Play Lemmings on your Pocket PC

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)
lemmingshd.png
Retrogamingtastic... you can now play Lemmings on your Pocket PC (pictured here running on my Touch HD) courtesy of a Windows Mobile Lemmings engine port by Johannes Zeppenfeld! :(

Available for download in CAB form from Johannes' website, the engine requires a copy of the original DOS MAIN.DAT to use, but recreates the experience faithfully - including the catchy little ditties that you'll be humming all day :P

A full readme file is also available, an excerpt from which i've included below! B)

P

PS It's available for Windows XP too...

This is a beta version of Pocket Lemmings. As such, please do not mirror it so that I can easily make changes in the future without having to worry about updating multiple distributions spread across the net.

Feel free however to link to the most recent Pocket Lemmings version at

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~zeppenfe/files/PocketLemmings.cab

or, for the desktop version

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~zeppenfe/files/PocketLemmings.zip

If you downloaded (rather than linked to) this file from anywhere else, shame on the person who mirrored it...

The usual legal giberish applies, I am not responsible for these files damaging your computer, PDA, pet lemming, etc., so use this release at your own risk!

------------------------- SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS --------------------------

Windows CE
Windows Mobile 5 or 6 device
Touchscreen with 16-bit color
(May have issues on non-QVGA devices)

Windows XP
Should run on all modern versions of Windows with 32-bit color

----------------------------- INSTALLATION -----------------------------

Unfortunately due to copyright issues, this Pocket Lemmings distribution cannot include the main data file containing the core Lemmings graphics. You must provide this file yourself to prove that you own an official copy of Lemmings.

After installing PocketLemmings, simply copy the MAIN.DAT file from your official DOS Lemmings installation directory into the My Documents folder on your PDA. When you start PocketLemmings for the first time, select this file in the dialog that pops up and get ready to play!

------------------------------ GAME PLAY -------------------------------

This should be pretty self-explanatory to anyone familiar with Lemmings. I'll add more information for the final version.

-------------------------- CONFIGURATION MENU --------------------------

Pocket Lemmings boasts a large variety of configuration options, available through the configuration option on the main menu.

=== Hotkeys ===
Nav. U/D/L/R For use in various menus, down can also mean center
Scroll L/R Scroll the game screen in the corresponding direction
Select Choose the selection tool
Climber Select the corresponding skill
... ...
Nuke Press twice quickly to nuke level
Assign Hold down and click skill to assign it to selected lemming
Release +/- Increase or decrease the release rate
Select L/R Skills will be assigned only to left/right facing lemmings
Pause Pause the game
Fast Fwd Set the game to ludicrous speed
Turbo Temporarily increase game speed while key is held
Crawl Temporarily reduce game speed while key is held
Store Store current level state
Reload Reload most recently stored level state
Exit Exit to the next menu (or quit the game)

=== Sliders ===
Sound/Music Sound and music volume
Game Speed Speed at which the game will run
Scroll Speed Scroll speed when using hotkeys in the game
Mouse Sensit. Area around each lemming that will cause it to be selected
Max Fall Maximum number of pixels lemmings can safely drop, use 63

=== Options ===
Left Hand Rotate screen 180 degrees (PocketPC only)
Show All Lvls Show all levels in the main menu
Enforce Prog. Enforce level progression
Paused Assign Allow assignment of skills while paused
Selected Asgn Allow double-clicking skill to assign it to selected lemming
Keep Selected Keep lemming selected until manually deselected
Smart Select Pick out most likely nearby lemming for a certain skill

Guest andymaw

Doesn't work on my Touch HD. Very briefly showed a distorted image of something then screen went black and locked up, forcing a soft reset.

Guest SilentBob

I too tried this on my Touch HD. It work briefly on the 1st level, but the screen then went black. The game was still running as the music was playing & I could hear it responding to touch. But I couldn't get the screen back. I too had to soft reset.

Needs some work methinks.

Edit: Just gave it another try, and the screen went before I could even select anything from the main menu. I am now uninstalling it until a later, more stable version. Good effort though. Looking forward to a working version. :(

Edited by SilentBob

Guest DarkWanderer
I'd never bin my copy of Lemmings (that's the box in the picture, hehe)! :(

P

I only have an old Windows version but it doesn't have a main.dat file, it uses seperate folders for sounds etc. Very annoying I can't try this out!

EDIT: You can download the DOS game here : http://www.oldschooldos.com/lemmings.php

Edited by DarkWanderer

Guest mattbeale

Occasionally stutters on my Omnia (DXIA5). Also get the screen blacking (with soft-reset required) if I accidentally trigger the auto-rotate, but if I turn the g-sensor off it works fine. Thumbs up from me :(

Guest John Ericson

Thanks for your great work!

I had the same problems as mattbeale and SilentBob and can confirm that the problem is caused by software that rotates the screen when gyro is triggered.

To solve this I added an "Disable (Pocket Lemmings) event in my Gyro rotate program Gyrator 2. I programmed Gyrator to identify the program on the Windows Title: Lemmings and now it works perfectly.

Guest DarkWanderer
Thanks for the DOS link - it works perfect when installed on the device on TytnII

Once I found the DOS download it works perfectly on my aging Wizard!

Guest ferryrich

Works for me on Touch HD, with one caveat.

I get a black screen problem whenever I save changes to settings, requiring a battery pop.

Once restarted everything is hunky dory.

Guest Mr.Clark

Only had a quick play, but it's brilliant! I've installed it on the memory card and put the .dat file in the install folder and it didn't promt me for it and hopefully that'll survive a hard reset too...

Awesome. It's things like this that make me remember why I stick by Windows Mobile in the face of iPhone and Android :(

Guest penguin

put this on my X1 & had a quick play, stutters abit but is great :(

oh Paul after listening to the podcast it's nice to know i'm not the only Atari ST veteran B)

Guest thereaperman
put this on my X1 & had a quick play, stutters abit but is great :(

oh Paul after listening to the podcast it's nice to know i'm not the only Atari ST veteran B)

oh no Atari ST. Give me the amiga 500 any day :P (lets not start a flame war, that happend over 10 years go , hehe)

Guest penguin
oh no Atari ST. Give me the amiga 500 any day :( (lets not start a flame war, that happend over 10 years go , hehe)

lol good old days, still have my STe sitting around at home despite the girlfriend trying to get rid of it on numerous occasions B)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.