MWC 2009: i-mate 'Project Centurion' set to become world's smallest Smartphone

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

lilimate.jpg

Check out this device, a pre-production device codenamed 'Project Centurion' from i-mate. Yes, it really IS that small. Yes, it really works... and yes i've played with a real life working unit!

The device - due later this year - features Windows Mobile 6.1 standard, HSDPA and a 2 Megapixel camera, powered by a 800mAh battery that is claimed to provide acceptable battery life taking into consideration the power savings gained by running a small screen.

At this early stage we don't have a lot more info about the device, but we'll definitely keep an eye on this one! Hats off to i-mate too for not just copying HTC et al and trying to do something different! :(

P

SANY0013.jpgSANY0022.jpg

Guest pd.ryder

Do they supply an i-stick for poking at the i-buttons with? Miniaturization has to stop *somewhere* - how are you supposed to operate that?

It's a bit silly if you ask me...

Guest Dark Horse

That's a peach of a handset and ticks all the right boxes: small, QWERTY keyboard and WinMob Std with no touch screen nonsense, this is a good contender for a next upgrade. Hope i-Mate manage to pull it all together after so many previous mediocre devices.

Oh, and classic matt black all the way :(

Edited by Dark Horse

Paul, did you get a chance to see the "Project Legionnaire" at the i-mate booth? This also looks quite interesting, even if it is a Pro phone. It is tinier even than my Touch Diamond, so they will have to have some significant finger optimizations (6.5?) if it is to be useable. ADVERT LINK REMOVED have a couple of pics:

showimage.php?m=Articles.Images&f=name&id=21447&v=thumbshowimage.php?m=Articles.Images&f=name&id=21446&v=thumb

Edit:

imates.png

Hmm... Curiouser and curiouser. WMPoweruser is now reporting that the Legionnaire is

a Windows Mobile 6.5 handset with modern specifications like WVGA screen, HSDPA, GPS, Bluetooth, WiFi, microSDHC slot etc and it is supposed to act also as a touchpad when you slide it in the Warrior.

So, what is the Warrior? Well they say it is

actually a very innovative device, as is it is basically a dock with a 10-inch XVGA screen, a dedicated battery, SD Card reader instead of a Hard Disk and an array of several ports, including HDMI. As for the for the task of providing processing power, this is up to second device that i-Mate revealed, the Legionnaire.

So, something like the Redfly but even more integrated? The estimated price is Warrior $199, Legionnaire $500.

More info at PocketLint. Including this very professional diagram:

NEWS-22376-65187b888f350f7b0ec1ae7943a71e30.jpg

Edited by ZSX

Guest Amplificator

That Legionnare looks pretty good too.

I like the size, however with a WVGA screen they really need to have some good inger-optimized menus like already mentioned or it will be too small to operate.

But i-mates new devices looks really good this time :(

Hmm, is it just me, or do these devices have the look of TechFaithWireless about them?

Note the type of silver gray plastic on both models - reminiscent of the Ubiquio 501/503 (and iMate JAQ) and the Toshiba G series.

For quality's sake, I hope not - but as they were a previous i-Mate ODM, I woudn't be surprised.

Guest Paul (MVP)

i-mate have ditched their previous ODM model and are designing all their models in house and getting them made by an engineering partner. They are not working with any of their previous ODMs as I understand it.

P

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.