Is it possible to install windows mobile on a HTC Dream = "G1" mobile?

Guest joker.mn

Guest joker.mn

Many of you will ask: why the heck does he want to do that?

but listen,

I work with windows mobile quite a long time, now I had my hands on the G1 and really loved the keyboard and that little trackball. I did not even need the touchscreen. Sadly I invested quite a lot money in all of my WM6.1 Software which does not work on Android. So I wondered whether one can install WM6.1 or WM6.5 on a HTC Dream. (I read a thread where people made Android work on a HTC Touch Pro - so one must be able to do it the other way).

Thanks for your comments in advance,

jokeR

Guest awarner (MVP)

It all depends on the size of the developer community.

The main thing is you need to find someone who will invest the time to look at things like drivers for the keypad, screen and chipset etc.

Once that is done the rest is technically a breeze.

Guest smilegod

I think that is impossible

1.Developers ported android to HTC but it works not very good

2.WM is too hard to port

At least i think so :excl:

Guest joker.mn

well, i searched the net for a couple of hours and still did not find anyone willing to try porting it.

do you have any suggestions where else to search?

Guest B_Eaze

I think its possible but very time extensive. Your gonna need a lotta people to help you with it cuz finding all the drivers will cumbersome. Findin people who wanna go from WinMo to android might not be that easy

Guest l3v5y

Given that the G1 is based on very similar hardware to the Diamond, Touch Pro etc, it should be technically possible, but the screen is a non WM standard size, and the keyboard/trackball drivers will need to be rewritten. Also, the Android bootloader is quite different to the WM bootloader, so that would need to be redone as well.

It's possible, but I'm not sure whether it's worth the effort of developers doing it...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Webreaper

Biggest question is, why would you want to? Most of us have spent years waiting for a better mobile OS than the crud that MS have palmed off on us over the last decade, and now you want to take the first decent Android device and put WM on it?

The only thing the G1 has that isn't widely available on WinMo is the trackball, and I don't think it's that revolutionary. You'd be better off getting a touchpro 2 and just running WinMo on a device that's suited to it, with drivers that work.

• 11 months later...