T-Mobile refresh FlexT tariffs

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Shuflie

Using your allowance for calls and txts while abroad looks interesting, doesn't say if incoming is included though so I imagine you'd still have to pay for that. Pity I had to leave them because of poor service at my new house.

Guest flyswat
Using your allowance for calls and txts while abroad looks interesting, doesn't say if incoming is included though so I imagine you'd still have to pay for that. Pity I had to leave them because of poor service at my new house.

It looks like the new tariffs do not include calls/texts whilst abroad, but calls from the UK to abroad.

Guest Shuflie
It looks like the new tariffs do not include calls/texts whilst abroad, but calls from the UK to abroad.

Could have sworn it said call to the UK from abroad, teach me for speed reading in work B)

Guest shadamehr

For those of us already existing customers, a few things to note about these new tariffs (named as "Flext 2009" on T-Mobile's systems).

• Any 'Life' based existing loyalty discounts you have already on your existing Tariff, such as 25% for being an early joiner, will be LOST if you take out this new version of Flext
  • It seems it is NOT necessary to enter into a new 18 month term, as the blurb seems to suggest - on all THREE of my existing T-Mobile accounts, I was offered the opportunity to 'move over' and have the term finish/come up for renewal, at the same time my current tariff was due to expire anyway.
  • For those that would not make much use of these extra new inclusive elements, be advised that the Inclusive Use Allowance figures for "Flext 2009" are not as high as for "Flext Version 2" (the version immediately prior where they did away with inclusive voicemail), but MAY be higher, than Flext version 1 (original). This is what I have been TOLD, but it is NOT what seems to bear relation to the figures as I recall them - so please check what is best for you first.
  • Those of you receiving HIGH speed 3.5G as part of their Web n Walk existing package, by virtue of having rung up back in the early days, and blagged T-Mobile flicking the relevant switch that was then on their system back then, will LOSE THIS higher speed web access, and simply get standard web n walk 3G only (NOT 3.5G) with these new tariffs. So that would affect me on ALL my accounts, where I have this.

A few disclaimers about the points above.

Firstly, this is what applies, when ringing the standard "Package Updates/Changes Section, via the relevant options on the 150 number. Your mileage MAY vary if you ring full Customer Services, and most certainly will vary, if you were to ring Retentions, should you now be out of contract term and free to leave T-Mobile.

Because when I rang CS in relation to my own key account, they told me that they WOULD let me keep my "Free Evening and Weekend Calling" (as a specific goodwill gesture for past troubles hence why I even have it already), but that I could NOT keep my 25% Loyalty discount (it's a long story how I have both), but in addition to that, my "Free Evening and Weekend Calls (For Life)" which is mine to keep for life (in terms of never changing my existing tariff), would NOT then be for life - they would allow me to keep it until my current contract term expired, if I switched over to the new "Flext 2009", but then it would be up for review, when taking out an extension later, as to whether or not I would keep it.

So faced with losing my 25% Loyalty discount, my higher speed 3.5G flag (on standard Web 'n' Walk), and also losing the guarantee of being able to keep my "Off Peak Calling" for life when current contract term expires, I am sure you can all imagine what I said to T-Mobile.

One final IMPORTANT note...

The normal rules for Tariff downgrading applies to switching over. That is, unless you are out of your minimum contract period element where you are free to move DOWN as well as up (which T-Mobile have told me, is the last month of your contract term now???), then you cannot move to a LOWER tariff.

Nothing new there, you may say, except for something you are all maybe forgetting...

If, for example, you were on the existing tariff of "Flext 35+ WnW", then you could NOT move over to the new "Flext 35" The reasoning behind this is so relevant that it is also the same reason why, beleive it or not, you could not even move from an existing "Flext 30+WnW", 'UP' to a new Flext 35 package...

Pause and think about this... by higher or lower, T-Mobile mean the actual monthly cost. So Current Flext 35+WnW has a nett cost (before any discounts), of £42.50. Therefore you can NOT move over to the new "Flext 35 2009" tariff, as the monthly nett cost for this new tariff is only £35. Whereas existing Flext 35+WnW would be £42.50. Get it now folks?

And this is the reason why, VERY SURPRISINGLY, until reminded of it, you cannot even move 'UP' from existing Flext 30+WnW" to the new "Flext 35", which on the face of it, WOULD seem like a clear move UP. Because again, you would be moving from a £37.50 a month package, over to just a £35 a month package.

This may not apply if you have WnW on your account as a BUNDLE, as opposed to being one of the standalone complete Tariffs they also come as.

But if you are on one of the "Flext xx + WnW" tariffs, where WnW is part of the package irtslef and not a bundle add-on, and thus any loyalty discounts you have apply to both aspects of the account, then you have to remember that any switch to these new "Flext 2009" tariffs, can only be done if the total price before any discount on your line, is HIGHER on the new package you want.

Thus, for Flext30+WnW customers, like my other two accounts, the minimum new Flext 2009 package I can switch to, is actually "Flext 40", and certainly not Flext 30, or even Flext 35. Bear this in mind folks.

And remember, these are the base facts on paper. As always your mileage MAY vary depending on how persistent you are, or who you get to talk to, but I'm normally VERY persuasive, as per the discounts on my account, but despite five calls, in relation to three different numbers I have, I got nowhere, as you can read above.

So my gut feeling is that these new tariffs are a good offer for potential NEW customers, but not really as attractive for any existing customer with any discounts on their account, UNLESS they are nearly out of contract, and can therefore discuss it with Retentions section.

Guest old bill
For those of us already existing customers, a few things to note about these new tariffs (named as "Flext 2009" on T-Mobile's systems).
  • Any 'Life' based existing loyalty discounts you have already on your existing Tariff, such as 25% for being an early joiner, will be LOST if you take out this new version of Flext
  • It seems it is NOT necessary to enter into a new 18 month term, as the blurb seems to suggest - on all THREE of my existing T-Mobile accounts, I was offered the opportunity to 'move over' and have the term finish/come up for renewal, at the same time my current tariff was due to expire anyway.
  • For those that would not make much use of these extra new inclusive elements, be advised that the Inclusive Use Allowance figures for "Flext 2009" are not as high as for "Flext Version 2" (the version immediately prior where they did away with inclusive voicemail), but MAY be higher, than Flext version 1 (original). This is what I have been TOLD, but it is NOT what seems to bear relation to the figures as I recall them - so please check what is best for you first.
  • Those of you receiving HIGH speed 3.5G as part of their Web n Walk existing package, by virtue of having rung up back in the early days, and blagged T-Mobile flicking the relevant switch that was then on their system back then, will LOSE THIS higher speed web access, and simply get standard web n walk 3G only (NOT 3.5G) with these new tariffs. So that would affect me on ALL my accounts, where I have this.

A few disclaimers about the points above.

Firstly, this is what applies, when ringing the standard "Package Updates/Changes Section, via the relevant options on the 150 number. Your mileage MAY vary if you ring full Customer Services, and most certainly will vary, if you were to ring Retentions, should you now be out of contract term and free to leave T-Mobile.

Because when I rang CS in relation to my own key account, they told me that they WOULD let me keep my "Free Evening and Weekend Calling" (as a specific goodwill gesture for past troubles hence why I even have it already), but that I could NOT keep my 25% Loyalty discount (it's a long story how I have both), but in addition to that, my "Free Evening and Weekend Calls (For Life)" which is mine to keep for life (in terms of never changing my existing tariff), would NOT then be for life - they would allow me to keep it until my current contract term expired, if I switched over to the new "Flext 2009", but then it would be up for review, when taking out an extension later, as to whether or not I would keep it.

So faced with losing my 25% Loyalty discount, my higher speed 3.5G flag (on standard Web 'n' Walk), and also losing the guarantee of being able to keep my "Off Peak Calling" for life when current contract term expires, I am sure you can all imagine what I said to T-Mobile.

One final IMPORTANT note...

The normal rules for Tariff downgrading applies to switching over. That is, unless you are out of your minimum contract period element where you are free to move DOWN as well as up (which T-Mobile have told me, is the last month of your contract term now???), then you cannot move to a LOWER tariff.

Nothing new there, you may say, except for something you are all maybe forgetting...

If, for example, you were on the existing tariff of "Flext 35+ WnW", then you could NOT move over to the new "Flext 35" The reasoning behind this is so relevant that it is also the same reason why, beleive it or not, you could not even move from an existing "Flext 30+WnW", 'UP' to a new Flext 35 package...

Pause and think about this... by higher or lower, T-Mobile mean the actual monthly cost. So Current Flext 35+WnW has a nett cost (before any discounts), of £42.50. Therefore you can NOT move over to the new "Flext 35 2009" tariff, as the monthly nett cost for this new tariff is only £35. Whereas existing Flext 35+WnW would be £42.50. Get it now folks?

And this is the reason why, VERY SURPRISINGLY, until reminded of it, you cannot even move 'UP' from existing Flext 30+WnW" to the new "Flext 35", which on the face of it, WOULD seem like a clear move UP. Because again, you would be moving from a £37.50 a month package, over to just a £35 a month package.

This may not apply if you have WnW on your account as a BUNDLE, as opposed to being one of the standalone complete Tariffs they also come as.

But if you are on one of the "Flext xx + WnW" tariffs, where WnW is part of the package irtslef and not a bundle add-on, and thus any loyalty discounts you have apply to both aspects of the account, then you have to remember that any switch to these new "Flext 2009" tariffs, can only be done if the total price before any discount on your line, is HIGHER on the new package you want.

Thus, for Flext30+WnW customers, like my other two accounts, the minimum new Flext 2009 package I can switch to, is actually "Flext 40", and certainly not Flext 30, or even Flext 35. Bear this in mind folks.

And remember, these are the base facts on paper. As always your mileage MAY vary depending on how persistent you are, or who you get to talk to, but I'm normally VERY persuasive, as per the discounts on my account, but despite five calls, in relation to three different numbers I have, I got nowhere, as you can read above.

So my gut feeling is that these new tariffs are a good offer for potential NEW customers, but not really as attractive for any existing customer with any discounts on their account, UNLESS they are nearly out of contract, and can therefore discuss it with Retentions section.

I was due for a upgrade and T-Mobile do not seem very keen on doing any deals with their new Flext price plans at the moment. I was on the old Flext 25 with W&W for £30.00 pm. It took me about 10 calls to T-Mobile but I ended up getting the new Flext 35 with W&W (3.5g active as well) 08 inclusive a N79 and free unlimited landline calls. It took me to give my 30 days notice before I got this deal.

Guest shadamehr
I was due for a upgrade and T-Mobile do not seem very keen on doing any deals with their new Flext price plans at the moment. I was on the old Flext 25 with W&W for £30.00 pm. It took me about 10 calls to T-Mobile but I ended up getting the new Flext 35 with W&W (3.5g active as well) 08 inclusive a N79 and free unlimited landline calls. It took me to give my 30 days notice before I got this deal.

Which nicely emphasises exactly what I said - that RETENTIONS are likely the only people who can really do anything for you, if you already have various discounts or benefits on your existing version of Flext tariff.

For all other users, that are NOT out of contract term soon, their mileage will be likely a fair bit lower when having to ring the standard "Tariff Changes" Team (as my post above shows, I seemed to get an ever so slight better result when instead going via standard Customer Services team, mind you too).

HOWEVER - I am VERY curious how you say you are keeping the 3.5G speed flag (as opposed to 3G which is what standard WnW comes with) whilst moving to a new account.

As the flag is not even an option now for ANY users, hence why, due to a delay on the part of T-Mobile in returning a repair handset to my partner, by the time they did so, and I found the 3.5G "flag" was not set, the ONLY way they could resolve this for me, was to give me a free UPGRADE to Web 'n' Walk Plus, by way of a £5 cost, and then a full £5 credit to my bill, each month.

This was the only way even the Chief Exec's based Customer Resolutions Team could fix it.

So I am VERY curious as to how you got them to let you keep 3.5G speed flag on your new account, when it's technically no longer possible, other than by way of putting you on a different WnW altogether.

So I'd advise checking your first new bill when it arrives mate.

Guest old bill
Which nicely emphasises exactly what I said - that RETENTIONS are likely the only people who can really do anything for you, if you already have various discounts or benefits on your existing version of Flext tariff.

For all other users, that are NOT out of contract term soon, their mileage will be likely a fair bit lower when having to ring the standard "Tariff Changes" Team (as my post above shows, I seemed to get an ever so slight better result when instead going via standard Customer Services team, mind you too).

HOWEVER - I am VERY curious how you say you are keeping the 3.5G speed flag (as opposed to 3G which is what standard WnW comes with) whilst moving to a new account.

As the flag is not even an option now for ANY users, hence why, due to a delay on the part of T-Mobile in returning a repair handset to my partner, by the time they did so, and I found the 3.5G "flag" was not set, the ONLY way they could resolve this for me, was to give me a free UPGRADE to Web 'n' Walk Plus, by way of a £5 cost, and then a full £5 credit to my bill, each month.

This was the only way even the Chief Exec's based Customer Resolutions Team could fix it.

So I am VERY curious as to how you got them to let you keep 3.5G speed flag on your new account, when it's technically no longer possible, other than by way of putting you on a different WnW altogether.

So I'd advise checking your first new bill when it arrives mate.

Very strange. Have contacted CS and they say that I have basic W&W on my account. However when ever I download on my phone the 3.5g sigh comes up. Before I upgraded it was just the basic 3G. Have tried sim in my old phone and that now gets 3.5G as well. So I know its not a phone fault.

Guest shadamehr
Very strange. Have contacted CS and they say that I have basic W&W on my account. However when ever I download on my phone the 3.5g sigh comes up. Before I upgraded it was just the basic 3G. Have tried sim in my old phone and that now gets 3.5G as well. So I know its not a phone fault.

Which then beggars the obvious question then...

Is this because of something they have specifically done on your account, or is this becuase BASIC WnW now comes in at the true 3.5G speed as well on the new Flext 2009 Tariffs...

Mighty useful if so, if it can be confirmed...

Guest naturbo2000
Which then beggars the obvious question then...

Is this because of something they have specifically done on your account, or is this becuase BASIC WnW now comes in at the true 3.5G speed as well on the new Flext 2009 Tariffs...

Mighty useful if so, if it can be confirmed...

I got a new T-mobile contract on 26th Feb, (Combi30 + WnW). However my phone quite happily shows a big H for the connection speed. 3.5G, no?

I did have a concurrent Flext25 + WnW Plus on the same account (now terminated), but that's since been terminated.

(Edited cos I thought my new contract was Flext, but it isn't...)

Edited by naturbo2000

Guest shadamehr
I got a new T-mobile contract on 26th Feb, (Combi30 + WnW). However my phone quite happily shows a big H for the connection speed. 3.5G, no?

I did have a concurrent Flext25 + WnW Plus on the same account (now terminated), but that's since been terminated.

Still sounds like BASIC WnW now comes replete with 3.5G speeds though, nevertheless!

Guest WearTheFoxHat

My contract is up in July I think, so I can make changes in May.

I'm currently on Flext 35 + WnW Plus (so I can tether). I get a £5/mo loyalty discount, £5/mo discount for signing up online, Free hotspots added plus something else. The price is about £37.50 a month.

Problem for me is that it's my personal phone, and I hardly ever make calls, send a few texts but not loads and then have my email constantly on. Generally people call me. I must say I hardly use tethering too, but is a nice option if I want it.

The dilemma I'm stuck with is ... "I know I like to have a phone, but I don't need £180 of flext credit each month when at most I get down to £160!". So at even with the lowest flext tariff, I'd still have way more minutes than I would ever need.

I've been pointed at:

T-Mobile - Solo 20 - £20 a month (30 day rolling contract) - 600 minutes, unlimited texts, unlimited mobile internet (no tethering) (But still have to pay for voicemail etc)

T-Mobile - Flext 30 - £30 a month

Three - INQ 15 - £15 - Unlimited Internet, Unlimited Texts, 75 minutes.

Realistically there is no point me paying almost £40 a month on a tariff that I hardly use. Total false economy. I'd rather not be tied into a contract either since I don't have a subsidised handset anymore.

What am I likely to be able to wangle from T-Mobile???? Discount for loyal customer, discount for no handset, minimum flext tariff with free wnw plus ???

In fact one other option is to get a Three mobile broadband SIM on PAYG, and stick that in my phone. Then ensure it's topped up with the right stuff each month.

Guest old bill

Well a friend of mine has just taken out a new contract with T-Mobile on the old Flext price plan. He took a Nokia 5800 and this shows 3.5G all the time and he is only on the basic W&W. So it looks lie T-Mobile have reviewed their policy towards HSDPA. With most of the other networks offering it free of charge I dont think they had much choice.

Guest Christopher Woods

So, has anybody who's on the previous Flext tariffs (when they removed voicemail from inclusive allowances) asked to see if they will move them to the latest Flext tariff without losing any discounts accrued on the account? I may have to ring up and ask in the next few days out of my own curiosity, but as I have a fair amount of discount on my account I don't really want to lose that all for the sake of inclusive 08 calls! (I use VoIP for those anyway...)

Guest shadamehr
So, has anybody who's on the previous Flext tariffs (when they removed voicemail from inclusive allowances) asked to see if they will move them to the latest Flext tariff without losing any discounts accrued on the account?

Yes.

Hence why my post about exactly that above, is quite long....

Guest Christopher Woods
Yes.

Hence why my post about exactly that above, is quite long....

Indeed, I saw that afterwards so apologies for the duplicate question as such.

Did you pressure them at all to keep all of your discounts on the account, or were they pretty staunch in their position?

Guest shadamehr
Indeed, I saw that afterwards so apologies for the duplicate question as such.

Did you pressure them at all to keep all of your discounts on the account, or were they pretty staunch in their position?

Oh I am a MASTER of pressurising them...

But that's maybe the problem...

As my accounts are by now so heavily laden with discounts, this might conversely explain WHY they are so resolute in their refusal to let me keep them ALL if I move over to the new Flext tariffs.

As outlined in the lengthy explanation above though, they were prepared to let me keep certain elements...

So I did 'win' in one respect.

But my existing package is still way too good, that they couldn't do anything like it, if moving over to the new Flext '09 tariffs.

Roll on renewal date though, when I can REALLY push my luck with Retentions direct...

*lol*

Guest estechco

No, sadly the fact that you are showing an H only tells you that 3.5G is available in your area, not that you are actually getting it. I had a long a very and protracted conversation last year regarding this and it basically comes down to when and how your WnW was originally set up (2 years+ ?).

Any new WnW standard will be throttled back to 3G. You only get 3.5G if you take the plus addition.

Guest old bill
No, sadly the fact that you are showing an H only tells you that 3.5G is available in your area, not that you are actually getting it. I had a long a very and protracted conversation last year regarding this and it basically comes down to when and how your WnW was originally set up (2 years+ ?).

Any new WnW standard will be throttled back to 3G. You only get 3.5G if you take the plus addition.

Sorry to disagree but a friend of mine has just taken out a new contract with T-Mobile. He brought the Nokia 5800 on the old (not 08 numbers) Flext Price plan with free W&W. When he downloads he gets the 3.5G sign and having run various speed tests he gets between .8-1.2 meg download speed.

Guest shadamehr

@ estecho AND oldbill....

Easy guys, you are both missing something each here...

One of you missing the fact that only ORIGINAL early adopters managed to get 3.5G.

The other of you missing the fact that this thread, and the points thus mentioned, were NEW thoughts, basically saying that NOW, it seems the new Flext '09 tariffs sound like 3.5 is NOW included as standard.

Yes, this never USED to be the case, as one of you overlooked, and the other of you knew, and only early adopters got 3.5G on standard web n walk.

BUT, the other bit, is that we are now specifically talking, hence the posts in here, to say that it is more and more sounding, that the new Flext '09 tariffs SEEM to include 3.5G as standard.

CORRECT though, that on Windows Devices, the H symbol does not necessarily always mean 3.5G is connected/provisioned on a user account.

The best indicator is indeed a good old NOKIA phone, where if a person's phone supports HSDPA 3.5G, then if a user has this provisioned on their account, then 3.5 will show on the display (but only whilst actually USING/downloading from the connection, NOT while in standby), but that if they do not have the higher speed provisioned on their account, only 3G will show when actually still downloading/connecting.

The thing is though, we are now hearing more and more, that such Nokia users ARE seeing the 3.5G speed symbol, when downloading, on basic web n walk, whilst on the new Flext '09 tariffs.

Hope that helps clarify points BOTH of you were overlooking.

Cheers guys.

Guest Confucious

My contract expires on Tuesday and after numerous phone calls I ended up getting my PAC code.

I don't use many minutes and texts now so Flext35 is a bit OTT and I have an iPhone and have got a PAYG SIM with unlimited web access provided I top up £10/month which gets me 300 texts and £10 of calls a month - more than enough for me at the moment and I thought would be ideal.

Yesterday I put my O2 SIM in my phone - it has HSDPA so I thought I'd be OK.

Wrong! The max speed I have got is about 580k but I can run the same test (it uses speedtest.net) again and get 29kbs (that's download not upload!) with T-Mobile I once got less than 600kbs but I used to get 1200kbs but recently have been getting 1400-1800kbs and if I did get a 'low' reading it was a one off.

I got a colleague at work to try the speedtest as well (on O2) and we were both getting very erratic readings - he once got over 900kbs but most were either ~580 or ~29kbs and this was on full 5 bar signal.

3G coverage on O2 seems poor round here as well - we wnt out yesterday evening and were down to 2G.

I think I'm going to have to phone T again and the best they offered me was to extend my existing arrangement for another 18 months.

Oh well, £20.51 for Flext35 (old version with free voicemail but they've just put up the price of 08 numbers and I don't get to text abroad) and W'n'W Plus is not bad I suppose.

Is it just me, but when I look at http://www.mobiholics.com/content/operator...fs/#entry989095 the cheapest plan I see is Flext 40!

Guest agent.m
My contract expires on Tuesday and after numerous phone calls I ended up getting my PAC code.

I don't use many minutes and texts now so Flext35 is a bit OTT and I have an iPhone and have got a PAYG SIM with unlimited web access provided I top up £10/month which gets me 300 texts and £10 of calls a month - more than enough for me at the moment and I thought would be ideal.

Yesterday I put my O2 SIM in my phone - it has HSDPA so I thought I'd be OK.

Wrong! The max speed I have got is about 580k but I can run the same test (it uses speedtest.net) again and get 29kbs (that's download not upload!) with T-Mobile I once got less than 600kbs but I used to get 1200kbs but recently have been getting 1400-1800kbs and if I did get a 'low' reading it was a one off.

I got a colleague at work to try the speedtest as well (on O2) and we were both getting very erratic readings - he once got over 900kbs but most were either ~580 or ~29kbs and this was on full 5 bar signal.

3G coverage on O2 seems poor round here as well - we wnt out yesterday evening and were down to 2G.

I think I'm going to have to phone T again and the best they offered me was to extend my existing arrangement for another 18 months.

Oh well, £20.51 for Flext35 (old version with free voicemail but they've just put up the price of 08 numbers and I don't get to text abroad) and W'n'W Plus is not bad I suppose.

Is it just me, but when I look at http://www.mobiholics.com/content/operator...fs/#entry989095 the cheapest plan I see is Flext 40!

yeah just noticed this as well

not very good. but they d have the solo price plan which is sort of pay as you go unlimited internet sim only

http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/mobile-phon...rd/pay-monthly/

Guest Metoo
QUOTE(Confucious @ Apr 6 2009, 19:00)

The problem with all the 'free' unlimited internet is it is W'n'W Std which is 3G only - not HSDPA.

yeah you're right

Makes sense to me. The only regular requirement I can see for full HSDPA is when tethering, and that's against the T&C of all standard flat rate contracts.

If you're not doing that, why (apart from bragging) do you need 7.2Mbps on a mobile phone?

IMO it's just number chasing for numbers' sake.

It has no major benefit to the actual day-today user experience of using your phone, in fact it harms it - as HSDPA is even more of a battery hog than 3G..

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.