Essential Android Software

Guest Webreaper

Guest chucky.egg
Is there an address book application ... that can be easily edited on PC and then put on a telephone (San Francisco)?

The handset has a built-in contacts database which can sync over-the-air with a Google account - so you type your details in (or, ideally, you import them from an existing contacts list) and it gets copied to the phone.

I've looked at google contacts but that seems to be for email, and I don't want email on my phone.

The Google Contacts doesn't have to include an email address, and the sync options for Google let you choose what you want to sync (just Contacts in your case, but you could have email and calendar too)

Is it possible to put itunes on my handset, or is there something better?

I can't imagine anything could be better than iTunes! /sarcasm

I've never seen mention of iTunes on Android, but I've never looked. I'd suggest searching here or Google.

Guest Webreaper

Hi Jonesian,

Is there an address book application (ie like a proper old fashioned address book with name, street, town, postcode and phone number) that can be easily edited on PC and then put on a telephone (San Francisco)?

I've looked at google contacts but that seems to be for email, and I don't want email on my phone.

Not that I'm aware of. However, your best answer is to use Google Contacts. Email addresses and phone numbers are not compulsory, so you don't have to put those details in if you don't want. If you create a contact in your phone, scroll down and there are fields to add one or more postal addresses (press the green '+' key), organisation, etc. Once you create those contacts on your phone, they'll automatically sync into the address book for your GMail account (meaning they're backed up, in case you lose your phone).

If you want to edit the contacts on your PC, log into GMail, and then go to 'Contacts', and you can edit/add contacts there (with postal addresses). Any changes you make will automatically get synchronised to your phone.

This is confusing the hell out of me - I've looked everywhere but no joy.

All previous handsets I've had have had have had ones it's easy to sync on computer.

It'll take weeks to type everyone's address into the handset itself?

The Gmail web interface also has the ability to import contacts directly from Outlook or a comma-separated file, so if you have them backed up from your old phone, you can probably import wholesale and not have to type anything.

Is it possible to put itunes on my handset, or is there something better?

Nope, iTunes is an Apple-only application, so only works with iPhones or iPods. If you want something to sync your music to your Android phone, there's a couple of iTunes-like options:

DoubleTwist, or possibly the beta of Winamp for Android (which apparently does wireless music sync).

Guest jonesian

Thanks for that - it looks like it's going to have to be google contacts...I've managed to download my old phone contacts to a CSV file and import them into contacts.

However, all the info is in a text box to the right of the contact - have I donre it wrong, or is it supposed to be like that?

I'll check out itunes alternatives.

Is there a way to use my pc to type messages to send via the phone?

Guest Webreaper
However, all the info is in a text box to the right of the contact - have I donre it wrong, or is it supposed to be like that?

The data should be in the correct fields. If it's in the notes field, that probably just means your CSV file wasn't in quite the right format for the export. Can't help with that, unfortunately, but you could try exporting the data from GMail again, and maybe using excel to move the data from the wrong to the right column (and then re-importing, after deleting the incorrect contacts).

Is there a way to use my pc to type messages to send via the phone?

There might be an app which connects to the phone and controls it, but I've not seen one. I'll defer to others.

I noticed some Q's in your profile, which I'll try and answer. :P

I need a calenadar that I can synch with my desktop (XP), that I could maybe share with the wife and add football fixtures etc to, without it being a total ballache.

The handset keeps on about something called google calendar, I've had a look at this, but I'm not keen on it being online - I'd rather just have something on my handset (and the wife's) and my desktop that can be easily updated and synched - any recommendations?

Is goole calendar safe?

Yes, google calendar works exactly like Gmail in that everything's in the cloud and syncs with your phone. There is a google calendar sync app you can download and run on the same machine as Outlook, and it will synchronise your calendar appointments from your wife's PC with your google calendar. Might be worth a go.

Is it possible to use basic excel spreadsheets on the handset - or is there another way?

Have a look at Documents 2 Go

GPS: anything that doesn't require permanent connection (only got 100mb/month)?

GPS itself doesn't use any bandwidth, since it just receives transmitted data from satellites. If you mean Satellite Navigation, then your best bet would be to buy a copy of CoPilot. It's about £26 for UK (is that where you're based?) and I find it's excellent. The main advantage is that all the maps reside on the SD card in the phone, so you don't need a data connection to navigate.

Is it possible to set up the handset so it automatically opts for wi-fi (if available), rather than using my allowance?

You can leave Wifi on all the time, but the problem is that sucks battery a bit. If wifi is on, it should use that in preference to mobile data. The only issue is that if the device syncs while it's sleeping (screen off) it won't use wifi. You can override that, however, there's a little-known setting in

Settings -> Wireless & Networks -> Wifi Settings -> <press the menu button> -> Advanced

which allows you to set the policy to keep wifi on while the device is asleep.

You should also download an app called Y5 battery saver which is great - it turns on wifi if you're near somewhere that you succesfully connected to wifi before, but turns it off when you leave. So for example, it'll enable wifi at home, but turn it off when you leave for work.

Hope this helps!

Guest jonesian
The data should be in the correct fields. If it's in the notes field, that probably just means your CSV file wasn't in quite the right format for the export. Can't help with that, unfortunately, but you could try exporting the data from GMail again, and maybe using excel to move the data from the wrong to the right column (and then re-importing, after deleting the incorrect contacts).

There might be an app which connects to the phone and controls it, but I've not seen one. I'll defer to others.

I noticed some Q's in your profile, which I'll try and answer. :P

Yes, google calendar works exactly like Gmail in that everything's in the cloud and syncs with your phone. There is a google calendar sync app you can download and run on the same machine as Outlook, and it will synchronise your calendar appointments from your wife's PC with your google calendar. Might be worth a go.

Have a look at Documents 2 Go

GPS itself doesn't use any bandwidth, since it just receives transmitted data from satellites. If you mean Satellite Navigation, then your best bet would be to buy a copy of CoPilot. It's about £26 for UK (is that where you're based?) and I find it's excellent. The main advantage is that all the maps reside on the SD card in the phone, so you don't need a data connection to navigate.

You can leave Wifi on all the time, but the problem is that sucks battery a bit. If wifi is on, it should use that in preference to mobile data. The only issue is that if the device syncs while it's sleeping (screen off) it won't use wifi. You can override that, however, there's a little-known setting in

Settings -> Wireless & Networks -> Wifi Settings -> <press the menu button> -> Advanced

which allows you to set the policy to keep wifi on while the device is asleep.

You should also download an app called Y5 battery saver which is great - it turns on wifi if you're near somewhere that you succesfully connected to wifi before, but turns it off when you leave. So for example, it'll enable wifi at home, but turn it off when you leave for work.

Hope this helps!

Mr Reaper Sir, you are a star! :D

Thanks for the help, that little lot should keep me going all weekend dragging myself into the 21st Century

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jonesian

I've imported and corrected my contacts in gmail, but weirdly on the SF handset, when I go into edit mode the whole address is all in the box for the first line of the address and the rest of the fields are blank - is this just a bug?

Is there anyway to change the format of the birthdays on the handset?

They are correct on gmail, ie 16 July 2010, but on the handset, it shows up as 2010-07-16, it may only be a minor detail but it irritates the hell out of me!

As for the calendar, how do I change the default setting on the telephone - I don't want it to show month view, I want week or day?

Unfortunately, as someone else said it doesn't seem to be able to sync over USB.

Thanks!

Guest chucky.egg
I've imported and corrected my contacts in gmail, but weirdly on the SF handset, when I go into edit mode the whole address is all in the box for the first line of the address and the rest of the fields are blank - is this just a bug?

If they appear correct in Google you could try editing them on the phone, sync'ing and seeing what happens in Google.

It might just be the way the handset displays the data

Is there anyway to change the format of the birthdays on the handset?

Try Menu - Settings - Date and Time - Select Date Format (that's from a Desire, might be slightly different path on the SF)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest kurpter
Hi, does anyone know any app to uninstall apps?

thx

Hi jaboloid, I use appuninstaller by gregory house, that is a great app, also he does alot more other apps that you might find useful.

Guest JamJarST
Does any one know of an app that when putting in an appointment in on your phone, you can also link it to a place on google maps?
I use Gemini Calendar and the location you point in the appointment is clickable and will take you to Maps.

Guest mickey megabyte
Does any one know of an app that when putting in an appointment in on your phone, you can also link it to a place on google maps?

i'm a jorte fan, and that (excellent and free) app can also do what you want, add a location to an appoitment which is clickable and takes you to maps.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jaboloid
Hi jaboloid, I use appuninstaller by gregory house, that is a great app, also he does alot more other apps that you might find useful.

Thanks, but I've found "Uninstaller for root" which is pretty good for uninstalling this kinda app :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
Guest anandroid

I Have discover Whatsfun, is the most original I've seen lately, fun and easy to use, for use with whatsapp.

byeeee :D

Edited by anandroid

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest yathestha

Pinned!

My current list:

Free

AndFTP - excellent FTP / SFTP client

beebPlayer - iPlayer for Android, works fantastically well over WiFi or 3G

Bonsai Blast - Great game from Glu, shouldn't be free!

Brain Genius Deluxe - Another great game from Glu, shouldn't be free!

Chomp SMS - The standard SMS client is weak, this one is awesome!

Compass - It's a, er, compass

ConnectBot - Excellent SSH client

Contact Owner - Show contact details on home screen

ES File Explorer - My favourite file explorer

Facebook Sync - Facebook contacts to your Android contacts

FBook - Facebook client

Locale - location based actions (with SMS and Twitter plugins)

MapWeasel - shows you traffic hold ups (UK) on a Google Map (shame the icon is so ugly!)0.23

My Tracks - Upload your GPS tracks to Google Maps then use...

My Maps Editor - To edit the above

PacMan - A classic

Palringo - The amazing multi IM app (join 'modaco')!

* PayPal - Official app doesn't seem to be in UK market, but i'm looking for the APK!

Pkt Auctions eBay - eBay client

Shake Awake - Shake the phone to wake when in a call

Shazam - Brill music tagging app

Sky Map - Excellent star map, I believe Google now have one of their own too?

SMS Popup - Popup when you get a SMS. Simple and effective!

Snap Photo Lite / Trial / Pro - Better camera app

Spare Parts - nice UI to get to settings you can't normally see. Speed up / add transition animations, enable haptics, show compass in Google Maps etc.

Statusnote - put notes in your status bar

The Weather Channel - Weather

ToggleWiFi - Excellent WiFi toggler, shows when on and disconnected

Twidroid - Stunning Twitter client

Where's my Android - Make your phone respond to a secret SMS by coming out of silent and making lots of noise. Great for when you lose the phone down the back of the sofa!

Paid

MyBackup Pro - Awesome backup utility!

Record It - Sky Remote Record for Android

ROM

I'm running Haykuro's Sapphire port atm, for the EXCELLENT HTC dialler.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest mmace

not essential, but I just discovered Fotodanz to create cinemagraphs

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.application.fotodanz

http://www.bbiggapps.com/products/fotodanz

I read about an iOS app in T3 that does the same, looked into it, discovered the images are called cinemagraphs and search for an Android app, think it's fairly new (only a few days old)

• 4 weeks later...