The Official...Pantech Matrix PRO...'Ask Nick' Thread.

Guest nickcornaglia

Guest nickcornaglia
24-Feb-2009_Pantech_Matrix_Pro_black_front.png
Remember when Windows Standard Phones...better known as Windows Smartphones were the cat's pajamas amongst Windows Mobile users? Then everyone wanted touchscreen devices again and we Smartphone fans were left in the lurch!

HTC forgot about us. i-mate couldn't help us anymore (but that may change). Motorola said bye-bye to Smartphones or so I've read. Samsung has slowed showing new devices. In any case...Smartphones are few and far between.

But our hopeful white knight of WinMo Smartphones, Pantech, hasn't forgotten that everyone doesn't exactly want or need a touchscreen device. That you can have a powerful messaging/internet/pim/music/gaming/photo/video/more device without needing to smudge up your screen with fingerprints, pull out a stylus, or take your gloves off. (as long as they are really good fitting gloves).

INTRODUCING THE PANTECH MATRIX PRO (Windows Mobile Smartphone)...Available through AT&T!

The Pantech Matrix Pro is a dual-slider updated version of the Pantech Duo, and the PRO version of their similarly styled non-smartphone, messenger phone, The Pantech Matrix. (<-- Mobiholics Review).

Compared to it's older Smartphone cousin, the Duo, The Matrix PRO boasts many upgrades including:
- Windows Mobile 6.1
- GSM/GPRS/EDGE/UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA
- Frequency: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz (GSM/GPRS/EDGE); 850/1900/2100 MHz (UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA)
- Upgraded Memory: Memory: 256 MB ROM and 128 MB RAM
- aGPS
- BEAUTIFUL QVGA screen (320 x 240)
- 2MP Camera

Full Specs and Details can be found HERE

PRICING: $379.99 Off-Contract - $179.99 with 2yr Contract & Rebate....Available NOW!

The Pantech folks were kind enough to lend us a phone for review. And REVIEW we will. But in the meantime, if you have any questions...please feel free to ask them here. Also...enjoy a quick unboxing video I put together. (You can tell...I'm not a fan of unboxing videos! This is more representative of my true unboxing experiences.) :(

Guest nickcornaglia

First thoughts....

Looks are okay. I like them. Has a Sony-like feel. Much better looking than the original...thats for sure!

Screen is BEAUTIFUL looking. So clear and bright.

They still have their stupid proprietary sync/charge/headset jack. Though headpones are not included...they have kindly included an adaptor.

Phone is still thick and kind of heavy for a smaller device.

Keyboard is much nicer than the regular Matrix phone I think.

No cool apps....quite a few demos included....including Guitar Hero. Just like buying a Dell!

AT&T loves their java based programs for some reason. I hate them. There are programs written for the OS ya know!

But I digress...

Guest DarkWanderer

When I saw this just now I thought "great, when can I get one in the UK?" Then I read the bit about it using a proprietary sync/charge socket. That put me off right away since I use a QTek 8500 (HTC StrTrk) with it's custom socket which is a real pain (especially since they no longer make the mini usb adapter for them). Why do companies do this? Why not just stick to miniusb? It's so irritating having to carry multiple chargers/cables around.

Guest Wayne877

- Windows Mobile 6.1

- Frequency: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz (GSM/GPRS/EDGE); 850/1900/2100 MHz (UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA)

- aGPS

- 2MP Camera

Any idea what the screen size is?

Guest nickcornaglia
When I saw this just now I thought "great, when can I get one in the UK?" Then I read the bit about it using a proprietary sync/charge socket. That put me off right away since I use a QTek 8500 (HTC StrTrk) with it's custom socket which is a real pain (especially since they no longer make the mini usb adapter for them). Why do companies do this? Why not just stick to miniusb? It's so irritating having to carry multiple chargers/cables around.

Personally hate all proprietary plugs myself. They DID make this a hair better in that they included an adapter so you can use 3.5mm Headphones. Hopefully, with the news of many phone makers standardizing to microUSB...this will be a thing of the past.

Guest nickcornaglia
- Windows Mobile 6.1

- aGPS

- 2MP Camera

Any idea what the screen size is?

Measures out at 2.375" diagonal visible area.

Guest nickcornaglia
Nick, can you find out if the off-contract device is unlocked? Once the exchange rate recovers, $380 will be tempting :(

From experience with AT&T, they will unlock the phone with a simple phone call, but sometimes could take a few days to receive the code. I doubt it will be sold pre-unlocked out of the box. But I could still call and check.

• 8 months later...
Guest EricaJ1073
From experience with AT&T, they will unlock the phone with a simple phone call, but sometimes could take a few days to receive the code. I doubt it will be sold pre-unlocked out of the box. But I could still call and check.

First post here. Looking to get this phone on AT&T in the US. However, when I asked if the OS was upgradable on the AT&T forum, I got negative replies about the OS. Is it true that it WILL NOT be upgradable to anything beyond what it comes with??? If not, can someone give some advice on what phone will meet the following requirements? I'm looking to switch from T-Mobile US to a different carrier.

Dual or Single Slider Keyboard

WM 6.1>6.5 or 7.0 Upgradability

Battery Life

Memory (On-Board and MicroSDHC capacity)

Best Messaging Keyboard

Edited by EricaJ1073

• 11 months later...
Guest WMROMuser
24-Feb-2009_Pantech_Matrix_Pro_black_front.png
Remember when Windows Standard Phones...better known as Windows Smartphones were the cat's pajamas amongst Windows Mobile users? Then everyone wanted touchscreen devices again and we Smartphone fans were left in the lurch!

HTC forgot about us. i-mate couldn't help us anymore (but that may change). Motorola said bye-bye to Smartphones or so I've read. Samsung has slowed showing new devices. In any case...Smartphones are few and far between.

But our hopeful white knight of WinMo Smartphones, Pantech, hasn't forgotten that everyone doesn't exactly want or need a touchscreen device. That you can have a powerful messaging/internet/pim/music/gaming/photo/video/more device without needing to smudge up your screen with fingerprints, pull out a stylus, or take your gloves off. (as long as they are really good fitting gloves).

INTRODUCING THE PANTECH MATRIX PRO (Windows Mobile Smartphone)...Available through AT&T!

The Pantech Matrix Pro is a dual-slider updated version of the Pantech Duo, and the PRO version of their similarly styled non-smartphone, messenger phone, The Pantech Matrix. (<-- Mobiholics Review).

Compared to it's older Smartphone cousin, the Duo, The Matrix PRO boasts many upgrades including:

- Windows Mobile 6.1

- aGPS

- 2MP Camera

Full Specs and Details can be found HERE

PRICING: $379.99 Off-Contract - $179.99 with 2yr Contract & Rebate....Available NOW!

The Pantech folks were kind enough to lend us a phone for review. And REVIEW we will. But in the meantime, if you have any questions...please feel free to ask them here. Also...enjoy a quick unboxing video I put together. (You can tell...I'm not a fan of unboxing videos! This is more representative of my true unboxing experiences.) :)

<center><object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object></center>

Anyone have any custom ROMs for this phone?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.