ROM Building for Dummies (i900) using SYOK

Guest shokka9

Guest shokka9

Building ROMs for Dummies (i900 Omnia). See attached file for full guide

Requirements

.net framework 1.1 SP1; http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

.net framework 2.0 SP1; http://www.microsoft.com/Downloads/details...;displaylang=en

.net framework 3.5 SP1; http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

MV C++ 2005 redistributable; http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

MV C++ 2008 redistributable; http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Sztupy's SYOK, seen as his mercurial is not working anymore.....:rolleyes:

Part 1 - http://www.mediafire.com/?monieznminm

Part 2 - http://www.mediafire.com/?qimxqyy1mxz

Part 3 - http://www.mediafire.com/?glz2ztyny1m

Part 4 - http://www.mediafire.com/?quwtm5lknmj

Part 5 - http://www.mediafire.com/?ymjjbjtvtyg

You can use Windows Vista,XP or 7 (like me :( ) to build ROMs, but flashing is for XP (we all know :( ) I only installed one dll file in Windows 7 to begin cooking. On XP you need all the above, read the guide. :)

Also, if you get any errors during this process, it is recommended that you start a fresh with a clean kitchen. Always wash your hands and take pride in your hygiene.

Reqirements

An official or unofficial standard ROM

SYOK from here....

http://winmo.sztupy.hu/syok.html

Select SYOK downloader and start reading the guide....

Enjoy and thanks to PaSSoA, Sztupy, sector, qbus, lastnikita, Lufeig & Secany. Also, to any others who also created software used or contributed to these projects. Big respect & Thanx from Shokka!

I hope this helps, if you have everything ready (installed) you should not get any errors. If you do, post them in the threads and you will get help (hopefully).

Good luck.

Building_ROMs_for_Dummies__i900_.doc

Edited by shokka9

looks nice. I'd add links to the requirements, and put some information about what happens when things go wrong. (for example when you use extract_exe you might end up with an error under the XIP extraction. This means you forgot to install .NET 3.5, etc.) Also there should be things like, check warnings.log and messages.log after running my app, to check whether they did the things you wanted, or not.

Nice job though! I could only find some minor errors :rolleyes:

Guest shokka9
looks nice. I'd add links to the requirements, and put some information about what happens when things go wrong. (for example when you use extract_exe you might end up with an error under the XIP extraction. This means you forgot to install .NET 3.5, etc.) Also there should be things like, check warnings.log and messages.log after running my app, to check whether they did the things you wanted, or not.

Nice job though! I could only find some minor errors :rolleyes:

I did mention to check the warnings etc, but will put in bold..Also...not many errors expereinced, so can't really say. Can you post a little something??

Will update asap, been really busy. Not even had time to play with HL2 yet.... :(

Thanks Sztupy, stop following me to my other site.... :)

Edited by shokka9

I did mention to check the warnings etc, but will put in bold..Also...not many errors expereinced, so can't really say. Can you post a little something??

Will update asap, been really busy. Not even had time to play with HL2 yet.... :)

Thanks Sztupy, stop following me to my other site.... :rolleyes:

Here are some:

• Now drag the ROM onto ExtractROM_exe.cmd (for exe updaters). If you have a .bin file, drag it onto ExtractROM_bin.cmd. Same principles…..

ExtractROM_bin is there if you have multiple bin files. If so, rename them to "eboot.nb0", "pda.bin", "csc.bin" and "phone.bin", and simply run extractROM_bin. no need to drag anything to it, but the renaming has to be done.

You end up with the highlighted (extra) files…

Check the result of your command prompt. If for example you see an error below the "Extracting XIP" part, then you forgot to install .NET 3.5 and/or forgot to restart your computer. If you get some other error (excluding "can not find compression signature, which is NOT an error), then you probably forgot to install some of the requirements and/or forgot to restart the computer.

Add apps that you wish, but you need to package them etc for them to work in the ROM. If this is new to you (as it is to me), then Google is your friend.

it's here: http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index.php?p...kage%20Tutorial

After creating the packages copy them to the OEM folder. After that they should appear in the BuildOs application later

21. Now type the following command ‘i900Tool.exe –p YOURROMHERE.exe’ press enter; see below…….you should get the same messages back…(four of)

Alternatively you may use i900_executor to create your EXE file. eXecutor seems ot be better, because it can handle large CSC files. Run i900_eXecutor, select EXE/Assemble, and load yout ebbot.nb0, pda.bin (or newrom.bin), customer.csc and phone.bin. You don't have to select a multilang file. Then press GO. It will create a new EXE. After your first ROM updater, you can also skip the PHONE part, so it won't get updated. (it's not a problem, because you only have to update it once, and it takes a lot of time to update)

I think that's all for now.

Guest shokka9

Thanks Sztupy.

I not a pro...yet! This is what we need, don't know if the saying 'Too many cooks spoil the broth' applies, but people, please take care and we obviously are not responsible for bricked Omnia's.

If you do not get errors, there isnt much that can go wrong, but like i said, i aint no pro. Just made the guide for myself, as an easy refer back to doc. Thing is, after you have done it a few times, its very easy!

Big thanx to everyone involved!

Guest PsyM0nkey

Quick question, cause im new to my omnia and windows mobile and all this rom stuff...:rolleyes:

Im in South Africa and have a version on my omnia called JCHH1.

As far as I gather, that is the latest update from Samsungs site.

So my question(s) is...

It it possible to add any of the cooked roms available on this site (i have my eyes on the clean DXHL2) easily on to my South African Omnia? Regardless if it was originally a JC region?

Or would i have to manually dump my original JC rom, and clean it up myself?

Would that be the only way to load up a clean rom on my omnia?

(sorry again for the noob questions, but like i said, im new, yet I hope to get knowledgable soon..:) )

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Quick question, cause im new to my omnia and windows mobile and all this rom stuff... :rolleyes:

Im in South Africa and have a version on my omnia called JCHH1.

As far as I gather, that is the latest update from Samsungs site.

So my question(s) is...

It it possible to add any of the cooked roms available on this site (i have my eyes on the clean DXHL2) easily on to my South African Omnia? Regardless if it was originally a JC region?

Or would i have to manually dump my original JC rom, and clean it up myself?

Would that be the only way to load up a clean rom on my omnia?

(sorry again for the noob questions, but like i said, im new, yet I hope to get knowledgable soon.. :) )

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Putting an unofficial rom to an official rom is easy, and it will work. Putting an official rom on an uniffical rom is harder. So if you don't mind losing your JCHH1 ROM, feel free to update it with any of the custom ROM's, but if this is your first update then you should use secany's half-official ROM's first (DXHK3 if you want stability, or DZHL2 if you want a lot of features)

Guest PsyM0nkey
Putting an unofficial rom to an official rom is easy, and it will work. Putting an official rom on an uniffical rom is harder. So if you don't mind losing your JCHH1 ROM, feel free to update it with any of the custom ROM's, but if this is your first update then you should use secany's half-official ROM's first (DXHK3 if you want stability, or DZHL2 if you want a lot of features)

Thanks sztupy for your awesomely quick reply.:rolleyes:

Yip, this will be my first update and attempt at adding a new rom. I hear how risky it can be, and seeing at how much im loving my Omnia right now, Id hate to brick her by any chance...:( But Im also very keen to free up memory and remove unneccasary applications i dont use, and improve my battery life... So Im going to take a plunge into this rom business soon.

So if i understand correctly, I will have no trouble installing/updating my omnia with one of Secanys clean DXHK3 rom on my phone as long as i follow the steps?

Secondly, if the shite hits the fan at some stage, is there a way to dump my original JC rom for backup purposes? ( i cant seem to find the original JC rom on Samsungs website to download..)

Thanks for your help so far. Greatly appreciated. :) Helping me make the most of my new phone!

Edited by PsyM0nkey

Great tutorial - thank you!

One issue though:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

E:\_Kitchen>i900Tool.exe -p JackHL2Full.exe

E:\_Kitchen\EBoot.NB0 is packed complete.

E:\_Kitchen\PDA.BIN is packed complete.

E:\_Kitchen\PHONE.BIN is packed complete.

CSC.BIN part is missing! I use HL2 ROM to play with the cooking.

I know i900_Executor is workaround but I suggest to add this workaround to your tutorial.

Guest shokka9
Great tutorial - thank you!

One issue though:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

E:\_Kitchen>i900Tool.exe -p JackHL2Full.exe

E:\_Kitchen\EBoot.NB0 is packed complete.

E:\_Kitchen\PDA.BIN is packed complete.

E:\_Kitchen\PHONE.BIN is packed complete.

CSC.BIN part is missing! I use HL2 ROM to play with the cooking.

I know i900_Executor is workaround but I suggest to add this workaround to your tutorial.

To get around that i used i900_EXEcutor to build a full ROM.

I had HL2 in parts, renamed them all to the relevant parts (PDA.BIN, PHONE.BIN, CSC.BIN, eboot.nb0) made a full ROM, then extracted using the guide.

Did you have a customer.csc part?

I have added a section at the end of the guide to walk you through i900EXEcutor, so you can either build a ROM from parts and flash it as an exe file; or build a ROM to put through the kitchen and to customise it etc. I like to use exe files to build my custom ROMS.

I hope it helps anyway.

Take care

Edited by shokka9

To get around that i used i900_EXEcutor to build a full ROM.

I had HL2 in parts, renamed them all to the relevant parts (PDA.BIN, PHONE.BIN, CSC.BIN, eboot.nb0) made a full ROM, then extracted using the guide.

Did you have a customer.csc part?

I know the workaround (i900_EXEcutore) and it worked for me. 

Modified customer.csc file was renamed to csc.bin and moved to main ROM directory.

Guest enumaelis

Hi shokka9,

u used your nice guide to try to prepare my first cooked rom using DZHL2. I used syakr last version (0.9) and i900Executor 1.5. I simply removed lot of stuff and only updated via the new syakr netcf. All goes well except when i drag OS.nb on BuildROM. Instead of having a newrom.bin file BuildROM creates a temp folder with all th stuff inside.

What is wrong?

EnumaElis

Added later: found the problem: an error in the dos prompt. Now works ok

Sorry

Edited by enumaelis

Shokka9

I see from your "Building ROMS for Dummies" document you are putting together ROMS with different PDA and PHONE parts. Is the HL2 phone better than HK3 and is the HL2 PDA part no good in your experience?

Thanks for a great "how to" document. :rolleyes:

Guest shokka9
Shokka9

I see from your "Building ROMS for Dummies" document you are putting together ROMS with different PDA and PHONE parts. Is the HL2 phone better than HK3 and is the HL2 PDA part no good in your experience?

Thanks for a great "how to" document. :rolleyes:

The document is there for people to use. It took me a while and some help from Sztupy, but i did it and put the guide together for reference really. But after you have done it a few times, it's fairly straight forward.

As for different parts with a ROM. To be honest, i had heard that HL2 PDA (with all the widgets, and different stuff) did not work fully with syakr, so i just used the HK3 one as this was a known stable fast part of the phone.

When i try to make ROM, i try to use best that is available, be it PDA or Phone part. Generally it is ideal to keep the newer phone part and use the most stable known PDA part, as this is the bit we actually play with.

I used the HL2/HL3 for a little while and it was fine. Now i use both HL2 parts, as i now have it clean with no widgets etc.

I am finding that the HL2 pda part is less stable than the HK3 pda, i may revert back to HK3? I have had more episodes with this ROM, nothing major, just little bugs which i have never had on any ROM. But it is known to be buggy.

Hope that helps you understand? :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mistwalker

Great tut, but I think I might have missed some important part?

For instance, how can SztupY's automated kitchen know where my Customer_CSC folder is? Since you never tell the program where to look for it? I have just the program and the Customer_CSC folder in the same folder.

And I choose to remove a lot from the phone, plus upgrading to CF Net 3.5 and FLash lite 3.1.

But the only files I end up with are:

FingerMouse.exe

GPS_XTRA.exe

CSCConfig.reg

CSCConfig.xml

So my new CSC is only 158kb large. I think that's strange, okay, the program takes a lot of space. But going from 8Mb to 158kb?

And the only errors I get is "was not found" errors for _opera-armv4i.dll when trying to remove the widgets and few not found for the Panes FS. Everything else seems to be fine according to the output.

Am I doing something wrong or could it be that the new CSC is to be 158kb?

I choose to remove the following:

Connected Home

Dice

Digital Frame

Favorite Settings

Games

Google Launcher

Google Maps

GyPSII

Infrared drivers

Installed games

Main Menu

Media Album

Opera

Panes FS

Photoslides

Podcasts

RSS Reader

Sample Music & Ringtones

Samsung Clock

Samsung Today 1

Samsung Today 2

Samsung Widget (DX / HL2)

Useless tests

~ files

Touch Player

Transcriber

Wallpapers

Welcome Center

Windows Live

Windows Update

Zoomer

I added (from install menu):

HTCemu DLL files

Manila 2D Update 19b

PIM Backup v2.8

Pocket Total Commander

Tegic XT9 Black

And I updated

.NET CE to 3.5

Flash Lite to 3.1

I have flashed my phone with Secanys latest ROM which is i900DXIA1/DXHL3.

Am I doing things right here, I don't think so?

Thanks for any help at all :)

Great tut, but I think I might have missed some important part?

For instance, how can SztupY's automated kitchen know where my Customer_CSC folder is? Since you never tell the program where to look for it? I have just the program and the Customer_CSC folder in the same folder.

The default folder where i900 eXecutor extracts the CSC is Customer_CSC, so it'll look there for it.

And I choose to remove a lot from the phone, plus upgrading to CF Net 3.5 and FLash lite 3.1.

But the only files I end up with are:

FingerMouse.exe

GPS_XTRA.exe

CSCConfig.reg

CSCConfig.xml

So my new CSC is only 158kb large. I think that's strange, okay, the program takes a lot of space. But going from 8Mb to 158kb?

And the only errors I get is "was not found" errors for _opera-armv4i.dll when trying to remove the widgets and few not found for the Panel FS. Everything else seems to be fine according to the output.

Am I doing something wrong or could it be that the new CSC is to be 158kb?

That's fine. Online widgets and PanelFS take a LOT of space, and Streamingplayer takes even more space (but that was moved to the PDA in the latest IA1). And don't worry, most of the tasks are tested by a lot of people by today, so they should be working fine. If you get a lot of free space, then simply be happy about it! :)

I have flashed my phone with Secanys latest ROM which is i900DXIA1/DXHL3.

Am I doing things right here, I don't think so?

Thanks for any help at all :D

if you managed to flash your newly created ROM to the phone, and it boots, and it works fine, then you did everything right. Don't worry about removing too much applications though. As long as the eboot part is sent to the phone in one piece you can always revert back to something official like secany's ROM's. And the kitchen tools (including SYAKR) does nothing to the eboot part, so that shouldn't change, no matter what you delete/modify in the kitchen.

Guest Mistwalker

Damn, that was a fast answer, barley had time for one episode of CSI :)

I haven't flashed my phone with my new ROM yet. Was too scared since the CSC ended up with 158kb :D

But I will do the rest and try to flash it asap. Thanks for clearing up my headache with the new and very small CSC!

But now I got a new "error".

As you can see I added the .NET CE 3.5, but when I drag my OS.nb to BuildROM.cmd, the only app I see is manila 2D Update 19b.

I should be able to see:

HTCemu DLL files

Manila2D Update 19b

PIM Backup v2.8

Pocket Total Commander

Tegic XT9 Black

and

Update .NET CE to 3.5

Update Flash Lite to 3.1

Or am I wrong?

And still I can only see the Manila 2D app, how come?

I've read that you need to add "packages", never did that (thought that everything that is "checkable" are in included). But at the same time, I never added Manila 2D either. I just checked the box to install it in the automater.

Searched for threads on how it works with packages, haven't found anything, or maybe I'm entering the wrong search strings?

Damn, that was a fast answer, barley had time for one episode of CSI :)

I haven't flashed my phone with my new ROM yet. Was too scared since the CSC ended up with 158kb :D

But I will do the rest and try to flash it asap. Thanks for clearing up my headache with the new and very small CSC!

But now I got a new "error".

As you can see I added the .NET CE 3.5, but when I drag my OS.nb to BuildROM.cmd, the only app I see is manila 2D Update 19b.

I should be able to see:

HTCemu DLL files

Manila2D Update 19b

PIM Backup v2.8

Pocket Total Commander

Tegic XT9 Black

and

Update .NET CE to 3.5

Update Flash Lite to 3.1

Or am I wrong?

And still I can only see the Manila 2D app, how come?

I've read that you need to add "packages", never did that (thought that everything that is "checkable" are in included). But at the same time, I never added Manila 2D either. I just checked the box to install it in the automater.

Searched for threads on how it works with packages, haven't found anything, or maybe I'm entering the wrong search strings?

Not all extra applications are made as "packages". Most of the tasks simply copy those files, as if they were OEM applications, so there will be no trace in BuildOs. M2D is the only real package from those tasks, so that's why only that shows up.

Guest arunachalam

As per your instruction I tried with DZHL5,every thing smooth And after command prompt exe got ready.but that size is only 35.5mb.I flashed to my phone eboot downloaded and csc update finished.no pda and phone loading.15 minutes waiting then remove the batterry and again installed and switch on.phone ok with existing rom and changes because of csc update.then I check my rom with i900 executor phone bin size is zero.and I unable to edit csc for version.I could not find rgu file.PLease give suggestions and help,further how to add other applications.Thanking you.

Guest rendeiro2005
Building ROMs for Dummies (i900 Omnia). See attached file, could not get images up properly....

Requirements

.net framework 1.1 SP1; http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

.net framework 2.0 SP1; http://www.microsoft.com/Downloads/details...;displaylang=en

.net framework 3.5 SP1; http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

MV C++ 2005 redistributable; http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

MV C++ 2008 redistributable; http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

You can use Windows Vista or Windows XP, however, flashing the Omnia is easier with XP. But also building ROM is easier in Vista. I am using XP for both building and flashing.

Also, if you get any errors during this process, it is recommended that you start afresh with a clean kitchen. Always wash your hands and take pride in your hygiene.

I have added a section at the end to guide people through i900EXEcutor and making an exe updater ROM, so you can either flash it staright away, or run through the kitchen to customise it.

Ingredients

The i900 ROM Kitchen (from PaSSoA’s thread); http://www.modaco.com/content/i9x0-omnia-r...ook-custom-rom/

Sztupy’s Automation app V3.1 (from Sztupy’s thread); http://www.modaco.com/content/i9x0-omnia-r...ng-dxhl2-tasks/

i900 EXEcutor 1.5; http://www.modaco.com/content/i9x0-omnia-r...-edit-csc-part/

An unofficial/standard ROM (I used HK3, but also HK2 and HL2 – for Sztupy’s to work).

Enjoy and thanks to PaSSoA, Sztupy, Lufeig & Secany. Also, to any others who also created software used or contributed to these projects. Big respect & Thanx from Shokka!

Now you know how to extract a ROM and repack it. I have done it a few times, and have already mixed it up (as you can see from last image), I have made a HL2 Phone and a HK3 PDA ROM.

It’s actually quicker to do this than to flash your Omnia, so be careful and take your time to understand what you are doing.

I hope this helps, if you have everything ready (installed) you should not get any errors. If you do, post them in the threads and you will get help.

Good luck.

Hi shokka9,

I`m trying to build my first rom (for now a portuguese one).

I follow all the steps included in you *.doc file but when i try to build ROM with OS.nb file allways get the same error "error, last status: "creating initiflashfiles.dat..." ".

i`ve installed all the programs you described, but....

thank`s

Ricardo

hi my frind

i do the steps in your doc. but somthing is wrong when i drag the os.nb to the buildrom and press the green triangular with check NET 3.5 and i wait some seconds it said DONE ، but no new rom . there is onle temp file look the picture :

b3dd70b695.jpg

and i have more Q: what is the different between buildrom and makerom.cmd in kitchen.

the last Q: what about the room i downloaded from samsung web site look for these icon :

94f4008a46.jpg

it came with out .7z ، you think that is normal

thank you for help me

Edited by k3bol

hi my frind

i do the steps in your doc. but somthing is wrong when i drag the os.nb to the buildrom and press the green triangular with check NET 3.5 and i wait some seconds it said DONE ، but no new rom . there is onle temp file look the picture :

b3dd70b695.jpg

and i have more Q: what is the different between buildrom and makerom.cmd in kitchen.

the last Q: what about the room i downloaded from samsung web site look for these icon :

it came with out .7z ، you think that is normal

thank you for help me

1. you have to close the BuildOs window after it says done

2. MakeROM doesn't do the packaging, you shoudln't use it.

3. .7z is a 7-zip file. Check http://www.7-zip.org/