Bargainous bargains: 3G dongles - unlimited data for a fiver!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)
O2_E160_SD_Card2_main.png
A couple of bargains to share with you courtesy of HotUKDeals on 3G dongles.

The first is a '3' pay as you go dongle, which is now £29.35 from 3 Store [aff]. This includes a 3 PAYG SIM card, which you can use with the rather lovely £5 per month unlimited internet bundle, giving you quite problbably the cheapest mobile broadband access around! The card appears to be a white Hauwei model, the same as I actually own already, with an integrated microSD slot. Handy!

The second is an 'O2' pay as you go dongle, which now only £29.69 at the O2 web site. Again this is a Hauwei card with a microSD slot, however the bundles aren't as attractive with 3GB of data costing you £15 per month. There is a sweetener though - as detailed here, you can actually grab yourself £43.95 cashback via Quidco, leaving you in profit! :(

If you've spotted any other mobile broadband bargains, do let us know! B)

P

EDIT: A few people have asked me how you get the fiver unlimited internet deal, so i've captured a screenshot from 'My3' below. I have used this package extensively on 3G / HSDPA with no problems..

unlimited3-20090303-195454.jpg

Guest nigzsingh

Where can I find out about this £5 plan?? I've just been on 3's website and can't see a glimmer of an offer as enticing as that.

Guest fatbutcher

Its worth noting the conditions of the quidco cashback too which are....

"In order to receive cashback for PAYG Mobile Broadband you must top up with £15 within the first two months to receive your cashback."

Still a good deal, anyone know what model it is? I want one to connect to my Draytek router as a backup line.

Guest mwright
Is the Huawei E160G dongle. I also cannot find the £5 a month PAYG option.

Also Three themselves are selling the dongle a few pence cheaper than Maplin!

http://threestore.three.co.uk/payg/dealsum...ercode=DSLPP430

Has anyone found the £5 unlimited option yet?

I can find either:

Broadband Lite £10 1 GB

Broadband Plus £15 3 GB

Broadband Max £25 7 GB

Guest fatbutcher

Damn them!! Why can't they do a USB stick that supported by my router! ooooh, i'm soo demanding! :(

For those looking at the '3', theres £11 cash back available via quidco for PAYG Mobile Broardband.

Guest goodbrand

So would I be right in thinking that you have to buy the Modem stick, wait to recieve it then update your account once you have registered it online with three??

goto My3 and add the bundle pack to your account...

Guest pd.ryder

So -- can I buy the dongle, bung a fiver on it and stash it in case I want to use it? Or have I got to keep it ticking over by putting a fiver on every month? Or have I got this wrapped round my neck and its actually a £5/month contract thing?

Either way, its a spanking deal. I'd just like to know how it works :(

Guest oo03sjw

Damn it, brought the O2 one!

Can you guys help? Can I get hold of a 3 Sim and use it in the O2 dongle?

If so, what the best option to do this, PAYG wise on 3? Is there any free Sims etc?

Great site, like the new unboxing site as well.

Many thanks.

Guest Paul (MVP)
So would I be right in thinking that you have to buy the Modem stick, wait to recieve it then update your account once you have registered it online with three??

goto My3 and add the bundle pack to your account...

Correct...

P

Guest Paul (MVP)
So -- can I buy the dongle, bung a fiver on it and stash it in case I want to use it? Or have I got to keep it ticking over by putting a fiver on every month? Or have I got this wrapped round my neck and its actually a £5/month contract thing?

Either way, its a spanking deal. I'd just like to know how it works :(

A fiver top up lasts 30 days... You put credit on the account, then buy the addon when you need it and it's active for the next 30 days.

P

Guest Paul (MVP)
Damn it, brought the O2 one!

Can you guys help? Can I get hold of a 3 Sim and use it in the O2 dongle?

If so, what the best option to do this, PAYG wise on 3? Is there any free Sims etc?

Great site, like the new unboxing site as well.

Many thanks.

I would be interested to hear whether the O2 one is SIM locked - the 3 one is...

P

Guest skanna

Virgin PAYG are doing 30pence per day for 3g data. Much better reception than 3UK. Fair use policy of 25mb per day, plus it switches down to GPRS when reception is poor.(unlike 3UK).Uses T-mobile network.The sim may work in a dongle.

Guest rameses

I see on the 3 site they run a recommend a friend deal, where you get £15 credit for recommending someone and they get £15 too (if you got for mobile broadband or £30 for a phone).

So before I buy myself a dongle, does anyone who's already with 3 want £15?

PM me and I'll send you my details.

Guest Neil5459
3UK switches down to 2G now too.

P

Mine doesn't :( My modem can see the Orange signal when there's no 3 signal, but resolutely fails to connect, either in my XDA Flint, or Advent 4213.

Some people can get 3 PAYG SIMs to use Orange's 2G service in the absence of a 3 signal, others can't, and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme nor reason why!

Guest Paul (MVP)
Mine doesn't :( My modem can see the Orange signal when there's no 3 signal, but resolutely fails to connect, either in my XDA Flint, or Advent 4213.

Some people can get 3 PAYG SIMs to use Orange's 2G service in the absence of a 3 signal, others can't, and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme nor reason why!

How bizarre, I thought they fixed that! Is yours an old SIM or something?

P

Guest deadphill

I believe there is a thing called 3 like home.

Check here for details: http://threestoree.three.co.uk/Help_Suppor...ome_Pay_Monthly

One thing they do which is far better than all the other networks.... Vodafone has loads of networks in different countries, yet they still charge you more for using them. I applaud 3 for doing this.

Cheers

Phill