The Official HTC Touch Pro2 'Ask Paul' thread

Guest PaulOBrien

/>
type='application/x-shockwave-flash' allowfullscreen='true' width='598' height='360'>If you asked me to name my favourite WinMo devices of all time, the HTC Kaiser variants (aka the TyTN II) would be right up there. Since the Kaiser however i've kinda moved on to keyboardless devices, mostly because the original Touch Pro really didn't tick the box for me, in many ways it felt a little bit like a step backwards. I know I'm not the only one that feels this is the case, but HTC have finally released what looks to be a real spiritual success to the Kaiser, the Touch Pro2!

I've just received my Touch Pro2, and i've unboxed it on video here. I'm also ready to take any questions you may have on the device in advance of the full review!

Fire away! :D

If you like to buy a device, head on over to the Touch Pro2 page at eXpansys (and don't forget our discount vouchers!) or devicewire.

P

Guest Flubster

hmm..... new phone or new tellly hmmmmm

(really want to replace my kaiser with this.... But a new panny plasma looks nice......)

Flubster

Guest mwright

Yeah - I have to say that I would LOVE to replace my TytnII with one of these.

My problem is that I have to wat to see if the rumours that Orange are going to take this are true!

We can only wait and hope I guess.

(Unless anyone knows otherwise............)

Guest Scottola

I'm a TyTnII owner with my contract ready for renewal and this is the phone for me. It's now popped up on the coming soon page on Vodafone.

I wonder how long it takes to go from their coming soon into being available. As soon as it does I'm on the phone to upgrades.

Edited by Scottola

Guest hunyango_uk

My problem is that I have to wat to see if the rumours that Orange are going to take this are true!

have phoned orange bout leaving them co'z of the outrageous upgrade price of touch hd. then a cs rep told me to wait for touch pro(2 weeks ago), says that probably he can give me a good deal that time. apparently when i rang them again the next cs rep i spoke to says that Touch Pro 2 is still on testing.

can't wait anymore, go to mobile phones direct last friday ported my number on vodafone and voila the next day i already have it (touch pro 2 is network unlock and using htc rom so a bonus for me). :D

Edited by hunyango_uk

Guest GordonTGopher

Paul,

I've seen a few comments about the HTC voice dialling application being omitted from the TP2 and Microsoft voice command not working, would really appreciate it if you could comment / find the time to test.

Thanks,

Gordon

Guest MadMatt2002

Does anyone have any idea if this will be available on T-mobile?

I have 2 upgrade due at work - we use the sims in gsm modems - and clock up about £500 a month on them, so that should get me a decent upgrade I hope!

Thanks

Matthew

Guest hunyango_uk

pros:

UI is reponsive, no lagging

keyboard is well designed

the metal case is sturdy and nice finish

tv out function is really good, not the best but good enough (adaptor/connector not in the box)

tilting screen is back

most of all this is my fave, straight talk is a good addition. very handy while driving

*some says this got the hardware for fm radio but there's no radio app well, it is working alright, just installed the cab file and works a treat. :D

cons:

BATTERY LIFE (tough it's got 1500 mah)

the magnet thingy of stylus from touch pro is omitted

i miss the D pad from touch pro and tytn ii

not too much hardware button

lack of 3.5mm jack for stereo headphones

i don't like the other stuffs from the box that comes with it, it looks cheap and plasticky

Edited by hunyango_uk

Guest touficjohn
have phoned orange bout leaving them co'z of the outrageous upgrade price of touch hd. then a cs rep told me to wait for touch pro(2 weeks ago), says that probably he can give me a good deal that time. apparently when i rang them again the next cs rep i spoke to says that Touch Pro 2 is still on testing.

can't wait anymore, go to mobile phones direct last friday ported my number on vodafone and voila the next day i already have it (touch pro 2 is network unlock and using htc rom so a bonus for me). :D

Wow! What?

You got an unbranded Touch Pro 2, SIM unlocked and using the original HTC ROM on Vodafone!?!?!?! 0o

Guest greenturtle

I've been speaking to different people at Orange and it's gone from 'within 2 weeks' (this was mid may I was told this) to the phone not being listed on the system, to the Diamond2 being released?

It seems the HD is out of stock and I had been told that it was being discontinued and replaced by another handset. Some reps have told me that it was Touch Pro2 and some have told me they do not know.

I've just been emailing Orange (they have this irritating habit where you hit the reply button and a different person replies) all of them told me it was only going to be released on Business, but then the TyTn II was also a similar circumstance and I'm currently a proud owner of one of those.

Yesterday morning the Touch HD was taken off the website! So I'm going to keep playing it from the angle of 'What phone is going to replace the HD on the personal account' and 'I want a Windows Mobile phone with a keyboard because I can't stand purely touch screen phones!'

One person I spoke to said they're looking at replacing it with the Touch Diamond2 and when I said 'does that have a keyboard?' He said no it doesn't but the Touch Pro2 does (in a hesistant voice).

I went on to ask whether that would be available for me to upgrade to as a personal user and he said yes it should be, but there is no indication of price yet as it's too early on.

I'm sure the next person I speak too, will tell me otherwise...

Edited by greenturtle

Big question is HD or Pro2?

(Since I know you don't really rate the Diamond 2)

Hmmm, actually I don't mind the Diamond2 now... :D

Between the 3, tough call...

P

Guest greenturtle

I has a question for you.

Apparently the Zoom bar can be used for a range of applications like Messaging, Music Applications and some others like that. What does it actually do in the Music and Messaging application?

Guest greenturtle

Thanks.

I hope some clever person writes some software that utilises it a bit better. Like the guy that made Smartskey back in the day of the Wizard :D

Guest hunyango_uk
Wow! What?

You got an unbranded Touch Pro 2, SIM unlocked and using the original HTC ROM on Vodafone!?!?!?! 0o

yep, it was posted somewhere else. then i did try, it's not gonna hurt if you try. though it's not actually on the vodafone website but from another seller.

if i was not mistaken it was www.mobilephonesdirect.co.uk, give it a shot.

Guest VulakAerr
Paul,

I've seen a few comments about the HTC voice dialling application being omitted from the TP2 and Microsoft voice command not working, would really appreciate it if you could comment / find the time to test.

Thanks,

Gordon

Voice Command 1.6 UK PPC edition definitely works. Must admit I hadn't thought to look for the built in voice-dial program until you mentioned it, but you are correct in that it is absent. It was cack anyway. Voice Command is made from awesome.

Guest VulakAerr
Paul, have you tried TomTom 7 on the TP2?

I haven't managed to get this working yet. I think my version is too old. It's struggling with the resolution. I'm sure all I need is an updated CAB though. :D

Guest AlecR
I'm a TyTnII owner with my contract ready for renewal and this is the phone for me. It's now popped up on the coming soon page on Vodafone.

I wonder how long it takes to go from their coming soon into being available. As soon as it does I'm on the phone to upgrades.

Went into Vodafone shop yesterday and told it is now available through "business-oriented" outlets and in-stock at the warehouse - they could order me one to look at, but unfortunately I don't have anywhere near enough in my upgrade pot, so will probably change network as now out of contract.

Guest GordonTGopher
Voice Command 1.6 UK PPC edition definitely works. Must admit I hadn't thought to look for the built in voice-dial program until you mentioned it, but you are correct in that it is absent. It was cack anyway. Voice Command is made from awesome.

Great news! I agree with you about the quality of both the HTC app and Voice Command. Off to Mobilephonesdirect tommorrow to sign my life away for a new phone :D now I've had this confirmed!

Gordon

Guest reefur

My question would be ...how is the camera?....does it still lag to no end?....no matter what tweaks i used it was sad using the tp's camera..lag lag lag...hey guys...hold that pose for like 7 seconds while my phone gets the pic!...

Guest Scottola

Nice one cheers, I'm out of contract. I'll have to how I get on with upgrades, then probably retention and if they say business only, I'll have to try through the business line.

I did orignally have to get the Tytn II through their business line, so I'll have to cross my fingers.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.