New ROM for Omnia i910

Guest BamDastard

Guest MASTANA20

okay finally got gps to do something, which is find me where i am.   good news,  this new rom does work but when using windows live search, i click "locate me", it says "sorry we could not automatically detect your location".   funny things is when i click on "change location" and click on "curret gps" it will find me.    so what's the difference and why locate me wont work on live search.  other wise it's working and i am so happy that finally someone has satisfied all of us omnia lovers which verizon couldn't do.  thanks a bunch. 

Guest Omega Ra
Will I still have all my contacts after I do this Flash?

NO, you will lose EVERYTHING...do a back-up first, then after flashing you can restore your contacts

Guest tthurston31
NO, you will lose EVERYTHING...do a back-up first, then after flashing you can restore your contacts

I'm a complete newbee, how do I do a back-up? Then how would I restore it?

Sorry for the dumb questions, but I need to ask them.

Guest gotwillk

yes i would also like to know how to do a backup. also, am i backing up the settings or the registry? if its the registry, won't the old values be incompatible with the new firmware when i restore it?

Guest viper222

I have tried 3 times to install the GPSToggle. I have downloaded and saved it to my device (My Device, My Storage, and My Storage Card) and when I run the GPSToggle.cab I get "Installation of GPSToggle.cab was unsuccessful" I have soft reset my phone, and still no go. I didn't want to do a Hard Reset again since I JUST got it all set backup. But did anyone else have this issue and come up with a solution? Thanks.

Edit- First, sorry I quoted the wrong post. Second, I figured it out. I downloaded it on my PC (Windows 7) then emailed it to myself, but for some reason it got corrupted. I emailed myself the Link and downloaded directly to my Omnia and it worked perfectly.

Edited by viper222

Guest Rob V
Anyone figure out how to word-wrap in the new version of Internet Explorer Mobile? I've got it set on mobile in the View settings. But many websites don't show up as a single column and I have to scroll right and left to read everything.
It's probably a dumb question, but with all due respect, is there some reason to even use PIE anymore? Opera just blows PIE away in every respect, to the point that I haven't used PIE since getting my Omnia. (And Opera does a great job at dynamically reformatting text into a single column!) :excl:

Guest Solange82200
i did this registry edit...

all it did was mess up my system settings menu....

how do i fix it back?

do i just add a value in that same place as "Redirect"?

Yes, choose a new String Value, and name it Redirect. I had the same question earlier in the thread and Adrynalyne answered me :excl:

Guest Dv8_65

Hi from Canadian Newb

I just picked up the Bell ver of the i910 up here in the great white north...dose anyone know if I can unlock the GPS on the i910 from Bell? And how do I check what rom ver I have?

Thank You.

Guest maxtcee
Anyone figure out how to word-wrap in the new version of Internet Explorer Mobile? I've got it set on mobile in the View settings. But many websites don't show up as a single column and I have to scroll right and left to read everything.

Thanks!

im trying to figure out the same thing let me know if you figure it out

Guest jmath679

First post here, and also first smartphone and rom flash for me too. I read up on this thread last night and this morning and decided to try it out. Went off without a hitch until I used SPB backup to try and restore all of my configs and programs. It screwed up the phone function and I had to do a hard reset, but after that I just restored my saved messages and contacts and restored the rest by hand. It was really quite simple to do even for a first timer like me.

It was slightly stressing though. I spent most of the day trying to get the GPS working and finally managed to get it functioning with Windows controlling it. I had switched back and forth from Windows and the Com8 stuff a bunch of times until it finally registered my location. It was quite interesting zooming down onto my roof and seeing the blip that was me.

Throughout the day I have installed different programs onto the phone and all have worked flawlessly. I first updated the start bar icons and then put on SPB Mobile Shell and its 3.2 skin pack. (I may try out M2D in a week or so.) Next I installed S2U2 and it is functioning properly also. I am using Google Maps atm, but may try out other GPS software in a few days. I also installed Astraware Boardgame pack and am planning on getting an emulator or two.

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to outline what has worked for me for all of the other noob users out there.

I love it, but I never had any problems with Vista in the first place :excl:

Here here!

I'm interested to try out 7, but I too have used Vista since it's release and never had any trouble. It amazes me that people still use XP (the Fisher Price of operating systems) and continue to complain about Vista without ever trying it.

Has anyone had an issue with new rom and M2D when clicking on a message (in messaging tab)to reply to it the XT9 keyboard pops up even when XT9 phonepad is checked? It's extremely frustrating. I've tried Omnia SIP (which I used on the factory rom with great results), but that hasn't helped either. I've also turned automatic keyboard popup on and off but get the same results.

Guest theidoctor.org
Here here!

I'm interested to try out 7, but I too have used Vista since it's release and never had any trouble. It amazes me that people still use XP (the Fisher Price of operating systems) and continue to complain about Vista without ever trying it.

I like both xp and vista... i havent really found anything new in vista that makes me want to run vista on all my machines....

i am excited about windows 7 though... i really hope they go a completely different way with this one than xp or vista....

i havent messed with the keyboard that much.... i need to find out how to turn the keyboard popping up off.... i just havent searched yet

Guest Hasher
yes i would also like to know how to do a backup. also, am i backing up the settings or the registry? if its the registry, won't the old values be incompatible with the new firmware when i restore it?

I used a program called SPB backup and backed up my system.. then did a hard reset then did the flash.

After the flash worked I then executed the self extracting backup that SPB created and it restored all settings and it knew I had a new rom. So even the registry was restored and I did not have to reinstall all the programs I had installed.

Guest gotwillk

ok i did the flash and i dont have that new keyboard feature where the letters pop up when you press them. can't seem to find the setting to turn that on also.

Guest theidoctor.org
I used a program called SPB backup and backed up my system.. then did a hard reset then did the flash.

After the flash worked I then executed the self extracting backup that SPB created and it restored all settings and it knew I had a new rom. So even the registry was restored and I did not have to reinstall all the programs I had installed.

Yeap! spb backup is amazing!!!!

Guest tfmendonca

hello all,

Good work everyone on developing this new rom! I am a complete noob when it comes to flashing, roms etc... So I am trying to get a frim grip on this. I continue to read that this is quite easy to do but after looking into the pdf doc. in the first post it dosent seem as easy as everyone is making it sound. If someone could generate a step by step flow chart or process that could make this a no brainer for people like me it, im sure everyone the needs it would be greatly apprciate it including myself.

Secondly, What are the benefits in taking such a huge risk with the phone? what kind of memory is freed up? what kind of hard facts can people post. I've also read that doing this can improve your reception? Can someone please confirm. To be honest this is my only want! I have horrible reception and that alone would be worth the risk. Also I hate to be so nervous about doing this, but this is a work phone and it has taken me a long time to set it up to a point that i feel is ideal for my work and personel use.

Any input from all of you would be greatly appreciated.

One more thing, may I suggest that we split the posts. ROM and specific info regarding the rom itself example: apps need to flash rom, apps in the rom itself, memory, other stats in one post, and results, trouble issues, fixes and anything else in another topic. Its tough to keep 30 plus pages in order.

Sorry for the lengthy post, im just looking for clean and precise info.

Many thanks

T

Guest bikercr
It's probably a dumb question, but with all due respect, is there some reason to even use PIE anymore? Opera just blows PIE away in every respect, to the point that I haven't used PIE since getting my Omnia. (And Opera does a great job at dynamically reformatting text into a single column!) :excl:

I like Opera for many websites, but PIE is better for scrolling without your finger. Mouse cursor can be used on the arrow key at the bottom of the right scroll bar. I also like the Favorites set up better than Bookmarks (single instead of double click). Now, if I could just get back the word wrap feature. In the older PIE, you could set up for single column.

Guest happydekind
I like Opera for many websites, but PIE is better for scrolling without your finger. Mouse cursor can be used on the arrow key at the bottom of the right scroll bar. I also like the Favorites set up better than Bookmarks (single instead of double click). Now, if I could just get back the word wrap feature. In the older PIE, you could set up for single column.

can some one help i get this erro every time i do update Rvalue null.. ack recive Faile

Rvalue null.. ack recive Faile

PDA Device not found.

PDA Device not found.

Guest happydekind
But after your install, Data and phone were working? I noticed wozzer(?) was having some problems.

can some one help i get this error every time i do the update

PDA Device not found.

PDA Device not found.

Guest aleis

PDA Device not found.

PDA Device not found.

make sure you have the samsung driver installed and make sure you power the phone off!

then turn it on while its connected to the pc and it should work.

Guest happydekind
make sure you have the samsung driver installed and make sure you power the phone off!

then turn it on while its connected to the pc and it should work.

i did that the thin i get missed box that comes up and says WINUSB_Initialize frome the umdl software lucks up

Edited by happydekind

Guest Adrynalyne

Folks:

Please follow all directions so as to try and prevent dead Omnias!

Winusb_initialize errors crop up with UMDL because usb connections were not disabled via activesync or windows mobile device center.

Guest krelvinaz

PDA Device not found.

PDA Device not found.

This is because you didn't turn the Phone OFF. Before you plug it in, you have to turn the phone completely off.

After you press Detect, and plug the phone in, you then need to turn the phone on....