HTC Maple (aka 'Snap') marks HTC's return to landscape QWERTY Smartphones

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)
htc-maple-cnet.png
After the wildly succesful HTC Excalibur (aka T-Mo Dash) and wildly underpromoted HTC Cavalier (aka who can really remember?) it looked like HTC had dropped out of the landscape QWERTY Smartphone market altogether... but fear not, they are BACK... with this - codenamed the 'HTC Maple'!

Seemingly leaked by CNet Germany, the Maple is packing a VERY nice looking offset QWERTY keyboard, and almost certainly includes 3G / HSDPA connectivity. The camera is a decidedly so-so 2 Megapixel affair, but as a pure hardcore messaging device, it looks like the Maple could well be the new benchmark. Regular readers will know i'm not a big fan of trackballs on devices, but i'm willing to reserve judgement... for now... :(

Any takers?

P

[Via: Engadget Mobile]

Guest nuttyphilt

Like it. This could tempt me away from my E71. The hardware of the E71 is great but S60 is so-so, WM Standard is much much better... Having had a QWERTY device for a while now I've tried to use a non-QWERTY device recently and I don't like it so this'll be perfect for me!

I'd wait too.

With no increase in screen resolution over the Excalibur, the maple doesn't offer a huge advance, especially if it is still running 6.1. I am also awaiting the Centurion.

Guest Dark Horse

Looks like a great keyboard, spacious and tactile plus the trackball is a definite bonus, the one on the BlackBerry is ace.

I'm sold and it's good to see that there's a market for WinMob Standard devices with keyboards and none of the fluff.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest frauhottelmann

It's a great device, but I like the slider phones more. It looked quite fast in the videos I saw.

I'd also love to try the trackball.

BTW: I am already cooking a ROM for the Vox with the SYS/OEM folder from a Snap...and it looks quite good.

Guest TigerNet
Like it. This could tempt me away from my E71. The hardware of the E71 is great but S60 is so-so, WM Standard is much much better... Having had a QWERTY device for a while now I've tried to use a non-QWERTY device recently and I don't like it so this'll be perfect for me!

I agree...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.