Has anyone got GoogleMaps My Location to work without GPS?

Guest Dark Horse

Guest Dark Horse

Morning all,

Has anyone ever got the My Location feature of Google Maps to work without using a GPS? I've currently got version 3.0.0.2 of Google Maps installed on an app unlocked, SIM free Samsung i600 on Orange and it consistently returns Your current location is temporarily unavailable regardless of whatever part of the UK I try it in.

Have also enabled the 3G setting via the admin tool (see here) which didn't make any difference and checking the myl field under Help - About in Google Maps shows that it's not picking up any mast locations. Haven't tried it with another SIM yet but other Orange handsets seem to work fine, as do other i600's on other networks.

I'm thinking it might be something to do with either my SIM (it's about 6 years old :)) or some kind of registry setting as I understand that the handset needs to be fully application unlocked for the My Location feature to work.

Am certain the handset is fully app unlocked but does anyone have a definitive set of registry entries to check for an i600? Failing that, are there any other apps that can be used to see if the cellphone mast coordinates are being picked up?

Regards,

Dark Horse

Guest Dark Horse

Right, I've now got an Orange 3G SIM in there and My Location is still not working :(

My Location *does* work though with my other Orange 3G SIM in a BlackBerry 8320 so it looks like it might be the Google Maps software at fault.

Edited by Dark Horse

Guest Dark Horse

This link here says the Samsung i600, Moto Q and Palm Treo 700W don't support the necessary My Location API's for getting mast locations :(

Wonder how other users of i600's have managed it then!