Best deal for Touch HD

Guest gazbert

Guest gazbert

Time to ditch the Vario III and get the HD.

Not fussed about the network. Just want a 200-300 of minutes, 300-500 texts and 500mb + data allowance for £35 or under. Preferably getting the Touch HD for free.

What's the best deal out there currently?

Guest pbarclay
Check out the deals at www.mobiles.co.uk, got mine on o2 for free from there. Don't forget quidco for £40 cashback!

I have just bought my Touch HD from mobiles.co.uk and am awaiting delivery next week. In their latest e-mail, Mobile.co.uk have stated the following:

To earn £50 by referring friends to our website, simply send them the link below. Every contract phone we send out will earn you a £50 cheque!

http://www.mobiles.co.uk/refer.aspx?refer=cust661625

If you are unclear on how this process works, please follow the link below, which should answer any questions you may have.

http://www.mobiles.co.uk/mobile-phone-recommend-a-friend.html

If anyone fancies doing this, I would more than happy to split the £50 and send them a personal cheque for £25 when my mobiles.co.uk cheque arrives! After all, that's what friends are for [in the very loose, "Facebook" style definition of a friend being someone who has clicked on a hotlink that you posted on a website]!!

In the meantime, I hope the Touch HD is as good as it should be and that I can get it to run all of the software currently residing on the Touch Dual.

After months of deliberation and mucho searching for deals, I opted for one I discovered here on Modaco only this evening. :)

http://www.mobiles.co.uk/o2-htc-touch-hd.html

O2 600

(18 months) 600 mins Any Network Anytime + Unlimited Texts

£35.00

5 months 1/2 price

The site says in stock and stock due end of January. I hope it's the former. :)

I didn't really want an 18 month contract, but there wasn't much else available. I went via Quidco, so hopefully £40 cashback. Oh, and I used the promo code for the Jabra BT kit thingie. Thanks Modaco! :P

I'll probably attempt to swap the texts for internet, I hope that 'magic number' works. ;)

lol. I've been writing my reply over the last 20 minutes (multi-tasking) and your reply has just appeared. Oh well, I doubt I could have gone via Quidco AND your referral link as well. :D

Edited by sponge

Guest blackhorse
pbarclay: note that people using your referral link will not be able to get the £40 quidco for themselves!

Ordered mine from Orange website, coming tomorrow

Paying £21 a month for 600 mins, unlimited texts on a 24 month contract.

Phone is free,

Used a friends and family code.

Quidco tracked for £60

Giving the simcard to a friends to use as already got my own

Edited by blackhorse

Guest gazbert

Cheers. Just got it from Mobiles.co.uk. o2 600 mins, 500 text, unlimited web (just rang o2 to swap from unlimited text to unlimited web) £35 a month and phone free. It's one sweet device!

Guest TescoValueTariffNoMore
Ordered mine from Orange website, coming tomorrow

Paying £21 a month for 600 mins, unlimited texts on a 24 month contract.

Phone is free,

Used a friends and family code.

Quidco tracked for £60

Giving the simcard to a friends to use as already got my own

That sounds like a great deal - are you paying anything up front for the handset and did you get the deal as a new or existing customer?

Guest mgalvin

The cheapest I've found it for after months of searching and watching is www.mobiles.co.uk

Orange: Dolphin 30, 12 Months, Phone £109

Quidco: £40

TCO: = £429

Unless something else pops up in the next few weeks.... I'm going for that.

Anyone seen anything better for new customers ?

Matt.

:) My phone arrived at 0650hrs! :D I've just got off the phone with O2 (used the 'magic number') and the nice lady changed my bolt-on. She said it would take effect from 26th February - a month from today I guess.

I just need to cancel the insurance and support packages mobiles.co.uk include free for the first month. :)

Edited by sponge

Guest mutleyboy

just be extra vigilant with mobile.co.uk

up until now I would have had no worries dealing with them.

I ordered an omnia on contract from them in november, they wanted extra details from me for the credit check, had to fax over copies of bank statements etc, which I found strange as never had anything like this before, got 2 contracts running already, few credit cards and a loan, all always paid on time etc, my credit score is very good too according to both experian and equifax, plus the day after ordering this contract I ordered one with another company which all went through no problems, so Im a bit wary about their processing methods.

Anyway, omnia wasnt for me so I returned it and cancelled contract.

Now late december I ordered a touch HD on contract from them, had an email saying phone was out of stock, and they would let me know when back in and no charge would be made until it came in stock. I replied asking them to cancel the order then so I could get it elsewhere as I dont like waiting :) Had a reply from them saying it was all cancelled etc (thankfully I have kept all these emails).

Had my credit card statement the other day, guess what, got bank charges now for being over my credit limit as mobiles.co.uk have taken the £109.99 for the touch HD even though the order was cancelled ages ago, and they didnt have the phone in stock.

Not happy, have emailed them stating this and that I want my money back and the bank charges being paid as it specifically says in my email from them that the money would not go out for the phone. Still awaiting a reply after 2 days, will be phoning them up tomorrow otherwise will have to take my complaint further.

/rant over

Do you know the easiest method by which to cancel those mobiles.co.uk bits?

I'm looking into it. There was nothing with the phone detailing either policy.

However, I have just received an email regarding the Phone Care policy. There is an attached pdf document. I'll post again after I've read it.

Edit #1:

This is the main body of the email:

Dear Sir

Relax - We're with you all the way

Thanks for choosing Phone Care from mobiles.co.uk. We're happy to say that your new phone is now fully insured against theft and accidental damage. And as an added bonus, your first month of cover is absolutely free.

Your policy pack is here

Everything you need is in your pack. We have also attached your policy documents. To access these just click on the links below. Please remember to keep a copy of these documents, either by saving them to your hard drive or printing them off. You will need them if you ever need to make a claim.

• Your Cost of Cover document

• Your Certificate

You'll notice that the policy is managed by mobiles.co.uk's parent company, The Carphone Warehouse Limited. So, whenever we refer to 'we', we mean The Carphone Warehouse Limited. We are acting as an agent for the insurer of the policy, Norwich Union Insurance Limited.

Help - If you need to make a claim

You can find all the information and numbers you need to make a claim on page 4 of the booklet attached on the above link. Don't forget, if your phone has been stolen you need to:

• Let your network provider know within 24 hours

• Report it to the police within 48 hours and get your crime reference number

• Contact us.

If you've any questions about your policy, get in touch with us at www.carphonewarehouse.com/insurance or call 0870 111 7002. We'll be glad to help. (We may record or monitor calls to prevent fraud and improve our service.)

Enjoy your new phone!

John Hunter

UK Insurance Director

The Carphone Warehouse Ltd

Statement of demands & needs Phone Care meets the demands and needs of those who wish to insure their mobile phone against theft, accidental damage and take advantage of the one month free insurance period. mobiles.co.uk did not provide you with a personal recommendation on this insurance product.

I'm hoping a simple email will suffice. If not, a phone call. I may back it all up with a letter, recorded delivery.

Edit #2:

The policy document provides this link to cancel your policy:

www.carphonewarehouse.com/cancelapolicy

It fowards you to the CPW 'Contact Us' form. Drop down menus allow you to select cancellation.

Hope it helps.

Edited by sponge

Guest gazbert

Many thanks. Have now cancelled the policy.

I found you cancel the gadgethelpline by going to their web site. Then there's a tiny tiny link right at the bottom of the page you can use to cancel.

Guest FORCEFOXFIVE

Got mine coming tommorrow!

Long and short...offered FREE HD, £50 credited to Orange a/c, on Racoon 25 (WEB???)@£15x18months; 300mins & 100txts & £5month Unlimited ((can remove and add for duration of contract)) ( :) ) browsing...and kept my £5 Orange Care. Also, took off my itemised billing as I can check my account online. (inc. VAT £28.75, saving £23.25 on my regular monthly bill :P :(

Trying to track my order and I get some other blokes, ''Steve'', order from July 2008 ;) ?!? Ahh well.. I got 7 days to change my mind :D

EDIT-received [email protected] tracking took ages to update but it finally did friday morning. There will be a list of other deliveries with the same code as yours but have different ref. numbers. Just click your post-code. And there was me thinking Orange have failed again :)

Edited by FORCEFOXFIVE

Guest pbarclay

Thanks for the information. My only slight worry is that the last time I ended up with a deal that included free phone insurance for a month, I cancelled the policy and within days of doing so, managed to destroy my phone (by carrying in a plastic bag that contained a leaking water bottle!). I had fended off quite a few phone calls but needless to say, once my phone had been turned into a soggy, shortcircuiting brick, nobody wanted to help! Very irritating, because all of my previous PDAs since 1993 were retired/sold/given away in perfect working order.

I am delighted with Touch HD - I can't believe it is smaller than my old Loox 720 yet has all these amazing phone and GPS features built in. The GPS alone is great - it picked up 12 satellites today, even more than my external Qstarz Bluetooth GPS. Unlike the amazingly inflated values attributed to some contract phones (£300 for a Nokia that you can buy PAYG for £50), the Touch HD definitely feels worth £500. In which case, maybe it deserves some proper insurance!

What do people think and is there a decent deal out there that doesn't cost £96/year?

Guest FORCEFOXFIVE
Thanks for the information. My only slight worry is that the last time I ended up with a deal that included free phone insurance for a month, I cancelled the policy and within days of doing so, managed to destroy my phone (by carrying in a plastic bag that contained a leaking water bottle!). I had fended off quite a few phone calls but needless to say, once my phone had been turned into a soggy, shortcircuiting brick, nobody wanted to help! Very irritating, because all of my previous PDAs since 1993 were retired/sold/given away in perfect working order.

I am delighted with Touch HD - I can't believe it is smaller than my old Loox 720 yet has all these amazing phone and GPS features built in. The GPS alone is great - it picked up 12 satellites today, even more than my external Qstarz Bluetooth GPS. Unlike the amazingly inflated values attributed to some contract phones (£300 for a Nokia that you can buy PAYG for £50), the Touch HD definitely feels worth £500. In which case, maybe it deserves some proper insurance!

What do people think and is there a decent deal out there that doesn't cost £96/year?

Does your bank provide free insurance on your phone? I think most of them do depending on what type of current account you have. Barclays provide this service but trying to make a claim is like trying to squeeze blood from a stone! :) £6 a month doesnt seem too bad, especially when you get a phone the next day and for £15 ''administration'' fee....? I think T-Mob charge £25 for their ''admin'' fee, not sure about the others...

Your damned if you do, and damned if you don't :D

Guest mutleyboy

as a follow up to my woes with mobiles.co.uk, I eventually heard back from them and they assured me my order for the touch HD had been cancelled and they have no record of taking money from me, so I have had to fax them a copy of my credit card statement over to prove they have taken the money. Shocks me that they can have no record of charging me and are refusing to do anything to help until seeing my statement, shocking customer service and will never go anywhere near them again.

Unsurprisingly, 2 days since faxing the statement over and I have had no reply :)

A quick question about mobiles.co.uk cashback:

This is part of the T&Cs:

Cashback is subject to you remaining on the original tariff with the original handset(s) and mobile number(s) connected (or Ported) for at least the minimum term (12 , 18 or 24 months) of the contract you signed up to. All monthly bills from the Network must be paid in full and on time. The terms and conditions on this page only apply to orders placed on or after 23rd August 2007. Previous T&Cs are available here for orders before this date.

The bit in bold confuses me. I didn't port a number when I took out the contract. But I plan to do so in a few months, when I've spent all the credit on my old phone. Does this mean I'll screw up my cashback?

Guest mutleyboy

you wont be able to port in at a later date from what mobiles have told me in the past.

They only allow you to port in at time of purchase, even though if you went direct with the network themselves you can port in later.

And I still have not heard anything back from them regarding the money they have wrongfully taken from me, emailed them again this morning now.

Tempted to just let my bank claim the money back

Guest catnono

I have ordered it from mobiles.co.uk, but was told it is out of stock. They just don't bother to update the stock information on their webpage.

Will wait for a few more days.

In case it's of use to others - I contacted O2 and they confirmed it was fine to port in an existing number at any time during your contract. As long as you have a valid PAC number (30 days).

I emailed mobiles.co.uk and they have told me it's also ok to port an existing number whenever you like. It won't effect any cashback claims either, as long as you remain on the same tariff they're happy.

Edited by sponge