• Announcements

• Reminder - MoDaCo position on illegal content   07/30/15

ILLEGAL CONTENT I'd like to just reaffirm MoDaCo's position regarding piracy and illegal content in the light of some recent questions / postings. Posts will be censored by myself or my moderation team if the contain or link to: Illegal / pirated / cracked software or sites that host such softwareNintendo emulators / ROMs or sites hosting them (in light of Nintendo's legal stance)CUSTOM ROMS You may discuss and post links to custom device ROMs on MoDaCo, provided the following rules are adhered to: ROMs must not contain any illegal 3rd party software (this includes trial versions included without permission)ROMs must give full credit to the original authorISSUES If you have any issues with this policy, please contact PaulOBrien directly via PM.
    • Reminder: Selling items on the forum directly is not allowed   07/30/15

Please note that selling items on the forum directly is not allowed by the forum rules. There is a forum for eBay auctions whereby you can list the items on eBay and link to them there. This is the ONLY forum for this type of activity. You may also advertise links to the eBay forum in your signature. Please note that selling directly in contravention of these rules will result in a warning / suspension / ban.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

G1 using orange SIM

6 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm tied in with an orange contract so I have bought a T-mobile G1 which i'm going to sim unlock.

If I then use my orange sim in the G1 can I still access the Same Marketplace.

It seems that when they start to allow developers to charge for their apps, 30% of the revenue will go to the "carrier". Now what i'm unsure of is if I am using an orange sim, where does this 30% go? the phone carrier or the SIM carrier?

I'm guessing the phone itself connects to a specific market place so they know who to charge?

Does anyone understand what i'm going on about???

Matt.

Posted

As the marketplace works over wifi with no sim installed as well a 3G/GPRS then to operate this model they'd most likely refer to the handset firmware that would then tie in to the supplying carrier - unless a specific APN etc is used for the chargeable apps. Or just give a straight 30% of revenue to t-mobile...

M.S

Posted

I've got a G1 (unlocked) and using an orange sim. As long as you put in the APN settings (needed at phone start to sync google) then market place will be fine. I've downloaded loads of apps and also already had one ver the air update. It all works so well and the phone is absolutely great!

Any problems feel free to PM me.

Posted

Hey guys, total noob here. I've just bought a G1 and waiting for it to arrive, will I need to get a new 3g simcard from Orange? Or will my standard Orange simcard just work after I've unlocked the phone?

And second question, where's the best place to get it unlocked? Is there anyone doing it for free yet?

Posted (edited)

Hey guys, total noob here. I've just bought a G1 and waiting for it to arrive, will I need to get a new 3g simcard from Orange? Or will my standard Orange simcard just work after I've unlocked the phone?

And second question, where's the best place to get it unlocked? Is there anyone doing it for free yet?

Is your existing orange sim 3g? If not you'll need another and Orange are particularly unhelpful when supplying a 3G sim to a 2G sim user - usually the rep. says you need to buy a 3G phone *from them* to get a 3G sim but there are ways around the issue and I've found it's easy if PAYG not so easy contract.

edit - the orange 2g sim will still work if you only have a 2g sim - just not at 3g speeds.

Unlocking codes are available for about £14. Google or look on eBay. You'll need to follow a specific process to add a gmail account to the phone before you can get past the startup screen to unlock the phone if it's boxfresh brand new. If you have access to a t-mobile sim this is easy though not impossible without one.

M.S

Edited by Mysterious Stranger

Posted

I've got a G1 (unlocked) and using an orange sim. As long as you put in the APN settings (needed at phone start to sync google) then market place will be fine. I've downloaded loads of apps and also already had one ver the air update. It all works so well and the phone is absolutely great!

Any problems feel free to PM me.

Hey i have just brought a g1 and unlocked it. i am using an orange sim card. i was just wondering whether you had the APN settings which i could put into the phone.

Thanks