Kinoma Play updated and looking excellent - iPhone esq!

Guest deadphill

Guest deadphill

thumb_29-May-2009_29-May-2009_Kinoma_2DPlay.jpg
Yesterday saw a rather large update of Kinoma Play, a multimedia application for Windows Mobile.

I have been using Kinoma Play for the past few months, and have been waiting for them to update this program for a while

This update brings with it a new feel and updated applications and features.

For those of you who don't know what it does, Kinoma will play all your media files on your device, including most video files, as well as streaming your video content straight from home via Orb, and access to Shoutcast and Live 365 a paid for service with loads more internet radio stations.

I have been using this for some time now, and have to say when you are in the car, this is brilliant if there is nothing you want to listen to on the radio. Decent quality and network limitations depending, this works as sweet as a nut!

But now Kinoma have updated the UI to look very similar to the iPhone, complete with an apps store, access to social networking sites like facebook and twitter, rss feed reader, as well as flickr, youtube and last.fm support.

It really does look excellent now, very finger friendly like the iPhone, and while its a way off from being the iPhone, it really does look impressive.

There are two flavours of this software, Kinoma freeplay and Kinoma Play, both of which require a minimum of WM5 to run.

Kinoma freeplay does exactly what it says on the tin and is their free client which is actually very very useable. Kinoma play costs $29.99 (£18.58 which is correct via xe.com at time of publishing).

I must confess I don't know if they have changed kinoma freeplay as yet, but I hope to have a full review of this software coming your way in the near future, so stay tuned! In the meantime, why not check it out for yourself?

Download Kinoma Freeplay / Kinoma Play:

Cheers

Phill

Guest KSTAN

I just tried Kinoma Freeplay yesterday. It will request for email address and you need to enable WiFi in case u incur gprs charges. The it will send an activation email which u o'cos got to click to activate and to confirm with ur email again on ur PPC.

The installation was ok. interface wise wan't very user friendly, the player will just scanned for all media files and load it inot the library which i find it very unfriendly. i can only remove one at a time from the sort of playlist, there's no option to select all and remove(i'm not sure whether it also remove the physical files.

It would be better if it could let me select folders with the songs that i want to play instead of the need to go down to the individual files just to play 1 song... which i find it very unfriendly and difficult to use.

I find it worse than Windows Media Player, hence i uninstalled it...

Guest deadphill

KSTAN

I just tried Kinoma Freeplay yesterday. It will request for email address and you need to enable WiFi in case u incur gprs charges. The it will send an activation email which u o'cos got to click to activate and to confirm with ur email again on ur PPC.

Data charges will apply unless you have an inclusive data plan, that's for certain! And its quite common to have to click an activation link, most forums and other services on the web require you to do this. You dont have to use your PPC however to activate, this can be done on many other devices.

The installation was ok. interface wise wan't very user friendly, the player will just scanned for all media files and load it inot the library which i find it very unfriendly. i can only remove one at a time from the sort of playlist, there's no option to select all and remove(i'm not sure whether it also remove the physical files.
You can delete files individually using the icon in the bottom right which looks like 4 horizontal lines. Click on that and you have the option to remove the file. As for removing multiple files, Ill investigate. I dont often have stuff on there I dont want in the first place. Plus its not a major hassle to remove them in file explorer.

It would be better if it could let me select folders with the songs that i want to play instead of the need to go down to the individual files just to play 1 song... which i find it very unfriendly and difficult to use.
You can. Choose the "My Media" icon to do this.

I find it worse than Windows Media Player, hence i uninstalled it...
Your opinion of course, however it would have to go a long way to be worse. I dont believe it does and in fact is actually quite good.

Cheers

Phill

Guest GodsGift

downloaded and installed it on my omnia i900 winmo 6.5

cant do the activation email as it wont let me access my text keyboard. can get symbols and numbers but cant change to keyboard from keypad as its a non standard input pop up

uninstalled. sorry

GG

• 2 weeks later...
Guest camz

It lags on exit. I have to click the "x" on top to exit but not the ones on the bottom included in the 4 horizontal lines thing. It shows some "residue" of the menu screen after I clicked exit.

Works surprisingly well on my Qtek 8500 (smartflip)

However, the big problem for me is that it does not play WMA files, of which I have lots.

The full version might be able to do this but even then I believe it will struggle with DRM protected files.

I have seen some reference to "passing such files through to their native player" but I am not sure how this operates in practice.

I am currently getting to grips with Conduits Pocket Player which does not have this problem.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.