Start HERE Before Flashing a cooked ROM (Verizon i910)

Guest necosino

@ necosino

I have a new (to me) omnia and I was having trouble updating to CF03 (the Verizon way) and I found your thread here w/ the 3 diff files (part1, 2 & 3) which I downloaded and extracted. Now I have 3 files. How do I used them w/ UMDL? I've used UMDL before to flash (both img and bin files), but I've never had it in 3 pieces. How do I handle that? Thanks!

@ necosino

I have a new (to me) omnia and I was having trouble updating to CF03 (the Verizon way) and I found your thread here w/ the 3 diff files (part1, 2 & 3) which I downloaded and extracted. Now I have 3 files. How do I used them w/ UMDL? I've used UMDL before to flash (both img and bin files), but I've never had it in 3 pieces. How do I handle that? Thanks!

had same issue on another rar file... you need winrar and "unrar" / unzip #1 and winrar will do the rest as well. just make sure they are all in same location / folder.

hope this helps.

had same issue on another rar file... you need winrar and "unrar" / unzip #1 and winrar will do the rest as well. just make sure they are all in same location / folder.

hope this helps.

Really??? I tried this and it just overwrote the extracted file(s). Thnx.

Guest necosino
Really??? I tried this and it just overwrote the extracted file(s). Thnx.

You should just have to open ONE of the three files, it will combine the three after, and you should have ONE .img file after unRar'ing them. Then with UMDL, you select the .img file to flash with.

You should just have to open ONE of the three files, it will combine the three after, and you should have ONE .img file after unRar'ing them. Then with UMDL, you select the .img file to flash with.

This is not working. If I unrar one file, nothing happens w/ the other 2.

Guest Jeff Clark
Try doing a hard reset and then flashing..

Should have provided more information. I did the hard reset, power on holding both buttons and then the wipe. Still same thing. Trying some new stuff. I will let folks know how it goes.

Guest Jeff Clark

Oh wow, oh wow, oh wow. I had the bricked Omnia from a bad flash. Necosino was kindly trying to help me.

I was able to use UMDL and the .img file (recompiled from the 3 separate RAR files - so yes it does work) to flash my bricked Omnia. Turns out - it was the USB port on the box I used for flashing. I had tried two OS'es (XP and Vista) but both were booted from different partitions on the same box. Threw the usb cable onto my other computer - a laptop running Vista and did a successful flash. I now have TWO (yes 2!) Omnia's. Guess the wife is getting a new phone!

Moral of the story: Don't assume your USB is any good if you are having trouble flashing the rom's!

Edited by Jeff Clark

This is not working. If I unrar one file, nothing happens w/ the other 2.

did you get to unrar successfuly?

as necosino mentioned just unrar 1 of three file and winrar will "reassemble" all three files to one big file - sorry to sound funky here. hope this helps

Guest dmcnado
did you get to unrar successfuly?

as necosino mentioned just unrar 1 of three file and winrar will "reassemble" all three files to one big file - sorry to sound funky here. hope this helps

Well, I don't know if it unrar'd successfully. I end up w/ one .IMG file that is 155,145 KB -- does that sound right? I am not wanting to brick my phone by using a bad or incomplete image.

Guest necosino
Well, I don't know if it unrar'd successfully. I end up w/ one .IMG file that is 155,145 KB -- does that sound right? I am not wanting to brick my phone by using a bad or incomplete image.

Yes, that is exactly what you should have.

Guest nmayer79

so im trying to find anything out about problems AFTER a successful flash. used verizon official update and flash went fine. phone is buggy as hell now though. been searching topics and it seems i am only one having problems??? necosino got any suggestions, anyone?

Guest necosino

NMayer, see your PM.

As per any flash, I recommend doing a hard reset before flashing, and even to format My Storage. Also, if you are restoring a backup, ONLY restore contacts, messages, tasks, and appointments. Don't try to restore system settings of anything like that; they tend to cause issues with updated software.

I also added a donation link in my signature for anyone that would like to say thanks and buy me a Dr. Pepper, lol. :)

Guest B-Fire

Edit: third time's a charm, I guess :)

Hi, I'm a new user from the U.S. Last night I was able to successfully flash my i910 to CF03 without any issues. Worked fine on the first try :P

However, when I try a cooked rom (Mr. Capcom's only so far) it fails. I follow the same set of procedures, except using the PDA button instead of the Unified Image File to load the .bin. Yes, I make sure that the phone is set to Mass Storage and Mobile Device Center has USB disabled.

It appears to flash OK, with UMDL saying successful and restarting the phone. However, only the Omnia load screen comes up, and freezes there. The progress bar will tick a few times, then stop. Tried restarting my phone with no luck.

The good news is that I'm still able to flash back to stock CF03 without any issues. That bad news is that both times I've flash to Mr. Capcom's build I can't get past the Omnia load screen. I'm going to try again, then maybe try a different cooked ROM. I'll be waiting for advice while I try :D

Edited by B-Fire

Guest necosino

Are you downloading and unzipping the downloaded file first, or just renaming it .bin? You must unzip the file using something like WinRAR (rarlabs.com) This will yield the proper .bin that you use to flash :)

Edit: third time's a charm, I guess :)

Hi, I'm a new user from the U.S. Last night I was able to successfully flash my i910 to CF03 without any issues. Worked fine on the first try :P

However, when I try a cooked rom (Mr. Capcom's only so far) it fails. I follow the same set of procedures, except using the PDA button instead of the Unified Image File to load the .bin. Yes, I make sure that the phone is set to Mass Storage and Mobile Device Center has USB disabled.

It appears to flash OK, with UMDL saying successful and restarting the phone. However, only the Omnia load screen comes up, and freezes there. The progress bar will tick a few times, then stop. Tried restarting my phone with no luck.

The good news is that I'm still able to flash back to stock CF03 without any issues. That bad news is that both times I've flash to Mr. Capcom's build I can't get past the Omnia load screen. I'm going to try again, then maybe try a different cooked ROM. I'll be waiting for advice while I try :D

possible corrurpt downloaded zipped or .bin file...

Guest B-Fire
possible corrurpt downloaded zipped or .bin file...

I'm thinking this. The first two times I tried using the same .bin on my computer. The third time I downloaded it again, and it worked. I guess somehow the first download was bad.

So here's my second nub question: am I required to always flash back to stock CF03 before trying a new cooked rom? Or is it possible to install a new cooked rom over the old one?

Guest necosino
So here's my second nub question: am I required to always flash back to stock CF03 before trying a new cooked rom? Or is it possible to install a new cooked rom over the old one?

Nope, this is a 1-time flash, unless you want to go back to the stock ROM (like if you had to bring it in to Verizon, for example)

Just flash away :)