Developers - repack your APK files to Windows EXEs [Beta 1]

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul

Hot on the heels of my installAPK utility to let you install APKs from your Windows desktop, I now have another neat trick... which allows developers to distribute APKs as Windows EXE files instead.

What do I need?

NSIS install system - http://nsis.sourceforge.net

APK2EXE (my suite) - APK2EXE.zip

Your APK :)

What does the end user need?

The end user needs their device attached to their PC, with the appropriate drivers installed (which they can grab from http://android.modcao.com/usbdrivers).

How do I use it?

Follow these steps to create your executable!

• Extract APK2EXE to a new directory

• Add your APK to the directory

• Doubleclick APK2EXE.NSI and edit the 3 lines containing information about your application.

apk2exe1.png

• Right click the NSI file, and select 'Compile NSIS Script' - this will create your install EXE

apk2exe2.png

apk2exe3.png

• Test your installer! <_<

apk2exe4.png

Done! B)

P

• 1 month later...
Guest silverfoxdemars

hello,

I have windows vista and a HTC magic device.

When I double click on an apk file on muy computer, USB driver are required. Can you tell me where to copy those drivers please?

THX

Silverfoxdemars

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Magnetic_dud

sorry if i am rude, but i hope that no developers will adopt this system

I hate to running setups on my pc, the best way to distribute the apps is through the market; if the developer wanna make it easier for people to find their app on the market, they could just embed a QR code...

edit: btw this is the best solution for who is not having a data plan or wifi access on his android device

Edited by Magnetic_dud

• 1 month later...
Guest Julian_Rayner

Unfortunately not all countries have access to paid apps,

so developers need some other mechanism to sell the applications, installation is of course a very very important part of that process

Well done Paul, have already put a couple of people to your pages on this,

Julian

• 2 weeks later...
Unfortunately not all countries have access to paid apps,

so developers need some other mechanism to sell the applications, installation is of course a very very important part of that process

Well done Paul, have already put a couple of people to your pages on this,

Julian

There is a good 3rd party market in the wild, its called SlideME. http://slideme.org/

:)

sorry if i am rude, but i hope that no developers will adopt this system

I hate to running setups on my pc, the best way to distribute the apps is through the market; if the developer wanna make it easier for people to find their app on the market, they could just embed a QR code...

edit: btw this is the best solution for who is not having a data plan or wifi access on his android device

AFraid I agree with Magnetic_dud but for a different reason...

I run two operating systems in my house, one is OS X 10.6 the other is Ubuntu, my Hero works great with these two OS's out of the box, if developers start implementing Windows based installers for distributing applications it will isolate me and any other non-Windows users.

Primarily I would like to use the Market Place, if that is not an option then some cross platform installer would be welcomed (e.g. Java based).

Paul's concept is great, but a cross platform solution would make a great idea even better! :)

• 4 years later...
Guest svmd88

Sorry for resurrecting the dead but...

I have just found this little gem you have created and I love it, but I am having a little trouble. First there was a report from NSIS saying an error on line line 14 - figured that one out you had: name ${NAME} instead of: name "${NAME}"

then i managed to pack the file into an exe, but then I get this error when trying to install me exe pack

Untitled.jpg

I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong. any help would be great!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Trung Nguyen
On 8/21/2017 at 12:56 PM, daniel chu said:

when i try to download your apk2exe file it does not work properly. why?599a75cbc8d4d_.png.fbacacb2b9ff94b149e093a69775e333.png

I got the same error.

2 Years ago, there was nothing to download.

Last year, it was a blank zip file.

Now, it is this stupid ipb file.

Please fix this problem. If the program is fake, please just admit it.

post-1-1243935314 (1).ipb

Edited by Trung Nguyen