G1 using orange SIM

Guest Croccy22

Guest Croccy22

I'm tied in with an orange contract so I have bought a T-mobile G1 which i'm going to sim unlock.

If I then use my orange sim in the G1 can I still access the Same Marketplace.

It seems that when they start to allow developers to charge for their apps, 30% of the revenue will go to the "carrier". Now what i'm unsure of is if I am using an orange sim, where does this 30% go? the phone carrier or the SIM carrier?

I'm guessing the phone itself connects to a specific market place so they know who to charge?

Does anyone understand what i'm going on about???

Matt.

Guest Mysterious Stranger

As the marketplace works over wifi with no sim installed as well a 3G/GPRS then to operate this model they'd most likely refer to the handset firmware that would then tie in to the supplying carrier - unless a specific APN etc is used for the chargeable apps. Or just give a straight 30% of revenue to t-mobile...

M.S

• 1 month later...
Guest adicken

I've got a G1 (unlocked) and using an orange sim. As long as you put in the APN settings (needed at phone start to sync google) then market place will be fine. I've downloaded loads of apps and also already had one ver the air update. It all works so well and the phone is absolutely great!

Any problems feel free to PM me.

Guest Steve Goral

Hey guys, total noob here. I've just bought a G1 and waiting for it to arrive, will I need to get a new 3g simcard from Orange? Or will my standard Orange simcard just work after I've unlocked the phone?

And second question, where's the best place to get it unlocked? Is there anyone doing it for free yet?

Guest Mysterious Stranger
Hey guys, total noob here. I've just bought a G1 and waiting for it to arrive, will I need to get a new 3g simcard from Orange? Or will my standard Orange simcard just work after I've unlocked the phone?

And second question, where's the best place to get it unlocked? Is there anyone doing it for free yet?

Is your existing orange sim 3g? If not you'll need another and Orange are particularly unhelpful when supplying a 3G sim to a 2G sim user - usually the rep. says you need to buy a 3G phone *from them* to get a 3G sim but there are ways around the issue and I've found it's easy if PAYG not so easy contract.

edit - the orange 2g sim will still work if you only have a 2g sim - just not at 3g speeds.

Unlocking codes are available for about £14. Google or look on eBay. You'll need to follow a specific process to add a gmail account to the phone before you can get past the startup screen to unlock the phone if it's boxfresh brand new. If you have access to a t-mobile sim this is easy though not impossible without one.

M.S

Edited by Mysterious Stranger

• 2 months later...
Guest lucylou
I've got a G1 (unlocked) and using an orange sim. As long as you put in the APN settings (needed at phone start to sync google) then market place will be fine. I've downloaded loads of apps and also already had one ver the air update. It all works so well and the phone is absolutely great!

Any problems feel free to PM me.

Hey i have just brought a g1 and unlocked it. i am using an orange sim card. i was just wondering whether you had the APN settings which i could put into the phone.

Thanks