Does this phone say $5500 to you?

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

How about if I tell you it's Windows Mobile 6.0 Standard, Tri-band GSM with 64MB RAM and a 2 megapixel camera? No? How about if I tell you that only 8 will be made, there are 4 diamonds on the nav keys (total weight) 0.44K and that the display is 42K hand polished sapphire crystal?

I'm guessing the answer is still 'NO' (and most of us probably aren't really the target audience) but Gresso do make some intriguing devices with Swiss design that are hand made in Russia (!) and using fine materials such as 200 year old African Blackwood.

In the WinMo Week 28 podcast Chris and I have chatted about the devices and their target market, but i'm intrigued to hear your thoughts on the assumedly Vertu wannabes - can the cost ever be justified? Should high end phones have high end specs as well as high end construction? Do you have one and you'd like to tell us why you bought it? B)

P

Via: engadgetmobile

gresso.jpg

Guest FragMeister

I guess that with the country going down the tubes, 7 of the 8 will remain on the shelf for evermore [there is always at least one person with more money than sense B) ]

Guest Mysterious Stranger

How about if I tell you it's Windows Mobile 6.0 Standard, Tri-band GSM with 64MB RAM and a 2 megapixel camera? No? How about if I tell you that only 8 will be made, there are 4 diamonds on the nav keys (total weight) 0.44K and that the display is 42K hand polished sapphire crystal?

I'm guessing the answer is still 'NO' (and most of us probably aren't really the target audience) but Gresso do make some intriguing devices with Swiss design that are hand made in Russia (!) and using fine materials such as 200 year old African Blackwood.

'Handmade in Russia' my ar$€. These are Chinese Techfaith puma-t's in pretty casings. Also known as the i-mate SPL. Google 'Gresso' and 'techfaith' for lots more (old) info on their 'range'. Swiss Design? Chinese design + photoshop more like.... B)

Paul, if you still have an spl, compare the attached photo to the battery compartment of it. Note the sim sled, battery contacts, mini sd slot connector etc...

Incidently, got a pink and a red spl from eXpansys recently. One D.O.A, other gave 'unknown sim status'. No genuine wm6 :-(

edit - I've got an spl w/ broken screen I'll pull apart later - the Gresso's board is viewable through it's clear back in the pics for comparison

M.S

post-254928-1236968558_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mysterious Stranger

Guest Mysterious Stranger
Ah ha, interesting...!

On the 'cast myself and mono commented how it wasn't exactly nice to look at thru the perspex window!

P

Surely they'd use crystal / glass like other swiss designs (i.e watches?) rather than perspex?

a 'whois' on gresso.com brings up a GB registration and hotmail address for contact.

Wonder if they've ever sold any phones? All the promo pics are from the same angles in different colours...

EDIT - pics are of vapourware devices. check the imei's - they're all "353150010007686" doubt they've even made 1 let alone 8!....

M.S

Edited by Mysterious Stranger

• 1 year later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.