HSDPA questions

Guest mutant04

Guest mutant04

Hi All,

I have searched this forum, and other websites, but not really found the answer(s) that I was after. If the answers have already been posted, then I sincerely apologise.

First of all I'm a bit new to all this, some may say a noob. I have a i900, and was wondering what I need to use HSDPA on it.

I bought my Omnia sim-free from Expansys, and have my very old sim card in, to show how old its a BTCellnet sim card <_< .

So first off, I guess I will need a more up to date sim card.

Once I have a new simcard, (I have been told that O2 will upgrade it for free), will I be able to connect using HSDPA?

Other question I have are:

Is the O2 Mobile broadband the same as using HSDPA?

I was thinking of signing up to O2 Mobile Broadband, would Ibe able to use the sim card from this in my i900?

Does anyone know how much it will cost to be connected?

In short, all I want to do is to browser the net on my Omnia without it costing a small fortune, and at a decent speed. At present I'm using GPRS (and a Unlimited GPRS bolt on @ £7.50 a month on top of my tariff bill)

Any help/answers with regards this would be most grateful.

Guest FutureDirt

Hi Mutant,

q. Once I have a new simcard, (I have been told that O2 will upgrade it for free), will I be able to connect using HSDPA?

a. Yes, as long as the network carrier you are using supports it. (o2 UK does have HSDPA as far as i can remember)

q. Is the O2 Mobile broadband the same as using HSDPA?

a. Yes

q. I was thinking of signing up to O2 Mobile Broadband, would Ibe able to use the sim card from this in my i900?

a. Not sure what this package is tbh... sounds like it is probably a USB dongle in which case no, you cant use the SIM in your handset.

q. Does anyone know how much it will cost to be connected?

a. This is entirely dependent upon your tariff. Typically... without any data bundle you will be paying between £1 and £2 per MB in the UK ( i am assuming that you are UK based). whilst roaming however charges are very much more expensive... sometimes up to £12.50 per MB!

In short though... all you need to do get up and running on HSDPA is get that up to date SIM card from O2. Your unlimited GPRS bolt on from O2 is actually a data bolt on (ie/ not just for GPRS)... it covers GPRS connections, 3G connections AND HSDPA connections.

Hope that helps!

Guest mutant04

Thanks for your response FutureDirt, that has helped alot.

I was unaware that the GPRS bolt on would also allow 3G & HSDPA connections as well.

I will definitely get my sim upgraded. I should have done a long time ago.

Thanks again.