10 - 14 a few times to get it to work.

Guest gojuman

Wow, went through first time.............your awsome! I am fairly new to Verizon and real new to smartphones in general. I get a bit confused on the different data plans...........included, not included 50mb 5gb blah blah. I assume I have to have some sort of basic data plan since the unit says "connecting to broadband" when just using vznavigator or getting basic email. Any input on what I need to ensure the plan has?

Guest brake419

This works awesome!!! Thank you.

But I have had problems after an hour or two while connected with wifi. It stops working and then then I cant connect anymore to the net with my PC. After a soft boot or two i can connect to the net through to usb, but no more wifi. And the wifi is unable to turn on anymore. After a hard boot and reinstall of everything it works good agin for a long while, but then just happened again.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Brake.

Guest gojuman

Got the fix to go with no problems. Does this give you unlimited internet? Do you still need some sort of Date Plan on the omnia? Want to make sure I don't get slammed with some sort of hidden charge I am not thinking of.......

thanks so much

2. Restart your phone.
  8. Restart your phone.
  9. Turn on Wifi.
  11. Select "Connect"

Guest gojuman

since this is so hard on battery can we just leave the usb cord into computer to hold a charge? Would I still use the WIIFIROUTER or do I have to change the settings to use USB as modem or a different program alltogether? Or maybe it is the first .cab we run if connected with cable.....................is it still unlimited regardless of connection method?

Guest OctaneMS
Got the fix to go with no problems. Does this give you unlimited internet? Do you still need some sort of Date Plan on the omnia? Want to make sure I don't get slammed with some sort of hidden charge I am not thinking of.......

thanks so much

Tethering allows you to connect to the internet using the standard Data plan that Verizon requires all Omnia's to have. This will allow you to connect to the internet without having to pay the extra fees Verizon charges to use thier service. You should not have to pay any extra fees.

Also you asked about the the battery life while using the wifi.

You have many options:

1. Connect the phone to you computer using a usb cable, run IntShrUI, and connect using USB. (This will give the fastest speeds)
  2. Connect the phone to your computer using a usb cable, run WMWifiRouter, and connect using wifi.
  3. Connect the phone to your travel charger, run WMWifiRouter, and connect using wifi. (Great for connecting more then one computer)

Guest shawny670

Hello i dont know if anyone has had this problem but i read through all 9 pages and couldnt find it so i thought i would bring it up. I have installed the files mentioned from this thread and the wifi tethering works like a charm everytime i hadnt had any of the other common trouble. However although i did this a few weeks ago i just noticed a problem. Since i pay the $30 for the data plan from VZ for my omnia i havent noticed till now because i had no reason to not use VZ internet. But ever since installing these files it seems that i can no longer connect to any other wireless network and use it to give internet to my phone. This mostly hasnt been an issue because as i said i havent needed to not use VZ internet but i dont like that this software seems to interupt what the hardware is supposed to be used for. Is anyone else having this trouble? Can anyone else connect to other wireless networks despite having installed ICS and WMWifi?

Hello i dont know if anyone has had this problem but i read through all 9 pages and couldnt find it so i thought i would bring it up. I have installed the files mentioned from this thread and the wifi tethering works like a charm everytime i hadnt had any of the other common trouble. However although i did this a few weeks ago i just noticed a problem. Since i pay the $30 for the data plan from VZ for my omnia i havent noticed till now because i had no reason to not use VZ internet. But ever since installing these files it seems that i can no longer connect to any other wireless network and use it to give internet to my phone. This mostly hasnt been an issue because as i said i havent needed to not use VZ internet but i dont like that this software seems to interupt what the hardware is supposed to be used for. Is anyone else having this trouble? Can anyone else connect to other wireless networks despite having installed ICS and WMWifi?

I had the same issue. I decided to hard reset and just tether with usb or bluetooth.

Guest dserhal
Tethering allows you to connect to the internet using the standard Data plan that Verizon requires all Omnia's to have. This will allow you to connect to the internet without having to pay the extra fees Verizon charges to use thier service. You should not have to pay any extra fees.

OK, now I am confused....

I have an old notebook I use. I can connect my notebook to my Omnia and use the USB tethering that I pay for. It uses my Verizon data Plan while connecting. No problem.

What I want to do is use my notebook at say Starbucks or whatever. I do NOT want to use the data plan, I want to use Starbucks (or wherever) WIFI signal. My Notebook does NOT have a WIFI card. Can I use my notebook at starbucks and surf the net by using my Omnia as a WIFI reciever? Is that what this thread is about?

I am confused about this.

Thanks.

Guest voyageurs60

2. Restart your phone.
  8. Restart your phone.
  9. Turn on Wifi.
  11. Select "Connect"

OK - I have followed the directions and am having a couple of issues... steps I am following...

1. Soft Reset with USB phone cable disconnected...

2. after reset - plug phone into USB cable - look at Connectivity baloom and it says activesync - connected

3. start wifi radio of phone - turn on WLan...

4. start WMWIFIrouter... shows not connected/ready - select "connect" - connection

starts and the dialer pops up covering the lower half of the screen. get successfull connection

then after a short while this drops and have message "Not Connected - Waiting for connection..."

Note: at no time did the data connection seem to start... I do have a WiFi connection established with the laptop... no internet...

What am I doing wrong? Note: 2 - the WMWIfiRouter downloaded from this site is different than

the one originally tried from WM... site. The WM... site version showed icons for connecting different ways... 3G to usb; 3G to BT; 3G to WiFi...

Thanks for any help you can advance - would love to have this work...

Guest TucanoRC

I have an old notebook I use. I can connect my notebook to my Omnia and use the USB tethering that I pay for. It uses my Verizon data Plan while connecting. No problem.

What I want to do is use my notebook at say Starbucks or whatever. I do NOT want to use the data plan, I want to use Starbucks (or wherever) WIFI signal. My Notebook does NOT have a WIFI card. Can I use my notebook at starbucks and surf the net by using my Omnia as a WIFI reciever? Is that what this thread is about?

I am confused about this.

Thanks.

This is not an option to use your Omnia as a Wireless NIC.

This option is to use your Omnia as a wireless modem. If you are in starbucks and wanted to use their wifi, then you will need to install a wireless NIC. you can get one for just a few bucks, either PCMCIA or USB.

Hoped this helped you.

TucanoRC

Guest TucanoRC
OK - I have followed the directions and am having a couple of issues... steps I am following...

2. after reset - plug phone into USB cable - look at Connectivity baloom and it says activesync - connected

4. start WMWIFIrouter... shows not connected/ready - select "connect" - connection

starts and the dialer pops up covering the lower half of the screen. get successfull connection

then after a short while this drops and have message "Not Connected - Waiting for connection..."

Note: at no time did the data connection seem to start... I do have a WiFi connection established with the laptop... no internet...

What am I doing wrong? Note: 2 - the WMWIfiRouter downloaded from this site is different than

the one originally tried from WM... site. The WM... site version showed icons for connecting different ways... 3G to usb; 3G to BT; 3G to WiFi...

voyageurs60..... Have you tried to "tether with USB" first using "IntShrUI" ? and did it that work? If that worked for you then I would try this:

1. Soft reset your Omnia

2. when your phone is back on go to > start > Programs > WifiRouter > Connect.

it should turn your Wifi on automatically then start ICS then wait for connection then connect... let us know if it still is not working.

TucanoRC

Guest dwallersv

Some people (myself being one) have experienced problems with WEP, and have to use it without any encryption. If you've got WEP enable, turn it off and see if you can 1) establish a working connection between your laptop and phone without WMWifiRouter (connect and transfer a file or something to/from your phone), then 2) try WMWR.

I'm using the latest paid-for version, which I'd recommend.

Guest dwallersv

You can do exactly this (use your phone as a NIC for a PC via USB cable) with the current, commercial version of WMWifiRouter. You have to buy it, though.

Guest TucanoRC
You can do exactly this (use your phone as a NIC for a PC via USB cable) with the current, commercial version of WMWifiRouter. You have to buy it, though.

oppps! my reply to his question was for the freeware version. Have not tried the newer commercial version of the application. I guess I will have to look into this pay to play version.

interesting--> USB to Wifi - the internet feed comes in through wifi, and is sent to your computer over USB, while with this USB to Wifi connection profile the internet feed comes through your computer to your mobile device over USB, and is then shared over Wifi.

Edited by TucanoRC

Guest dserhal

Thanks TucanoRC & dwallersv,

That clears up my confusion. I appreciate it.

I was sitting in a place that offered Wi-Fi and I didn't have my NIC with me...I just wondered it it would have worked as a NIC.

You guys answered my question.

Thanks again!

D

WOW !!! are you sure about this???

I have to tether to get internet I have no wifi and really don't need wifi at this time.

I followed the direction except I had to change my connection in the phone to wifi instead of usb .

fired off like a champ

I'm going to call Verizon and cancel that tethering fee tomorrow .

I guess I don,t need to start up VZ access but I guess i need to keep it on the computer for the samsung drivers or can I get rid of it??.are you sure about this!!!

Thank You much